[TC 10.52] Locked tabs randomly change to different locked path

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

j3rky

[TC 10.52] Locked tabs randomly change to different locked path

Post by *j3rky »

I use locked tabs extensively - I usually have 10+ on each side. For the past couple releases I noticed a strange new bug. Occasionally, existing locked tabs automatically change their associated path to that of another tab. I then have to manually correct the association by unlocking the tab, changing back into the desired directory, and locking the tab again.

From what I can tell, only one tab is affected at a time, and it happens relatively rarely - perhaps once a day or once every other day, depending on how much I use TC.

The corrupted tabs are still in the correct position, and they still have the correct name. It's just that they end up pointing to the wrong directory.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find reliable repro steps, so I can't provide any more details. I will update this thread when I find a pattern.

Edit: Changed subject to better reflect the reported problem
Last edited by j3rky on 2022-12-28, 20:30 UTC, edited 3 times in total.
j3rky

Re: [TC 10.52] Locked tabs change to different path

Post by *j3rky »

Also, the incorrect path is set permanently. Restarting TC does not correct the path to its original value.

I also want to add that I am not adding any new tabs. The corruption appears to occur simply by switching existing tabs, or perhaps it happens on TC startup, and I don't usually notice until later.
j3rky

Post by *j3rky »

This happens on both Windows 10 and Windows 11 64-bit
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Does this happen when a directory is no longer accessible, or has been deleted?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
j3rky

Post by *j3rky »

I'm not sure if that's related, but it is a possibility. I haven't noticed a direct correlation, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Most of my tabs are network SMB shares (not mapped, but via UNC paths). Sometimes my unlocked tabs are inside removable media. All of these frequently come and go as VMs are restarted and media is unplugged.
j3rky

Post by *j3rky »

Just to clarify: this is not the automatic change to C: or whatever when a path is no longer accessible in the _current_ tab.

What I am observing is that the path locking in _other_ tabs changes seemingly at random, even though the original path of those tabs are still accessible.

For example:
* I have six tabs - three on the left, and three on the right, i.e. A, B, C and D, E, F pointing to paths U, V, W and X, Y, Z respectively
* I currently have tab A and D selected
* on the right side, I am now switching from tab D to F
* I may find that F is no longer pointing to Z, but suddenly locked to V (i.e. the path of tab B)
* this incorrect path locking is permanent and not fixed by a restart. tab F will now always be locked to path V
* I have to manually re-lock tab F to path Z

My previous comment relates to the fact that I do not know whether path X becoming inaccessible in tab A has any effect on tab B or F being re-locked to a different directory.

The only thing I can say for sure is that the newly locked directory is the same as a locked path in one of the other tabs. I have not been able to determine a particular pattern or ordering in which the locked paths change. I just notice that, when switching to another tab, occasionally that tab is no longer pointing to the originally locked path, but to a path of another tab.

I hope this description makes more sense.
Last edited by j3rky on 2022-12-28, 20:26 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
j3rky

Post by *j3rky »

Also, I have only noticed this in the past couple updates I made. I'm currently on the latest version. The version I had before that (probably a month or two old) had that problem as well. I have not seen this issue in the previous ten years, so this definitely appears to be a new regression as far as I can tell.
j3rky

Post by *j3rky »

In case it's relevant:
* I typically have 10-15 tabs on each side
* all tabs use "Lock, but directory changes allowed"
* I usually have one unlocked tab on each side, typically as the first tab, but sometimes as the last
* the tabs are a mix of local drives and UNC paths on the network (not mapped network drive)
Hacker

Re: [TC 10.52] Locked tabs randomly change to different locked path

Post by *Hacker »

j3rky,
Has the path of the "changed" tabs ever been inaccessible during use?
Any of the following wincmd.ini settings in effect?
LockedTabChange=1 What to do when changing dir on locked tab:
0: always create a new tab
1: re-use tab with same dir
2: re-use first unlocked tab
3: re-use last unlocked tab
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
j3rky

Post by *j3rky »

Hey Roman, it is possible that some of the paths became temporarily inaccessible, albeit not while those tabs are selected. Meanwhile, the paths become accessible again, then I select the tab, and only then do I notice that the tab is incorrectly locked to the path of another tab. Sometimes I do not notice until the next boot of the OS, because I may not have used the affected tab at all in the previous session.

I do not have the `LockedTabChange` option in my `wincmd.ini`

My individual tab options are:
* locked tabs: `1|1|0|0|0|2|0|`
* unlocked tabs: `1|1|0|0|0|0|0|`
o5a

Post by *o5a »

Noticed that too, in some recent versions. Open TC but your "Locked" tabs now show completely different path which is somehow locked too (when you refresh that tab to get back to locked path it still stays on that new path instead of the path that was locked originally).
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-12-26, 13:49 UTC Does this happen when a directory is no longer accessible, or has been deleted?
Those paths weren't completely unaccessible in my case for sure. But maybe the problem is that those drives get parked (Windows Power management settings), and TC doesn't account for that.
If I open those paths (when drive is parked) manually, it just starts and I can see them no problem. But TC probably doesn't do it when it checks if path is accessible and thinks it's no longer available.
Last edited by o5a on 2022-12-29, 11:52 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2j3rky and 2o5a

Try to put the parameter IgnoreDirErrors=1 in the [Configuration] section of your ini file - does that make any difference?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

If you use "locked but directory changes allowed" there is now a new option in Configuration - Options - Folder Tabs which allows to keep the the changed directory when switching away from such a tab:
Checkbox: "Return to locked tab root directory on tab change".

Try checking this option and observe what's happening afterwards.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
miskox

Post by *miskox »

Maybe you could make a video and give it to Christian? This might help.

Saso
j3rky

Post by *j3rky »

If you use "locked but directory changes allowed" there is now a new option in Configuration - Options - Folder Tabs which allows to keep the the changed directory when switching away from such a tab
This option was checked for me by default. It's actually not the behavior I want (I was about to post another question about that), so I turned it off. I'll keep an eye on whether the saved locked path still changes behind the curtain - so far I haven't seen the problem again, but I didn't work much on the PC in the past few days.