Share settings between multiple users on the same PC

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Adnan

Share settings between multiple users on the same PC

Post by *Adnan »

Hello!
I tried everything I could find online to achieve this but nothing worked. Is there anyway I can share and sync my settings between users on the same computer? I have 3 accounts and it would be nice if I could only adjust something on one account and it gets updated on all others...

Thank you so much!
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Share settings between multiple users on the same PC

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Ue the portable installation on a path like c:\tools which all users have full access
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1373a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Adnan

Post by *Adnan »

Already done. But the wincmd.ini file is still stored in each users AppData folder...
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Adnan wrote: 2022-10-22, 15:31 UTC Already done. But the wincmd.ini file is still stored in each users AppData folder...
You have to add the following line in the [Configuration] section of your Wincmd.ini
in the TC Home-dir
UseIniInProgramDir=7
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Adnan

Post by *Adnan »

I copied the wincmd.ini file from the AppData/Roaming/... path to c:/totacmd and added UseIniInProgramDir=7 to the [Configuration] there but it still didn't work. Should I delete the wincmd.ini file from all AppData folders of each user?
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Yes, for the portable version there is no need for it.
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

Adnan wrote: 2022-10-23, 11:37 UTC I copied the wincmd.ini file from the AppData/Roaming/... path to c:/totacmd and added UseIniInProgramDir=7 to the [Configuration] there but it still didn't work. Should I delete the wincmd.ini file from all AppData folders of each user?
Verify which ini file is used with menu option Help/About.
Make sure all users have write access in c:\totalcmd.
Check if there are settings in your wincmd.ini file that use the appdata folder.
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

... and just in case: You have to restart TC after a manual change of wincmd.ini !
#5767 Personal license
Adnan

Post by *Adnan »

white wrote: 2022-10-23, 12:07 UTC
Adnan wrote: 2022-10-23, 11:37 UTC
Verify which ini file is used with menu option Help/About.
Make sure all users have write access in c:\totalcmd.
Check if there are settings in your wincmd.ini file that use the appdata folder.
How can I change the path to the wincmd.ini that TC uses? Because it is still AppData\Roaming\...
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

Adnan wrote: 2022-10-25, 22:23 UTC How can I change the path to the wincmd.ini that TC uses? Because it is still AppData\Roaming\...
If you have UseIniInProgramDir=7 under [Configuration] in your wincmd.ini file in Total Commander's program folder then TC uses that file. If it doesn't then I suspect you made a typo or you launched another copy of TC in another folder. In that case TC uses one of these registry keys:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ghisler\Total Commander
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ghisler\Total Commander
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Ghisler\Total Commander
(look for the value "IniFileName")
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

UseIniInProgramDir=7 only works when the Total Commander executable and the ini file are in the same directory. It doesn't work when the executable is under "c:\Program files\Totalcmd" and the ini file is in c:\Totalcmd. Also the newer installer protects c:\totalcmd from writing by other users, so you will have to press Alt+Enter on the wincmd.ini and grant everyone full access to the file, otherwise they will not be able to change any settings. The same is necessary when the program and ini file are somewhere under "Program Files".
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-10-26, 09:45 UTC[...] so you will have to press Alt+Enter on the wincmd.ini and grant everyone full access to the file [...]
No! Please stop recommending to people to grant full access to everyone! I remember having said that in the past.

It's sufficient to grant the right Change to Everyone (but even that might be more open than necessary). Granting full access includes the permission to change permissions on a file! This is very rarely necessary. Even worse, "Everyone" includes all guests. Guests should NEVER have the right to change permissions on a file.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
JesperRed

Post by *JesperRed »

I would appreciate very much if some one in details could explain me how to "Share settings between multiple users on the same PC"
and having the the ini file in my own directory like c:\documents\system\tcm?

I have for the some hours tried all different tricks with RegEdit, installing TCM multiple times, UseIniInProgramDir=7. But no luck. What to do?
THANKS
Jesper Red Denmark
License: #17690
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2JesperRed
Create the directory you want to keep the settings in. You should delete wincmd.ini from TC's program directory. This is even necessary if it has UseIniInProgramDir=7 set. Make sure to back up that file in case you need to extract any settings or other data (history, directory hotlist, sync profiles, just to name a few) from it.

Install TC normally and during installation set the location created previously, and select to set that location for all users. You might also need to delete HKCU\Software\Ghisler\Total Commander for each relevant user, but that depends on which location for wincmd.ini is specified there. Try without modifying the registry first.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
batchman61

Post by *batchman61 »

Hi,
would suggest to "install" to a public folder on the PC and create a launcher cmd to start total commander using options /I and /F.

Why?
I'm maintaining a portable Total Commander since long. Implementation is to extract a folder to any location outside windows and user folder.
Introduction of %APPDATA% and Installer Options caused significant effort then, with moderate success.

Workaround was a simple launcher cmd script calling "PathOfTotalcmd[64].exe" using command line options /I="PathOfWincmdIni" /F="PathOfWincmdFtp".
From my experience this makes sure which "wincmd.ini" is used, independent of files in %APPDATA% and Registry settings.
Launcher can be used by all users having access to location.

Have to say that I never used the installer since. Thus don't know about permission issues mentioned above.