It does not allow copying, creating, deleting, or browsing folders with a total length greater than 1023 characters.

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

streik

Re: It does not allow copying, creating, deleting, or browsing folders with a total length greater than 1023 characters.

Post by *streik »

Forgive me for being a bit long, but I think it is necessary, what I am going to say to you, those who listen to me:
think big.
close your eyes for a moment.
Visualize all the things you'd like your program to do that it doesn't.
Find the way.
Engineer them to get it.
and do it.
And if someone tells you that you can't, or you tell yourself that you can't, ignore them.
do it.
Rockets land vertically, because:
1) Or, the one who figured it out and got it, was 20 minutes late to class, and missed the part, where the teacher said they landed in the sea.
And since this student didn't know that, then he figured out a way for them to land on their feet.

2) Or is it that the engineer, did like Edison, and tried and tried and tried, tried, he closed his eyes and asked the pillow some questions, he meditated, saw the future, and tried again, the inspiration came WHILE TRYING, while he was working on it , and... he persevered, persisted, insisted, until he succeeded.

Do a parallel job, if necessary.

---

You are a great programmer.
And the forum team is too.
I have always said that: "The engineer manages to" find a way "to get what he wants, or what he needs to get.

Focus on making the program 100 times better than it is. Which is already very good.

But, it would be something like:
The world rally champion, the technician times him, opens the window, and tells him, "you have outdone yourself", you have made a better time.

His program, Total Commander, is the best in the world. He has been, and will continue to be.

But... I personally would do one thing.

In the supposed case (in the hypothetical case) that it required a total change,
If I may say so, I would do the following:

While they are doing the current (usual) modifications:

* It would make a list of all the modifications that could not be done so far,
* and I would also add this from LongPath,
* and that of directly comparing files with the clouds requesting the hash that each cloud had (without having to download the file) to know if they are exactly the same, because many clouds do not copy the exact date and time that they had, when uploading the files,
* and many other modifications,

and in a PARALLEL way

Could you get a team of programmers to do the program again?
* as if it were a photocopy with the naked eye,
* but improved inside and out too. If possible, visibly improved.
* but improved,
* looking at the proposed improvements not made so far,
* consulting the experts and helpers and programmers of the forum.
* It would even open an IMPORTANT THREAD, about essential proposals in this regard.
* and looking at the good points of other similar tools, to implement them also in the new improved program. (like the world rally champion, who improves himself, and that's why he's still world champion).
* and also, so that it would work directly on:
All platforms.

It is my humble and modest opinion.

But of course, there are people who would say that for that you have to be young, or you have to have drive.

Well, take a young team, and with drive, and as Elon Mask says, they know more than you. And so, surely it will surpass itself, as far as the program is concerned.

I know the program has taken a long time to do.
I know.

But the time has come to make a thought.
We are in a moment of a new technological, informatic, scientific stage, and of all kinds.

Dare.
Look for people who encourage you to do so.

You can do a lot for the humanity of this world, with your program.

Consider it a mission.

But yes, put the best of the best that you always wanted to put on.
And stop squeamishness, and stories, and dare to get it.

If you don't, there's a chance that one day you'll regret not doing it.

On the other hand, if he does, he will surely be super proud of himself.
I know it already is.

But, forgive me for saying, but:
* If there are other file exploration tools that do it and perfectly well, this is the LONGPATH, far exceeding several thousand characters, already tested and checked.

* if the usual file compressors, the LONGPATH of several thousand characters, do it perfectly well, already checked.

* There are file exploration tools, which in the comparison of files with the cloud, ask the cloud server for the hash, to know if the file is exact and perfect. (Without having to download the file completely). And the comparison is exact, perfect, bit by bit, thanks to the hash.

* do you that when copying the files to the clouds, change the date of the file in the cloud, and put the one that has the file.

* and many more things that you already know

So it has to be done.

And the sooner they start (to encourage each other) the better.

Let's not leave for tomorrow what we can do today.

If you have to do parallel work, "do it".
Last edited by streik on 2022-05-30, 11:01 UTC, edited 7 times in total.
digitaldog4

Re: It does not allow copying, creating, deleting, or browsing folders with a total length greater than 1023 characters.

