Backed up application has been saved in 3 parts

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Zygus

Backed up application has been saved in 3 parts

Post by *Zygus »

Hello. I have backed up application with TC and as the final result I got 3 apk files.
The application was Tapas (offical comic reader) and beside main apk I got
Tapas 6.5.12-split_config.armeabi_v7a.apk
Tapas 6.5.12-split_config.hdpi.apk

Do I need all these three apks to restore app or I only need the main apk?
Trying to reinstall apk from 2 split apk will give an error of course.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Backed up application has been saved in 3 parts

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, this is the new app bundle Google tries to push: It splits an app into multiple parts, by
- native code by processor type (here: ARM 32-bit)
- images by screen resolution (here: high dpi)
- languages (if there are translations)
- and of course the main apk with the Java program code.

Yes, you need all parts.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Zygus

Post by *Zygus »

Thank You.
So until I don't rename the additional files and put all of them into the same location there shouldn't be any issue
reinstalling the app.
Is there possibility that the other file managers can have issues with installing such multiparted app?
Those three files I got from one device, and then put them into Huawei P20 Lite. Due to issue with apk support in TC i tried to install Tapas in Huawei file manager but it always failed. But with sideloaded TC 3.33 the Tapas app installed without worries.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed the normal Android apk installer can't install split apk files. There are some site-specific formats for split apk files like apks, xapk etc. which can be installed by the installers of these sites. Total Commander can also install these. They are usually a ZIP file with split apk parts inside, plus an icon and some kind of descriptive text or xml file.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lewis Fletcher

Post by *Lewis Fletcher »

When you back up an application with Total Commander, it will often create multiple APK files, including a main APK and several split APKs. The split APKs contain additional resources or configuration files that are required for the app to function properly on specific devices or with specific screen resolutions.

In most cases, you will only need to install the main APK to restore the app. The split APKs are typically installed automatically when you install the main APK, and they are not necessary for the app to function properly.

However, if you encounter any issues when restoring the app, such as missing resources or incorrect screen resolutions, you may need to manually install the split APKs as well. In this case, you can try installing them one by one, starting with the smallest file and working your way up to the largest.

It's worth noting that not all apps use split APKs, and some apps may require additional data files or configurations to function properly. In these cases, you may need to restore additional files or settings to fully restore the app.