MultiRenameTool to mark files that match filter

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Achiles

MultiRenameTool to mark files that match filter

Post by *Achiles »

Could Total Commander's MultiRename Tool mark the files that match the filter/string of the 'Search & Replace' section?

I sometimes need multiple operations done on a list, but since it's tedious to first select just the right files, I load them all in MRT and the operation is performed only on the files that match the criteria for change. But in a long list, I cannot easily see, which are those files or how many there are.

I would find it very helpful if the files that are to be changed (or those that aren't) appear in a different colour so as to have immediate visual feedback of which files match the criteria. Currently, my 'workaround' is to temporarily write a line of dashes after the string in the 'Replace with' box
(e.g. newword -------------------------), so like this, if I scroll down before executing the Rename, I can easily see, which filenames will be modified.

Also, it would be neat if the MRT window showed the number of files loaded and the number of files that match the Search&Replace criteria in the status bar.

Thank you for considering this.
jinsight

Re: MultiRenameTool to mark files that match filter

Post by *jinsight »

Support++
Last edited by jinsight on 2022-05-25, 16:17 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #1945
Windows 10 Pro x64
Version 22H2 (OS Build 19045.3930)
TC 11.00 x64 and x86, Everything 1.5.0.1366a x64, QAP 11.6.3.1 x64
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

Support++
Highlighted (same as selected) rows where old name <> new name.
Summary in bottom before "Please press 'start'...." adding xxx/nnn where xxx is number of renamed files and nnn total number of loaded files.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

Achiles wrote: 2022-05-24, 12:29 UTC Could Total Commander's MultiRename Tool mark the files that match the filter/string of the 'Search & Replace' section?

... I load them all in MRT and the operation is performed only on the files that match the criteria for change.

I would find it very helpful if the files that are to be changed (or those that aren't) appear in a different colour so as to have immediate visual feedback of which files match the criteria.
Up to here you are talking about marking the files that match the search criteria.
Achiles wrote: 2022-05-24, 12:29 UTC Currently, my 'workaround' is to temporarily write a line of dashes after the string in the 'Replace with' box (e.g. newword -------------------------), so like this, if I scroll down before executing the Rename, I can easily see, which filenames will be modified.
Now you are talking about files that will actually be changed. This is not the same. I think it is important to differentiate between the two. This may seem trivial for normal search and replace, but isn't if you use complex regular expressions.

Both, the files that match the search criteria and the files that will actually be changed, are important information. Perhaps both should be visible.
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

white wrote: 2022-05-25, 08:09 UTC ...
Now you are talking about files that will actually be changed. This is not the same. I think it is important to differentiate between the two. This may seem trivial for normal search and replace, but isn't if you use complex regular expressions.

Both, the files that match the search criteria and the files that will actually be changed, are important information. Perhaps both should be visible.
You are right both information should be easily identified:
  • Files that match the search expression for search and replace, this could be useful when using complex regular expression.
  • Files that will be renamed. Actually having new name column only filled if it is not equal to the old name, could enhance visibility.