Please allow a monospaced font in file list of the the mutli-rename tool

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

9kvD38n6

Please allow a monospaced font in file list of the the mutli-rename tool

Post by *9kvD38n6 »

Aligned file names should be preferable here in many cases. Or maybe there is a setting already that I missed? Thanks.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Please allow a monospaced font in file list of the the mutli-rename tool

Post by *Usher »

You should just change dialog box font in general configuration for fonts. There are no separate settings for MRT dialog window.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
9kvD38n6

Post by *9kvD38n6 »

Thanks, I was aware of the global font setting for all dialog boxes. However, setting all dialog boxes to monospaced text would be couterproductive as dialog boxes are space-critical. It is a very different matter when trying to gauge the effect of your renaming efforts on the selected files...
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

I agree that font selection in this place would be useful. There is already font selection in Lister and Compare by Content so it seems to be logical continuation to have similar feature in MRT.
That's why I prefer Tahoma font - all digits have almost the same width and wide letters are not as wide as in Segoe or Microsoft Sans Serif.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
9kvD38n6

Post by *9kvD38n6 »

Thanks, I'll give Tahoma a shot in that context though I have generally migrated to the new slew of display-optimized fonts. I particularly like Tenorite Display for file lists. I think it may have similar characteristics to Tahoma with regard to numbers.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

As far as I know, Tenorite font is available only for newest MS Office users so I cannot recommend it for general use. What is more, I suspect that Tenorite contains less glyphs (different symbols) than Tahoma (Tahoma contains 4451 glyphs).
Andrzej P. Wozniak
j7n

Post by *j7n »

Tenorite looks like a dozen other Helvetica fonts. I can't believe they presented it as something new. All new is well forgotten old. For working with technical texts like filenames it's important to distinguish uppercase I from lowercase l, which look the same in most old sans-serif fonts, and also letter Oh from Zero. In Tahoma you have bars on the I, and in Trebuchet MS here the L has a curve. Both were actually extremely optimized for display at low resolutions.
#148174 Personal license
Running Total Commander v8.52a
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Usher wrote: 2022-09-23, 02:29 UTCso I cannot recommend it for general use.
Nothing prevents from loading it when starting TC through autorun.wdx using the LoadFont command.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2Fla$her
Really? AFAIK, Tenorite fonts are NOT available in Windows without MS Office installed.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2Usher
What does it matter? The main thing is that you can download them for offline use without installing them into the system.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

Fla$her wrote: 2022-09-29, 16:43 UTC 2Usheryou can download them for offline use
No, I cannot. There is only a vary basic character subset available for free download. Only Latin-1 Unicode script (Western European), no Polish, Czech, Ukrainian, Russian, Greek etc. characters.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2Usher
I'm not familiar with the font (I have Office 16), so I didn't even know it had non-Latin variants.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2Fla$her
Apologies accepted ;-)
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2Usher
I didn't even think of apologizing. :) I wrote that I don't know about what I don't see confirmation of.
There are a bunch of fonts from Microsoft that only support the Latin alphabet. Provide at least a reverse confirmation for Tenorite.
But even if there is such support, what prevents the Office 365 user from pulling them out and adapting them for assembly?
Overquoting is evil! 👎
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2Fla$her
He who laughs last, laughs best.
1. For me "general use" means "international use". I cannot accept for general use any font which doesn't support Polish characters (Latin-2 codepage, Latin Extended-A Unicode block). I prefer fonts which support all EU languages so WGL4 (657 characters) is a minimal requirement.
2. I did download free available Tenorite font pack and described what I found: only 296 glyphs in v.0.95 for MSO365, Latin-1 only.
3. Fonts with Latin-1 only characters are archaic in the century of Unicode. MS Visual Studio supports Unicode even in code comments (where monospaced fonts are in use) for more that 10 years. Full Unicode support was introduced in MSVS2012 (VC11).
4. MS want to make Tenorite a new default font in MS Office at least (Microsoft 365 now):
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/2021/04/28/beyond-calibri-finding-microsofts-next-default-font/
It means that this font should support as many codepages and Unicode scripts as old default fonts (Calibri - 6954 glyphs in v.6.23, Arial - 4503 glyphs in v.7.00 or 50377 glyphs including CJK in Arial Unicode v.1.01). A minimal requirement is support for all Latin- and Cyrillic-based languages supported in MS Office:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/what-languages-is-office-available-in-26d30382-9fba-45dd-bf55-02ab03e2a7ec
5. Many people (including me) don't use MS Office. They prefer LibreOffice or OpenOffice and they cannot download newer Tenorite versions from Microsoft 365 payable subscription.

I would better read comments about Tenorite from Microsoft 365 users rather than tales about antiquities and unseen things.
Andrzej P. Wozniak