F4 from Lister to Editor

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Hacker

Re: F4 from Lister to Editor

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
Well, if somebody activated a plugin for a text file it's probably an editor plugin, so they don't need to invoke the external editor using F4, so I assume TC does not need to handle F4 if a Lister plugin is active.
As for temporary files, I rarely work with them so I don't have good ideas for solutions. It seems the only difference between pressing F3 and F4 on an FTP server is that the message waiting for the editor to close can be opened in the foreground. Perhaps someone else has a good idea on solving this.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

Hacker wrote: 2024-01-17, 12:11 UTCPerhaps someone else has a good idea on solving this.
Yes. . That you can switch this whole thing off completely and without leaving any residue, so that there are no undesirable side effects in handling, as I am now experiencing in the sync tool, which disrupts my workflow *).

Joube

*) Often, if I have marked files an the right side within the sync tool and want to delete them, the compare tool in the context menu comes suddenly up now and disturbe the selection of the delete item lower in the context menu (all handling with the mouse). Before Tc11 I have no problem with this. But now I can only use the context menu within sync tool slowly and carefully while handling with the right mouse button. This is a side effect of revising the context menu. Very annoying for me. So please avoid side effects here now (specially for the SFTP plugin /tmp files).
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

can switch this whole thing off completely
What do you want to switch off? Lister itself? F4 in Lister? Editing files from ftp or archives?
Often, if I have marked files an the right side within the sync tool and want to delete them, the compare tool in the context menu comes suddenly up now and disturbe the selection of the delete item lower in the context menu
You probably have a not so high screen compared to the font size, so when you right click, the context menu will appear below the mouse. Before TC11 there were less menu items, so the menu was smaller.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2024-01-18, 07:54 UTC
can switch this whole thing off completely
What do you want to switch off? Lister itself? F4 in Lister? Editing files from ftp or archives?
I want to have a switch to completely switch of the requested new feature: "F4 from Lister to Editor". I fear side effects when working with plugins (temp files). Decision Lister or Editor appears here mainly after the search (Alt+F7) and - since a few? Tc versions - I can decide within the listbox for myself whether I press F3 or F4 (if necessary go back to the list and press the other key)

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2024-01-18, 07:54 UTC
Often, if I have marked files an the right side within the sync tool and want to delete them, the compare tool in the context menu comes suddenly up now and disturbe the selection of the delete item lower in the context menu
You probably have a not so high screen compared to the font size, so when you right click, the context menu will appear below the mouse. Before TC11 there were less menu items, so the menu was smaller.
Yes (both: font size and TC11), and it significantly disrupts my workflow (slows it down) because I always have to keep it in the back of my mind. *)

Joube

*) But, this is an idea: I will shorten the texts 6261 - 6292 in *.lng (as I already changed some texts in the range 6251 - 6260). Maybe it helps.

Edit: Yes, shorten the texts 6261 - 6292 in *.lng helps. Annoying that I didn't see the cause of the ugly issue of TC11 myself... But whatever, shorten up the texts works... (But - by the way - maybe I will make a suggestion to arrange the context menu 1 or 2 pixels away from the mouse cursor in sync tool to avoid accidential clicks. Or is this (the positioning of the context menu) totally a windows function?)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I want to have a switch to completely switch of the requested new feature: "F4 from Lister to Editor". I fear side effects when working with plugins (temp files).
F4 will do nothing at all when using a plugin, or when viewing a temporary file, so no side effects.
Yes (both: font size and TC11), and it significantly disrupts my workflow (slows it down) because I always have to keep it in the back of my mind. *)
Just use the keyboard to open the context menu instead.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have added this to 11.03 RC1 now. Please let me know what you think, and whether you encountered any problems.
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

But for some reason there is NO any mention in any sub-item of Lister's main menu that it is possible now
to call the command to Edit an open file by pressing F4.
#146217 personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Adding it to the menu would require a new translation, so I will only add it to the next major version.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
From a very quick test, seems to work exactly as expected, thank you! Except for, well, I never thought it would leave the Lister open after opening the editor. To me it's "switch to editor", not "open the file in an editor in addition to being open in Lister".
Did anyone here who asked for the functionality envision keeping Lister open upon launching the editor?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm keeping it open for the case that the user pressed F4 by accident.
jbcb

Post by *jbcb »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2024-01-18, 15:12 UTC I have added this to 11.03 RC1 now. Please let me know what you think, and whether you encountered any problems.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! This will save me a lot of work and stress.
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

Did anyone here who asked for the functionality envision keeping Lister open upon launching the editor?
Nope...
#146217 personal license
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *hi5 »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2024-01-19, 07:49 UTCI'm keeping it open for the case that the user pressed F4 by accident.
I haven't read all new posts in this thread, but just throwing it out there: perhaps make this user configurable in the settings

[ ] enable F4 to open in editor
[ ] ask for confirmation to edit*
[ ] automatically close lister after opening in editor

* this would prevent the accidental "edits", I can imagine when viewing a very large log file you don't want to open it in an editor that isn't capable of actually opening it -> would result in freezing of the editor or crash.
F4MiniMenu (Forum) - Open selected file(s) from TC in defined editor(s) - A (minimalistic) clone of F4Menu
Source at GitHub (AutoHotkey). TCSyncComments (copy file comments)
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Hacker wrote: 2024-01-18, 22:30 UTC Christian,
From a very quick test, seems to work exactly as expected, thank you! Except for, well, I never thought it would leave the Lister open after opening the editor. To me it's "switch to editor", not "open the file in an editor in addition to being open in Lister".
I thought lister was supposed to stay open.

But perhaps use two shortcuts:
F4 = Open file in editor, keep Lister open
Shift+F4 = Open file in editor, close Lister (switch to editor)

or vice-versa
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
kesdoputr

Post by *kesdoputr »

hi5 wrote: 2024-01-19, 22:22 UTC
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2024-01-19, 07:49 UTCI'm keeping it open for the case that the user pressed F4 by accident.
I haven't read all new posts in this thread, but just throwing it out there: perhaps make this user configurable in the settings

[ ] enable F4 to open in editor
[ ] ask for confirmation to edit*
[ ] automatically close lister after opening in editor

* this would prevent the accidental "edits", I can imagine when viewing a very large log file you don't want to open it in an editor that isn't capable of actually opening it -> would result in freezing of the editor or crash.
Agree with hi5, this is better to have options for user to configure this new feature.