Post by *digitaldog4 »

I like that pro-user attitude: "I won't change it because no. I won't even consider it, because I know better and I don't listen to what you all whine there. And if you insist, the reason is [insert any irrelevant technical reason here]." And hey, it's my tool, and if you don't like it, go somewhere else. Or write your own Commander. By the way, I've done this really important change: "Configure extra space around drive button icons via Configuration - Options - Icons".
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

digitaldog4,
I've done this really important change: "Configure extra space around drive button icons via Configuration - Options - Icons".
Well, it seems it is more useful to people than increasing the character limit. Apart from that, yes, you are right, the author can do whatever he wants with his software, and we are free to use or not to use it. We've all gone through the phase where a feature we requested was not implemented and we've learned to live with it, or moved to other file managers.

streik,
People seem to like Double Commander as a TC alternative, perhaps it does support longer paths than TC, you might want to give it a try.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
streik

Post by *streik »

The limits are extended on, the compressors, and on the windows.
Years ago I asked to be able to compare files with the clouds, by asking the server for the hash. The hashes that can be requested from the most common clouds are specified. I mean, you know what they are.
I asked for it so that the whole file didn't have to be downloaded, to be able to compare it bit by bit. Because there are huge files.
There are tools that allow you to do it.
And with total commander you have to download the entire file, and then also compare bit by bit, if it is exactly the same.
The normal, the ideal, and what already exists, and is done, is to automatically compare the files, the comparison program requests the hash from the server, and compares it with that of the local file.

It seems to me that this could be quite, easy, and useful.

Well, it hasn't been implemented.

I don't know anymore, if it's because, you can't either. I do not know anymore.

The point is that much to my regret, I have to use some tools for some things, and other tools for others.

When the one in control of the plane, the commander, could do everything. But he does not.

I do not know why.

Well, the clouds, today, are the order of the day. I mean, clouds are used a lot nowadays. It is something current.

And hard drives today go to 20 Tb. And WD says it already has 26TB.

And Windows OS has tens of thousands of characters to name folders. (They will have done it for something).

The compressors, too, the same. (they would have done it for something).

I could also say: It's okay, don't worry, I already have it solved.

But, it is that I would like, that this program (the Total Commander) continued carrying the baton of complete control).

This no longer depends on me, nor on the people who use it. And encourages to make new buildings.

.What do you think?

Total Commander is still a very good tool. The
things as they are. But new winds are glimpsed.

What I love is that it works for windows xp, and for linux with wine. I think this will stay that way. Because it is used in many countries, and in many old computers. And this too, is a good service to humanity.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's not sufficient to change the length constant from 1024 to something bigger and hope that it just works. It would take weeks or even months to thoroughly test all the affected functions, which is almost 100% of the program. And what for? You are the first who has ever suggested this change out of millions of users.

Have you actually ever encountered such long paths in real life? A character limit of 5120 would mean that you need to create 20 levels of folders with the maximum length of 255 characters. And a directory with 255 characters is almost unusable, it can't even be shown as a whole in the panel title. And then go down 20 levels with such long folders and try to remember where you are? That's completely impractical.

I have created some 1023 character paths for test purposes, and even these are hard to navigate because you lose the overview of where you are. And then try double clicking a file in such a folder - you will have a bad surprise with most programs.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
streik

Post by *streik »

You are right about the length of the folders.
In comparison, checking the hash, directly requesting it from the cloud servers, this would be very good.
To avoid having to download the entire file to be able to make the comparison.
The subject of the clouds, I believe that it is necessary to promote it much more.
And compress directly to the cloud, with total commander, in 7zip, rar, zip, etc.
With password, and header encryption.
And also be able to download some files from a cloud tablet, without having to download the entire file.
streik

Post by *streik »

Nowadays, there is a lot of industrial espionage, etc, etc.
It would go very well, this proposal, for data security:
A system that would allow encrypting (with various types of encryption, even in cascade) the chosen files and/or folders, before compressing, (with their corresponding encryption password and choosing whether headers), and then copy it to the corresponding place where it was chosen , (either LAN, or cloud, or Local).

To decompress, it would do the reverse operation, or you could also choose the files within the compressed file.

The entire compression and extraction operation should be carried out automatically, clearly, easily, cleanly, and diaphanously.

Choose, copy where.

And double click, if you want to see the document.

You should be able to choose a folder for the cache.

This will come.

But if total commander did it, it would be magnificent.
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

This is totally superfluous nonsense. It is easily possible to go deep into the directory structure until the lengths are sufficient and then go up step by step up so that the length is enough.

JOUBE
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Moderator message

Moved to "will not be changed"
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
maria_sia

Post by *maria_sia »

Horst.Epp wrote: 2022-05-27, 12:07 UTC If you have the urgent need try FastCopy or TeraCopy.
Both can be integrated into TC and overcome the long path limit.
Totally agree that both can handle this issue and also Goodsync , Long Path Tool , Gs Richcopy 360 .........etc
but the free way is to shorten the path name , and if it is too many paths , try the mentioned tools