[TC10.52rc2] Go to parent disables Synchronous directory changing

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

white
Power Member
Power Member

[TC10.52rc2] Go to parent disables Synchronous directory changing

Post by *white »

• Go to the root folder of the drive in the left panel and in the right panel
  • Execute cm_SyncChangeDir
  • Execute cm_GoToParent (or use button or keyboard shortcut)
Synchronous directory changing is disabled.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [TC10.52rc2] Go to parent disables Synchronous directory changing

Post by *petermad »

Confirmed.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is intentional and will not be changed. cm_SyncChangeDir does not currently work with virtual folders.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-10-13, 13:35 UTC This is intentional and will not be changed. cm_SyncChangeDir does not currently work with virtual folders.
You can't go to virtual folders the way I described.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-10-13, 13:35 UTC This is intentional and will not be changed. cm_SyncChangeDir does not currently work with virtual folders.
This is not about virtual folders. To rephrase the problem: using cm_GoToParent in the root cancels SyncChangeDir
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

cm_GoToParent in the root would go to the virtual folder "My Computer", but is blocked - it only works when you double click on "..". However, cm_syncchangedir gets disabled in both cases.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-10-13, 13:35 UTC cm_SyncChangeDir does not currently work with virtual folders.
Actually, it does work.
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-10-13, 14:56 UTC cm_GoToParent in the root would go to the virtual folder "My Computer", but is blocked - it only works when you double click on "..". However, cm_syncchangedir gets disabled in both cases.
My report was about explicitly executing the command cm_GoToParent or by using the [..] button or keyboard shortcut Ctrl+PgUp. Those actions are always blocked in the root of a drive. It makes no sense that Synchronous Directory Changing gets disabled in these cases.

If you try to enter a folder that has no matching folder at the other side, you get a warning beep first. Why would Synchronous Directory Changing be disabled when you do not even change to a different folder. Makes no sense.

In case the non-default option 'Show parent dir [..] also in root of drive' is enabled and you double-click on [..] in the file panel, it would make sense to also get a warning beep first.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

cm_SyncChangeDir does not currently work with virtual folders.
Actually, it does work.
How? Where? When you double click on [..] in the drive root (when enabled), cm_syncchangedir doesn't change both sides to "Computer".
If you try to enter a folder that has no matching folder at the other side, you get a warning beep first. Why would Synchronous Directory Changing be disabled when you do not even change to a different folder. Makes no sense.
You are right, with that change it should also be changed.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-10-13, 19:29 UTC
cm_SyncChangeDir does not currently work with virtual folders.
Actually, it does work.
How? Where?
For example when you have the top level desktop folder in left and right panel and activate cm_SyncChangeDir and navigate through virtual folders.
And for example when you have a virtual folder in the left panel and for example drive d: in the right panel and there is a folder that exist on both sides, you can then enable cm_SyncChangeDir and navigate to the subfolder left and right synchronously.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

white wrote: 2022-10-13, 17:10 UTC 1.
My report was about explicitly executing the command cm_GoToParent or by using the [..] button or keyboard shortcut Ctrl+PgUp. Those actions are always blocked in the root of a drive. It makes no sense that Synchronous Directory Changing gets disabled in these cases.

Tested OK using TC10.52rc3 32-bit and 64-bit. Synchronous Directory Changing no longer gets disabled in this case.
white wrote: 2022-10-13, 17:10 UTC 2.
In case the non-default option 'Show parent dir [..] also in root of drive' is enabled and you double-click on [..] in the file panel, it would make sense to also get a warning beep first.
Unchanged, no warning first.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

1. Thanks for confirming!

2. Sorry, I will not change that.

Moderator message

Moved to "will not be changed"
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

HISTORY.TXT wrote: 17.10.22 Fixed: cm_SyncChangeDir, opening ".." in root would end the function without warning. Instead, go up to "My PC" if both sides are in the root, otherwise make a warning beep first (32/64)
Tested using TC 10.52rc4.

If one side is in the root and the other side is in a folder and you use the [..] button on the side of the folder, cm_SyncChangeDir is disabled without warning.

Moderator message from: white » 2022-10-18, 13:09 UTC

Moved to Bugs forum.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

You are mixing up two things here: My bugfix is about double clicking on [..] in the file list.

What you tested is clicking on the .. button, it has a different function:
Example: left side in c:\ and right side in c:\windows, cm_SyncChangeDir enabled:
1. Click on ".." button on the left has no effect, going up from there is disabled intentionally, so that when you press Ctrl+PageUp repeatedly or wildly click on the .. button goes to the drive root.
2. Click on ".." button on the right goes up to the root, but does not disabled cm_SyncChangeDir.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-10-18, 19:12 UTC You are mixing up two things here: My bugfix is about double clicking on [..] in the file list.

What you tested is clicking on the .. button, it has a different function:
I know, but I tried the button too. But now I cannot reproduce anymore that cm_SyncChangeDir gets disabled. Must have done something wrong.
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-10-18, 19:12 UTC Example: left side in c:\ and right side in c:\windows, cm_SyncChangeDir enabled:
2. Click on ".." button on the right goes up to the root, but does not disabled cm_SyncChangeDir.
In this case, where the left side is in the root folder, it should do the same as double-clicking the [..] entry in the panel. Warn first and disable cm_SyncChangeDir if the user tries a second time.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It would be more consistent, but some people may rely on the current behaviour to level out the left and right side, so I will keep it as it is now.

Moderator message

Moved to "will not be changed"