TC 10.5 v32+64-bit can not be installed in win 7 eng.

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Li Yongzhen

TC 10.5 v32+64-bit can not be installed in win 7 eng.

Post by *Li Yongzhen »

error information:
-------------------------------
Could not open file D:\totalcmd\TCMDX64.EXE for writing!
try again?
-------------------------------

and i try again, but error remains.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC 10.5 v32+64-bit can not be installed in win 7 eng.

Post by *petermad »

Try and see if TCMDX64.EXE is stuck as a process in Windows Tasklist - Processes. Or simply reboot and try installing again.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Phred

Post by *Phred »

I've just had this happen with repeated attempts at installing TC 10.5 [sig below].

Nothing I tried could get beyond the 33% mark of the installation process.
I looked in Task Manager, but that doesn't have a Find function, so I tried Process Hacker, which does.

It found a few instances of 'Total Commander' stuck in the system so I closed them (requiring a refresh/re-find afterwards) and tried installing again - no luck.
After looking in Processes I searched in Services - none.
Nothing in Network.
After a (required) restart as admin I searched in Disk - and there were 10,000 references to Total Commander. Well... 50.
Ctrl-A and Del (context Close was disabled) eliminated all but two.
I noticed beside the Find dialogue that there was a Total Commander process running so I closed Find and went to Terminate the tree (r/click).

The problem became solved, more or less: I received a BSOD.

After a spontaneous reboot, installation of TC 10.5 was possible.
Regards, PhredE
Licence holder since 1999
Awaiting a $D donors-token for the title-bar so we can display that we have donated further.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks for your report. I do not understand this specific point:
After a (required) restart as admin I searched in Disk - and there were 10,000 references to Total Commander. Well... 50.
What do you mean with this? Were they other installations?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Phred

Post by *Phred »

In Process Hacker on the Disk tab (that required an admin restart (of Process Hacker), a context that I rarely use) there was a long list of Find results of 'Total Commander'.
No instances of TC were ostensibly running although I had probably closed and restarted TC many times since reboot for unexceptional reasons, and had attempted <50 times to install the new TC 10.5.
Installations: yes, one other one on disk in C:\Program Files\Total Commander Beta\TOTALCMD64.EXE - but that wasn't running either.

[Update] 'Were they other installations?' (I read 'they' as 'there'.) I couldn't tell; there were no other particular traceable identifiers: they all appeared as close to the same, as 'Total Commander (####)' - various numbers, that meant nothing to me.
Regards, PhredE
Licence holder since 1999
Awaiting a $D donors-token for the title-bar so we can display that we have donated further.
tcOne

Post by *tcOne »

2Phred
use the Details tab of Task Manager to look for running processes. The Processes tab is almost useless. Click the Name column header in the Details tab to sort by that column. You can easily locate what you're looking for there, since it's alphabetically sorted. If you click once in the list, so it gets keyboard focus, you can type the first letter(s) of the process you're looking for.
Of course, Process Hacker is a way better tool. Ctrl+K to set the focus to the search box (or simply click in it) and type anything to filter on all the text containing displayed columns. Running it always as admin is the preferred way.
Kind regards