Compare contents - when [..] is selected

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Damel

Compare contents - when [..] is selected

Post by *Damel »

As I understand, Compare contents compare 2 topmost selected entries from panels. Please exclude [..] from that (if selected by mistake), it makes no sense there.

Instead, selecting [..] on both sides and calling Compare contents should open Synchronize directories. Just saying. :)
The best solution:
1. format C:
2. install TotalCmd
3. install Windows (optionally)
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Compare contents - when [..] is selected

Post by *Fla$her »

In the first part I agree. I would even put it in the bug category.

As for synchronization, it does not look like an obvious solution due to the combined functionality.
But this can be done with a script without any problems.
Overquoting is evil! πŸ‘Ž
mmm

Post by *mmm »

Got caught in this trap many times...

My vote for the improvement.
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

I do not really understand the posters startup handling of the compare content module:

In my case there are three ways (I have Ctrl+Y set to "cm_CompareFilesByContent"):

No file selected & pressing Ctrl+Y: The file under the cursor (in the active window) will be compered with the file with the same name within the inaktive window.

Two files selected (one in active, one in inactive window) with different names & pressing Ctrl+Y: The files with different names will be compared.

Two files selected (both in active window, no one in inactive window) with different names & pressing Ctrl+Y: The files with different names will be compared.

The case that [..] is in the selection never happens here. No need to change anything at this part of compare content module.

Maybe you just need to learn how TC works at this part and get used to it

JO"Please tell me more of your handling of this..."UBE
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2JOUBE
Two files selected (one in active, one in inactive window) with different names & pressing Ctrl+Y: The files with different names will be compared.
A Hint: You don't need to select the file in the active window - in that case the file under the cursor will be used.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Damel wrote: ↑2022-06-20, 20:37 UTC selecting [..] on both sides ...
Why both? One is enough here:
TCFS2.exe /ef if((msg(1074,1005)==0&&msg(1074,1007)==0)||(msg(1074,1006)==0&&msg(1074,1008)==0),tcm(2020),tcm(2022))
Damel

Post by *Damel »

JOUBE wrote: ↑2022-06-22, 10:57 UTC JO"Please tell me more of your handling of this..."UBE
Words about "2 topmost selected entries" are referring to all situations where 2+ entries are selected.

It can be by accident or it's that situation where you can have selected as many files as you want or must have but you are still able to compare 2 files by your needs - modulating which files TC chooses by changing sorting methods. Try it for yourself - select 3 files (no worry in which panel) and use your hotkey, then change sorting (name/ext/size/date/ascending-descending) so selected files will be in a different order than previously and compare again. TC compares another pair (awesome feature BTW).

What is important is that TC chooses the top most entries - and The Top Most entries are the [..].

It happened to me (and I'm not alone) so many times that it was worth writing an article about it.
Last edited by Damel on 2022-06-22, 16:50 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The best solution:
1. format C:
2. install TotalCmd
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2Damel
So did my solution suit you? Or not?
Damel

Post by *Damel »

Fla$her wrote: ↑2022-06-22, 15:55 UTC 2Damel
So did my solution suit you? Or not?
This solution is nice, but (and I'm sorry) what's the point? Why call this when by the same action
(number of steppes - assigned hotkey, click on button/menu entry) can be called Synchronize directories function itself.

Functions need to be ergonomic without additional thinking/actions, say automatically.
Imagine TC thinking: Compare files called on [..]? There are no files to compare, let's compare dirs instead!

And to be honest, I'm not decided (and it is not at me either) what would be better (to call when [..] are selected or under cursor):
- Synchronize directories
or
- Compare directories
The best solution:
1. format C:
2. install TotalCmd
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

Damel wrote: ↑2022-06-22, 15:20 UTCWords about "2 topmost selected entries" are referring to all situations where 2+ entries are selected.
It is very easy: Do not do that, it is not the usual way to handle it. Please lean more about TC handling.

JO"Are you really interested in using the Tc to handle files? Then it is easy to learn how..."UBE
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Damel wrote: ↑2022-06-22, 17:06 UTC This solution is nice, but (and I'm sorry) what's the point?
So "nice" or "what's the point"? :)
Damel wrote: ↑2022-06-22, 17:06 UTCWhy call this when by the same action (number of steppes - assigned hotkey, click on button/menu entry) can be called Synchronize directories function itself.
Then I don't understand what else is needed if everything was fine. :?
Damel wrote: ↑2022-06-22, 17:06 UTCFunctions need to be ergonomic without additional thinking/actions, say automatically.
What extra actions are required with my solution?
Damel wrote: ↑2022-06-22, 17:06 UTCAnd to be honest, I'm not decided (and it is not at me either) what would be better (to call when [..] are selected or under cursor):
- Synchronize directories
or
- Compare directories
If there are 3 different comparison commands: cm_CompareDirs (533), cm_DirMatch (534) and cm_CompareDirsWithSubdirs (336). So substitute the desired number instead of 2020.
mmm

Post by *mmm »

I still vote for Damel's initial request.

The follow-up conversation baffles me.
I believe Damel aims solely to GUI whereas most of the follow-up conversation deals with internal commands.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2mmm
1. What does GUI have to do with it?
2. Do you know how to compare without executing an internal command?
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

Fla$her wrote: ↑2022-06-23, 13:58 UTC 2mmm
He really has no idea about TC. And if he wants to use it, then he should learn the TC.

JO"That's it"UBE
Damel

Post by *Damel »

mmm wrote: ↑2022-06-23, 08:06 UTC I still vote for Damel's initial request.

The follow-up conversation baffles me.
I believe Damel aims solely to GUI whereas most of the follow-up conversation deals with internal commands.
Exactly! Nice to see that TC users frustrated with this issue understand well the root cause.
Who doesn't face this issue isn't just using TC in a way and for what we do. You do you.

I'm sad from expressions like "you just don't know how to use TC". There is no place for this kind of hostile behaviour.
The best solution:
1. format C:
2. install TotalCmd