TC10.52: Selecting files down, randomly speeds up scrolling

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Rekrul

TC10.52: Selecting files down, randomly speeds up scrolling

Post by *Rekrul »

This has been a long-standing bug in TC that seems to come and go. Just when I think it's gone, it shows back up. Unfortunately, I can't intentionally reproduce it, which is what makes it so annoying.

When selecting files/dirs with the right mouse button and you get near the top or bottom of the pane, the list will automatically scroll. Normally, the list will scroll at a moderate speed unless you move the pointer past the pane's border, and then it will greatly speed up.

However, at random, when scrolling down, TC will use the fast scrolling speed instead of the slow speed.So what happens is that you want to select a few items, you move the pointer down to scroll the list and suddenly it goes into turbo mode and you've selected every file in the directory.

When I say "randomly" I don't mean it happens one time and then if you try it again immediately, it behaves normally. It seems to get stuck in this mode, such that once it happens, if you immediately repeat the same actions, it will happen every time. However if you switch to a different directory and then go back, it probably won't happen.

I just had an occasion where it would go into turbo-scroll mode every time I got near the bottom of the list of files in the root directory of a drive. I did it multiple times and it happened every time. Then I went into a sub-directory, came back out, and now it's working normally.

A general rule of thumb is that this bug strikes when you least expect it, and refuses to manifest itself when you're trying to make it happen.

If it helps, it was being triggered when the pointer was a few pixels above the bottom border of the pane. Normally, this wouldn't cause it to scroll more than one line, in order to bring the last file into view, but it was causing it to scroll at turbo speed. And actually, nothing I did would get it to scroll at the normal speed. It was always turbo. Although it was hard to tell because it would go through a couple hundred files in just a second.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC10.52: Selecting files down, randomly speeds up scrolling

Post by *Usher »

I guess it's Windows "smooth scrolling" feature. It's been reported many times:
search.php?keywords=smooth+scrolling&terms=all&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=9999&t=0&submit=Search
Turn the "smooth scrolling" off and try again.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
Rekrul

Post by *Rekrul »

Usher wrote: 2023-02-18, 21:58 UTC I guess it's Windows "smooth scrolling" feature. It's been reported many times:
search.php?keywords=smooth+scrolling&terms=all&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=9999&t=0&submit=Search
All those refer to using the scroll wheel. I'm not using the wheel, I'm using the right mouse button to select files.
Usher wrote: 2023-02-18, 21:58 UTC Turn the "smooth scrolling" off and try again.
I never have smooth scrolling enabled. I just checked to be sure and it's disabled.

I know it's poor quality (I don't have any screen recording software), but here's a video of the bug in action;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AI42umtt48

Notice how when the pointer gets near the bottom edge of the pane, it suddenly shoots down the list at like 10x normal speed?

Note that going up is NEVER a problem. I'm doing it intentionally in the video to deselect all the files and to get back to the top of the directory. Scrolling up will always go slowly unless I intentionally move the pointer outside the pane. However when scrolling down, this bug will occur at random. Instead of a nice slow scroll, it goes speeding down the list selecting tons of files.

It is VERY annoying and makes trying to select files that way too unreliable to use.

For what it's worth, this is in the 32-bit version on an old version of Windows.

This bug has been happening on and off for years. A new version will come out and the bug seems to be mostly gone, then another version comes out and the bug is back to being fairly common.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

When selecting files/dirs with the right mouse button and you get near the top or bottom of the pane, the list will automatically scroll. Normally, the list will scroll at a moderate speed unless you move the pointer past the pane's border, and then it will greatly speed up.
This is intentional.
However, at random, when scrolling down, TC will use the fast scrolling speed instead of the slow speed.So what happens is that you want to select a few items, you move the pointer down to scroll the list and suddenly it goes into turbo mode and you've selected every file in the directory.
I haven't seen that before, it shouldn't happen. I will check it.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Rekrul

Post by *Rekrul »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-02-20, 14:22 UTC
This is intentional.
Agreed.
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-02-20, 14:22 UTC I haven't seen that before, it shouldn't happen. I will check it.
Thank you. :)
Rekrul

