open selected files at once

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Paul Mountit

Re: open selected files at once

Post by *Paul Mountit »

let's start over:
1. notepad (already running or not already running)
select 3 txt files, leave the cursor inside of outside the selection
1b. enter: opens only the file under the cursor
1c. shift f10, enter (default action: open): opens the selected files in separate instances (ok)

2. excel (not running)
select 3 xls files, leave the cursor inside of outside the selection
2b. enter: opens only the file under the cursor
2C. shift f10, enter (default action: open): opens the selected files in the same instance (ok)

3. excel (already running)
select 3 xls files, leave the cursor inside of outside the selection
3b. enter: opens only the file under the cursor
3C. shift f10, enter (default action: open): opens the selected files in the running instance (ok)

(I'm not talking about making a button with parameters. I know it is possible, but then there are other issues I'm non interested in at the moment)

now my question is:
I select 2 ore more files with the same extension and the I press "enter" on the keyboard.
is there any reason why the default TC behaviour is 1b, 2b and 3b instead of 1C, 2C and 3C?
is there any reason to select some files and then open ONLY one of them (or even not one of them) pressing "enter"?
thanks everybody for your time and your replies.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Paul Mountit wrote: 2023-01-12, 13:52 UTCI select 2 ore more files with the same extension and the I press "enter" on the keyboard.
is there any reason why the default TC behaviour is 1b, 2b and 3b instead of 1C, 2C and 3C?
It's always been this way. It's a bad excuse, I know.

But seriously, if TC were to open all selected files, it wouldn't be possible anymore to open a file by pressing Enter that is outside of the selection. Moreover, it's more likely to open selected files outside of the current view (e.g. in a directory with thousands of files) by accident because the selection is not visible at first glance. And what about Ctrl+Enter or Ctrl+Shift+Enter which put the current file name (without/with path) in TC's command line? Would it then put all selected files into the command line? Would that make sense, given command line length limit and all that kind of stuff?

The question is: How often does it occur that someone needs to open mutiple files at once? And is the context menu enough?

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

Paul Mountit wrote: 2023-01-12, 13:52 UTC is there any reason to select some files and then open ONLY one of them (or even not one of them) pressing "enter"?
I remember back in the days of the early Windows versions when I hit Enter and accidentally had a number of files selected. Omg, the horror :P The OS couldn't handle it.

Even now, suppose you have 1000 xls files selected and you press Enter. Either because you accidentally hit Enter or forgot that you had 1000 files selected. What would happen? Would it be something you want to happen?

That may be the reason why.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Dalai wrote: 2023-01-12, 14:30 UTCHow often does it occur that someone needs to open mutiple files at once? And is the context menu enough?
I need it often. I use it on a regular basis with the help of internal associations, TCFS2 and additional tools. And this doesn't conflict in any way with opening a file outside of the selection.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
Paul Mountit

Post by *Paul Mountit »

Dalai wrote: 2023-01-12, 14:30 UTC
Paul Mountit wrote: 2023-01-12, 13:52 UTCI select 2 ore more files with the same extension and the I press "enter" on the keyboard.
It's always been this way. It's a bad excuse, I know.

But seriously, if TC were to open all selected files, it wouldn't be possible anymore to open a file by pressing Enter that is outside of the selection.
yes. but when do you select a bunch of files and then yuo want to open another file?
I assume that if you select more tha one file and then press enter, you wanto to open the selected files.
but I may be wrong, of course.

Moreover, it's more likely to open selected files outside of the current view (e.g. in a directory with thousands of files) by accident because the selection is not visible at first glance.
well, this is easily resolved with a confirmation dialog if the files are more than 10 (or a configurable number)
And what about Ctrl+Enter or Ctrl+Shift+Enter which put the current file name (without/with path) in TC's command line? Would it then put all selected files into the command line? Would that make sense, given command line length limit and all that kind of stuff?
I think this has nothing to do with the current subject
The question is: How often does it occur that someone needs to open mutiple files at once? And is the context menu enough?

Regards
Dalai
I need to to this one or two times a day. the context menu is kind of ok, but I'd like a better solution
Paul Mountit

Post by *Paul Mountit »

white wrote: 2023-01-12, 14:36 UTC
Paul Mountit wrote: 2023-01-12, 13:52 UTC is there any reason to select some files and then open ONLY one of them (or even not one of them) pressing "enter"?
I remember back in the days of the early Windows versions when I hit Enter and accidentally had a number of files selected. Omg, the horror :P The OS couldn't handle it.
ok, but we're no more back in the days
Even now, suppose you have 1000 xls files selected and you press Enter. Either because you accidentally hit Enter or forgot that you had 1000 files selected. What would happen? Would it be something you want to happen?

