Folder sync option (not content!)

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

gergo7633

Folder sync option (not content!)

Post by *gergo7633 »

Dear Experts,

Is there any ways to sync two directories for subdirectory content only?

I have two servers (migration) and the new one is still in testing mode, however the database has already been transfered once, but the old one still keeps getting new input data which is obviously missing from the new server.

Data is stored in a single directory in forms of subdirectories. When the transfer was completed both PCs had around 9000 directories.

Now the old one has 9050 (50 new). I'd like to see the missing directories somehow (one way is to sort by creation date and copy the new dirs, but I'd like to have an automatic verification). The contents of the subdirectories are the same, but has different filenames (due to some processing), so the sync folders option would show me that everything is missing, right?

I'd really need some workaround to check only the directory list, as the data is around 8 TB and 12 million files, so the process should not touch the files to be fast.

Thank you for any help in advance.

Regards,

Gergő
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Folder sync option (not content!)

Post by *Stefan2 »

Hello and welcome Gergő

See "TOTALCMD.INC" text file with TC internal commands:
[________________Misc________________]=0
cm_CompareDirs=533;Compare dirs ((menu MARK > Compare directories))
cm_CompareDirsWithSubdirs=536;Also mark subdirs not present in other dir

Next utilize menu MARK > Invert Selection    (( = cm_ExchangeSelection))
and cm_ShowOnlySelected=2023;Hide files which aren't selected

Such commands like "cm_CompareDirs" you can just paste to TCs' command line (and later create a button which executes such commands)

If you want you can use an alternative menu with every possible TC-command (and more), see
> Extended Total Commander Menus by petermad >>> https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=33740
>>> Follow there the download links, for an screenshot see http://madsenworld.dk/wincmd/tc9win10en.gif

You can also try
- go to one panel
- select something or all
- utilize cm_CopyNamesToClip
- go to other panel
- utilize cm_LoadSelectionFromClip
- utilize cm_ExchangeSelection
- utilize cm_ShowOnlySelected

There is some more, f.ex. combine this
- select something or all ((cm_SelectAll=523;Select all (files or both, as configured)))
- utilize cm_CopyNamesToClip
- go to other panel ((cm_FocusTrg=4006;Focus on target file list))
- utilize cm_LoadSelectionFromClip
- utilize cm_ExchangeSelection
- utilize cm_ShowOnlySelected

to
cm_SelectAll,cm_CopyNamesToClip,cm_FocusTrg,cm_LoadSelectionFromClip,cm_ExchangeSelection,cm_ShowOnlySelected
and use that as command for a button.