symlink/junction search / copy symlinks as symlinks

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

nice

symlink/junction search / copy symlinks as symlinks

Post by *nice »

suggestions:
1. option to search files that are symlinks/junction points (even double commander can that)
2. count directory size without junction points (even explorer can that)
3. copy files with: a) follow link, b) copy link (absolute paths), c) copy link (relative paths) (probably again, double commander can Some of that)
not sure about absolute paths, if you copy dir from C: to D:, the link will remain to C:?
can i copy installed windows to another drive with correct links?
4. display hardlinks (again, explorer can that, with diff'rent icon for sym/hard/junc)
5. when open properties of file in total commander 32 bit, the tab "link properties" is missing. not a bug? wontfix?

if you go to c:\Documents and Settings, you are moved to c:\Users (it is a junction), and if you go back, the cursor will stay on C:\Users, and not on Documents on Settings,
but in manually create junction from c:\folder1 to c:\folder2, when enter to c:\folder1, you don't "go" to c:\folder2 , you are "remain" in c:\folder1. the displayed path will remain the same.
i don't know the difference
Last edited by nice on 2022-08-23, 01:37 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: symlink/junction search

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

1. You can do this via Plugins page with the internal field tc -> file type = symbolic link
2. Have a look at the IgnoreLinks option
3. See 2
4. TC shows them as <LNK>, and you can define a custom color via method 1
5. It must be a 64-bit only Explorer extension
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
nice

Post by *nice »

Plugins? INI? Restart TC? Isn't it a previous century? See "Total Commander too unintuitive?"
When I copy a dir, I may not guess that there are any "links". Shouldn't it show that it's a link and suggest a dialogue? Should I set the settings for the links before, for any further cases, and change the settings (and restart, restart) each time I copy folder with the different scenario, and should I remember what was the last setting it was set to?
How am I supposed to know if this is possible rather than searching or proposing to make this possible?
When it came across for read-only file, why it's shows a dialogue rather than "setting a setting" for all read-only files?

4. It's for soft links but not for hard links. "hardlinks can't be detected as links", but how does Explorer detects them?
5. Why? What is wrong with that tab and no other tabs? If 64-bit apps can be run from 32-bit TC, why it can't display a 64-bit dialog properties?

previous topics:
copy symlinks as symlinks
TC 9.22a behavior of copying/moving/sync. NTFS link types (see image. conclusion: it's impossible regardless of the settings)
Add option in copy dialog for junction (2013)
Please add HardLink/Junction/SymLink support to Copy window
Do not follow NTFS links (2012)
Option to not follow junctions in search
How-to Copy symbolic links itself, not the content?
"Copy symbolic links" option in Copy/move window
Copy links as links
Is it possible to copy file symlinks as links?

make it convenient, or read the tired manual? by what keywords?
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

2nice
the tab "link properties" is missing.
rather surprised that there turns out to be some kind of tab - even only in explorer - that shows some information on the links...
Can I get a screenshot of that? I've just never seen a tab like that anywhere. Yeah and I haven't even heard - that it's ever been added anywhere.

Could it be that you just put some kind of extension for explorer specifically a long time ago? Like https://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html
#146217 personal license
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

2ghisler(Author)
TC shows them as <LNK>, and you can define a custom color via method 1
Indeed - as our colleague noted above - the work with links cannot be hidden as deep as it is now - use INI file, search some option-set its value, restart TC. And it can’t be done in the form of parameters that are kind of "set once and for all". This functionality should be at the forefront! At least as options on the F5|F6 copy/move dialog. It can also be in the vertical Bar/menu buttons. But the option to work with links should somehow unambiguously show its status at any moment of the operation related to copying/moving and counting the occupied disk space!

The same goes for color customization. It’s strange to see a proposal to do it from scratch and not see some default set. But these objects are not some special files/special extensions that could interest only a few users - these windows objects have long been a direct part of the Windows! Therefore, any user of any version of windows will benefit from being able to enable visualization of these object types if this coloring becomes a direct part of the program installation. And yes - any or more precisely - ALL types of links, not just the mentioned LNK files.
#146217 personal license
nice

Post by *nice »

Could it be that you just put some kind of extension for explorer specifically a long time ago? Like https://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html
yes
for display hardlinks, i use plugin "ntlinks"
1. create search template, "search with plugins", "ntlinks", property: HLNK_Count > 1 , save it with name "Hardlinks 2"
2. (for colorization) configuration, display, color, define colors by file type, add, "Hardlinks 2"
3. (for tooltip) configuration, display, help texts, user-defined, add, "Hardlinks 2", enter custom fields:
Hardlinks: [=ntlinks.HLNK_Count]\nCopies: [=ntlinks.HLNK_Paths]
nice

Post by *nice »

the work with links is not working even with INI settings (CopyLinks), if you have seen image in link 2
https://i.postimg.cc/z5vSKbsK/Total-Commander-922ax86-ntfs-links-warning-and-table.png
i haven't tested it myself
there shouldn't be option in the copy dialog for copy (sym)links, but when it comes across the symlink, it should show confirmation:
1. follow link (copy as files) for this file
2. follow link (copy as files) for all
3. copy link as link (absolute paths) for this file
4. copy link as link (absolute paths) for all
5. copy link as link (relative paths) for this file
6. copy link as link (relative paths) for all

there shouldn't be copying without confirmation
someone may not know about the links, and they will turn into files
konfekt

Re: symlink/junction search / copy symlinks as symlinks

Post by *konfekt »

Are these options mere suggestions, or are they implemented though undocumented?