That may be the reason why.
well, this is easily resolved with a confirmation dialog if the files are more than 10 (or a configurable number)
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

Because it's the programs that define how they need to be called. E.g. Excel must be called one way, IrfanView another way. TC cannot "force" programs to accept one specific way.
Again does not understand. Even more contrary: exactly about this not-equality and I am talking about!
For that case TC should support new methodic: for the first time to ASK the user - "HOW I should operate with massive of selected yours files with one/identical extension?". As an example TC can provide a few built-in scenarios: call the one 'exe' and put all selected files in command line (possibly immediately with support of quotes), create file list and apply it to the call of the 'exe', call for each selected file - one instance of main 'exe', .... <here pls, add all options about any of you knows - how applications can work with some fileS, not with a single file...>
#146217 personal license
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

The question is: How often does it occur that someone needs to open mutiple files at once?
very often.
And for your case when user could by accidentally try to open multiple undesirable files. Again - we here just started to communicate - to ask each other. So - let's find out the better way how to have both options available: To open multiple files easily And NOT to open multiple files accidentally.
#146217 personal license
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

AntonyD wrote: 2023-01-12, 15:37 UTCwe here just started to communicate
You missed everything. This has all been discussed for quite a long time. Who needs it, he has done everything for himself a long time ago. The author of TC refused mass opening by internal associations. Apparently, there is no point in persuading as well as talking in vain.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

AntonyD,
TC should support new methodic: for the first time to ASK the user - "HOW I should operate with massive of selected yours files with one/identical extension?"
I'd say simulating the "Open" verb from the context menu would be a better way than leaving it up to the user to configure for each program separately. Would not be that much different to what we have today.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Hacker wrote: 2023-01-12, 16:07 UTCa better way
There is a direct conflict of system and internal associations, so I would argue about "better".
Overquoting is evil! 👎
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Paul Mountit wrote: 2023-01-12, 15:27 UTCyes. but when do you select a bunch of files and then yuo want to open another file?
I assume that if you select more tha one file and then press enter, you wanto to open the selected files.
The selection could have been made some time ago, maybe hours or even days. Or it's just a busy/hectic day and work needs to get done. Mistakes are more likely to occur in such situations.
Which people would want to disable, I'm sure.
It does. Currently, Ctrl+Enter and Ctrl+Shift+Enter act on the object under the cursor, just like regular Enter. We're talking about switching Enter to act on a selection, so wouldn't it be logical to make Enter with modifiers (Ctrl/Shift) also act on a selection, making everything work the same way, Enter and all its modifier keys (be it Alt, Shift and Ctrl in any combination) acting on a selection?

Now to be clear: I consider this a bad idea when it comes to Ctrl+(Shift+)Enter. Unfortunately I don't see a good way to do it for just Enter without running into the issues I've mentioned. But I rarely need to open multiple files, so...
I need to to this one or two times a day. the context menu is kind of ok, but I'd like a better solution
Well, which better solution do you have in mind that also considers the other things mentioned, mainly opening multiple files by mistake?

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Paul Mountit

Post by *Paul Mountit »

Fla$her wrote: 2023-01-12, 15:46 UTC ... The author of TC refused mass opening by internal associations. Apparently, there is no point in persuading as well as talking in vain.
this is a perfectly acceptable reply. if mr. Ghisler has already stated that he will not allow this, ok. I'll keep using shift+f10
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

I'd say simulating the "Open" verb from the context menu would be a better way
No way! Definitely! Because this built-in command does not take into account cases which I must apply to some EXE when it will try to open a few files for one attempt. EVEN in case when it do support of the "Open" command.
Exactly case of making special rules for manipulating with arrays of identical selected files - will save our nerves.

but IF as said Fla$her:
he author of TC refused mass opening by internal associations
sooooo. indeed - there is no logic to stipulate all situations here and now((((
#146217 personal license
Paul Mountit

Post by *Paul Mountit »

Dalai wrote: 2023-01-12, 16:29 UTC
It does. Currently, Ctrl+Enter and Ctrl+Shift+Enter act on the object under the cursor, just like regular Enter. We're talking about switching Enter to act on a selection, so wouldn't it be logical to make Enter with modifiers (Ctrl/Shift) also act on a selection, making everything work the same way, Enter and all its modifier keys (be it Alt, Shift and Ctrl in any combination) acting on a selection?

Now to be clear: I consider this a bad idea when it comes to Ctrl+(Shift+)Enter. Unfortunately I don't see a good way to do it for just Enter without running into the issues I've mentioned. But I rarely need to open multiple files, so...
again, I don't see why are you talking about ctrl shift etc.
I'm talking about using "enter" to open one or more than one file at once.
Well, which better solution do you have in mind that also considers the other things mentioned, mainly opening multiple files by mistake?

Regards
Dalai
this must be a language barrier thing. probably I'm not good enough at english. I thought I had already proposed what is - to me, of course - a better solution (enter -> opens the selected files, not only the one under cursor, eventually with a confirmation dialog)
anyway: like Fla$her wrote:
"... The author of TC refused mass opening by internal associations. Apparently, there is no point in persuading as well as talking in vain."
I think this is a perfectly accetable reply.