Improvement for in-place editing of file names (keep the position of the cursor)

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

funkymonk

Re: Improvement for in-place editing of file names (keep the position of the cursor)

Post by *funkymonk »

Is there any news on the suggestion to keep the position of the cursor when switching to the next/prev file during in-place editing of file names?

Bump for next TC11 beta...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Improvement for in-place editing of file names (keep the position of the cursor)

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

No there isn't. The problem is that it would be annoying with file names of different length. Example:
Short.txt
This is a long name.txt

Now when the cursor is before the dot on the first file, it would be somewhere in the middle on the next file. I could place it again near the dot, but what about when it's 1 character before the dot? 2 characters?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
funkymonk

Post by *funkymonk »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-06-28, 13:46 UTC No there isn't. The problem is that it would be annoying with file names of different length.
Yes, that might be annoying.

Thus, when simply pressing just Up/Down, TC should behave as before.

This way, existing TC behavior is not changed but only extended as suggested (in the 1st post):

"When pressing Ctrl+Up/Down, just keep the position of the cursor where it was before. If the cursor was at char position x, just keep it at x."

However, it might be helpful to treat extensions in a special way:
If the cursor is at position x *before* the extension (some|file.txt) it should stay at position x in the next file (next|file.docx).
If the cursor is at position x *within* the extension (somefile.|txt) it should stay at position x in the extension of the next file (someotherfile.|docx).

If position x does not exist for the next file (i.e., if the next file name or extension is shorter than x), just place it at the end of the file name or the extension.

(I don't know about other users, but I could benefit from this feature almost every day.)