Suggestion: In-app link files

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

coolfizzin

Suggestion: In-app link files

Post by *coolfizzin »

To start, I fully understand that symbolic links cannot be supported within Total Commander because of the limitations of Android. Android does not expose direct file system access to apps like Total Commander but instead mediates file access through FUSE or sdcardfs, which maintains backwards compatibility with FAT (which does not support symlinks at all) and limits app access to sensitive data.

I suggest that, instead, Total Commander should make its own shortcut files akin to Windows's .LNK files. These would be simple text files that indicate a directory or file on the device. Total Commander would recognize them by their extension and make it so that executing or sharing the link file automatically executes or shares the object to which it points. While these link files would obviously not be readable to any other file manager without modification, they would work seamlessly within Total Commander itself.

I am not the only person who has thought that Android could use links to improve file organization. What do you think?

Thanks!