[TC10.52rc4] Separate tree: double-click before a folder performs the double-click on selected folder

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

white
Power Member
Power Member

[TC10.52rc4] Separate tree: double-click before a folder performs the double-click on selected folder

Post by *white »

(use default options, fresh ini)
  1. Enable separate tree(s) (Ctrl+Shift+F8)
  2. In the separate tree click on a folder.
  3. Double-click before another folder on the expand button or if there is none, on the connecting lines.
  4. The double-click action is performed on the folder entry in step 2
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [TC10.52rc4] Separate tree: double-click before a folder performs the double-click on selected folder

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

What you do is undefined and will have unpredictable results. The problem here is that the first click of the double click on the expand button expands or collapses the folder, which may move it around.

Moderator message

Moved to "will not be changed"
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
white
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [TC10.52rc4] Separate tree: double-click before a folder performs the double-click on selected folder

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-10-20, 08:56 UTC What you do is undefined and will have unpredictable results.
Undefined things should do nothing and not have unpredictable results.

Suppose a user wanted to expand a folder but quickly changed his mind and clicked again too soon, or suppose he quickly realized that he had clicked the wrong folder and clicked again too quickly, or suppose it was just an accidental double-click, in those cases expanding some other folder in the tree and navigating to that folder where the user has no idea what is happening shouldn't happen.

Also note that the double-click speed may be defined different for each user and that many different people can use Total Commander.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

So what do you expect should happen? Ignore the second click? Move the mouse cursor to follow the folder? Sorry but there really is no good solution.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

I don't know how things are implemented. Ignoring the second click sounds good. If any action is performed on double-click it should be performed on the folder were the user clicked.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

HISTORY.TXT wrote: 21.10.22 Fixed: Tree: Ignore double click on expand/collapse icon (32/64)
Tested using TC10.52rc5. If I try multiple times, it can still expand/collapse the selected folder.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

white wrote: 2022-10-21, 10:56 UTC
HISTORY.TXT wrote: 21.10.22 Fixed: Tree: Ignore double click on expand/collapse icon (32/64)
Tested using TC10.52rc5. If I try multiple times, it can still expand/collapse the selected folder.
Maybe the cursor accidentally moves outside of the expand/collapse icon for you when clicking multiple times?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

I also can still expand/collapse with double-click on the expansion symbols in RC5.
If I double-click on the lines it sometimes uses the nearest one to expand
but only if I near the lines around this folder.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3296)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

A video is perhaps more clear: Animated gif
In the video I have opened folder c:\, I select Desktop at the top, I double-click a couple of time before Documents until the Desktop folder opens and collapses.

Apparently the double-click action is performed on the folder that happens to be selected (marked red). This might not be the folder where the user clicks (if the user clicks at the location of the expand button).

One approach to solve this is by ignoring the double-click. This is done now, but doesn't fully work.

Another approach would be that double-click first selects the folder on the line that is double-clicked and then does the double-click action.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, I cannot reproduce your animated GIF, that's why I moved this thread here.
All I changed in RC5 is that the second click of the double click is ignored now. So you should get the same result when you single click on the > icon as when you double click.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

There seems to be a difference between 32-bit and 64-bit.

32-bit: If I double-click the collapse button a second time too soon, it opens the folder on the line where I clicked.
64-bit: If I double-click the collapse button a second time too soon, it opens the folder that happens to be selected (marked red).

This has to do with:

32-bit: If I triple-click the collapse button, it selects (marks red) the folder on the line where I clicked.
64-bit: If I triple-click the collapse button, the folder on the line where I clicked is not selected.

The behavior of 32-bit TC is not a big deal/is OK. The behavior of 64-bit TC is still unwanted.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not confirmed. What I see is that sometimes when the tree list is scrolled, the folder which is under the mouse cursor when the mouse button is released gets selected sometimes.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

My tests were performed without scrolling.
What happens on your system when you do triple-click on the collapse button using 32-bit TC and using 64-bit TC?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Triple clicks are NOT detected and not prevented. I'm already blocking the clicks during GetDoubleClickTime(), I don't want to block it even longer for users who think they need to triple click. There is only so much I can prevent stupid behaviour (no, I don't think your tests are stupid, I just mean that no one would triple click and expect that nothing more happens than when they single click). When you click, the cursor will move. I will catch the mouse up event of the second click, though.