Cannot delete EXE file unless I wait

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Thany

Cannot delete EXE file unless I wait

Post by *Thany »

On a network drive, EXE files can only be deleted shortly after displaying them. If I do it too quickly, TC is still figuring out what icon to display and the file is "in use" and cannot be deleted.

Am I impatient? No, I'm just quick, but imagine a directory of 100 executables.

The point is that I'm trying to delete a file that TC itself has in use. When such action happens, the delete action could either:

1. Cancel TC loading the icon and just delete the bloody file
2. Wait until TC is finished fetching the icon and then delete the file

It should not tell the user the file is in use, because it is TC itself keeping the file in use. Telling the user off for this, doesn't make any sense to me.
Total Commander 11 on Windows 10
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Cannot delete EXE file unless I wait

Post by *petermad »

2Thany
Or you could enable the option: "Configuration" -> "Options..." -> "Icons" -> "EXE/LNK not on net".
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The problem is that the icon is being loaded in a background thread, by a Windows function which cannot be aborted. Checking "EXE/LNK not on net" prevents the loading of the EXE icons, so they don't get blocked.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Thany

Post by *Thany »

Maybe the delete operation can just wait? I do want icons. But if I'm deleting an exe, I couldn't care less for the icon. Does that make sense?
Checking "EXE/LNK not on net" prevents the loading of the EXE icons
The same issue can (and probably will) occur on local drives, especially slow ones. It's just less likely. It's got nothing to do, technically speaking, with the files being remote.

And before you go "You can specify slow drive letters", this is not a solution either.
1. Drives may be removable (even without them being reported as one), so a letter can represent any drive, be it a slow one or a fast one.
2. Even a fast drive may be slow when it's being utilised.
3. Even an idle fast drive may be slow on small operations, due to its nature.
4. A driveletter may have mount points for slow drives.
5. TC might be used in portable mode, so drive configuration is a total shot in the dark.
Total Commander 11 on Windows 10