I have a TC registration disc and a new computer that doesn't have an optical drive

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Krellin

I have a TC registration disc and a new computer that doesn't have an optical drive

Post by *Krellin »

As the title says, I have a Total Commander disc. I have a new computer that does not have an optical drive. I'm not seeing a place in TC to input the license number. Any suggestions?
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: I have a TC registration disc and a new computer that doesn't have an optical drive

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Why do you need an optical drive for it ?
The key is a file you should have saved or a mail you have.
The installation is simply made by downloading the installer or portable file from the internet.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3447)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1372a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
white
Power Member
Power Member

Re: I have a TC registration disc and a new computer that doesn't have an optical drive

Post by *white »

2Krellin
You need the wincmd.key file. TC looks for this file at the following locations:
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2021-11-18, 09:54 UTC TC looks for the key:
1. In the directory set via keypath=directory
2. In the program directory
3. In the directory of the wincmd.ini
4. In the registry (even without keypath=$ when no key was found in steps 1..3)
If you no longer can access the file, do this:
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-07-28, 09:48 UTC If you don't have a CD drive any more, you can request a new key from us free of charge by sending me:
1. Your license number, which is printed on the CD
2. Your postal address at the time of purchase (for verification)
3. Your current postal address (if changed) so we can update your key
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

Krellin wrote: 2023-01-06, 16:49 UTC As the title says, I have a Total Commander disc. I have a new computer that does not have an optical drive. I'm not seeing a place in TC to input the license number. Any suggestions?
Or go to a buddy or uncle which you trusts and which still have a CD-ROM drive,
search the TC-CD for the file "wincmd.key", and mail it to your own mail address.

ZoSTeR
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ZoSTeR »

Beside the captcha at the start there is no functional or legal reason to register a TC installation with a key if you've bought a licence.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

If you can't find the file any longer, you can e-mail me with the license number printed on the CD and your postal address (both at the time of registration, for verification, and your current address, to update your key) so I can send you a new key.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com