Post by *Rekrul »

Just to add to this thread, my friend uses the 64-bit version of Total Commander 10.52 on his Windows 10 system, and he says he's encountered this bug as well.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Any idea under which conditions it happens? So far it didn't happen here.
Rekrul

Post by *Rekrul »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-03-09, 11:29 UTC Any idea under which conditions it happens? So far it didn't happen here.
Unfortunately no. It doesn't happen with any particular directory os number of files. One day it will happen on a directory, and the next day, or even minutes later, it doesn't, even though nothing has changed in that directory. As with most bugs, it seems to happen when I least expect it, and refuses to happen when I'm trying to make it happen.

The only consistent part seems to be that once it starts happening, it will continue to happen every time in that directory, until you switch to another directory and switch back, or you close Total Commander. Sometimes it will continue to happen after switching dirs, and sometimes that seems to fix it. Well that and that it NEVER happens when scrolling up. For whatever reason, it only happens when scrolling down. At least I can't recall ever seeing it happen while scrolling up.

I know this isn't very much help. Believe me, I've been trying to figure out what causes it so that I could help you track it down.
Rekrul

Post by *Rekrul »

I have no idea what caused it, but it's happening right now. So far this bug has survived switching directories, switching drives, switching tabs, minimizing and maximizing the window, etc. However it is only affecting the left pane. The right pane is functioning normally.

I think I've seen it happen in the right pane as well, but I can't be 100% certain about that.

Here's another (unfortunately low quality) video of the bug in action;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaEkG5m38BU

I have no problem scrolling up the list normally, but when the cursor gets near the bottom border of the file list pane, it starts scrolling very quickly. In fact, this scrolling speed is quite a bit faster than the normal "fast" speed. Notice that it gets to the bottom of that first directory in about two seconds, but it takes me about ten seconds to scroll back up to the top. For reference, that directory has 2,549 files.

Switching to the Windows directory was just to show that the bug isn't affected by switching directories.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Rekrul
I can see from your video that you are using a Classic Windows theme, maybe that could make a difference - and BTW what OS are you using?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Rekrul

Post by *Rekrul »

petermad wrote: 2023-03-15, 02:50 UTC 2Rekrul
I can see from your video that you are using a Classic Windows theme, maybe that could make a difference - and BTW what OS are you using?
I have an old computer (and no money to buy something newer), so I'm still using Windows XP. However...

My friend has Win10 (or maybe it's now Win11) on his system and he also says he's encountered this bug.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

My friend has Win10 (or maybe it's now Win11) on his system and he also says he's encountered this bug.
Does your friend use the Classic theme as well?

Could you perhaps try and use your XP's Luna theme (called "Windows XP" in the theme selector) for a while, to see if that makes a difference.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Rekrul

Post by *Rekrul »

petermad wrote: 2023-03-16, 23:19 UTC
Does your friend use the Classic theme as well?
That I'm not sure about. I'll ask him when I get the chance.
petermad wrote: 2023-03-16, 23:19 UTC Could you perhaps try and use your XP's Luna theme (called "Windows XP" in the theme selector) for a while, to see if that makes a difference.
I absolutely HATE that stupid Luna theme and can't stomach using it.

For what it's worth, the bug was just happening now, so I switched to the Luna theme, brought TC to the front, the bug was gone. I then switched back to the classic theme, still no bug. I don't know if the Luna theme fixed it, or just the desktop being refreshed.

In any case, why should the behavior of a third party program change based on what theme is in use? Aren't Windows themes supposed to be purely cosmetic and otherwise invisible to programs?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

In any case, why should the behavior of a third party program change based on what theme is in use?
Not in this case. In Windows versions before XP, there was no theme system. When you use "classic theme", you essentially turn off the theming system which was added to Windows XP. The controls are then drawn by the old Windows functions from Windows NT.
Rekrul

Post by *Rekrul »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-03-17, 11:10 UTC
In any case, why should the behavior of a third party program change based on what theme is in use?
Not in this case. In Windows versions before XP, there was no theme system. When you use "classic theme", you essentially turn off the theming system which was added to Windows XP. The controls are then drawn by the old Windows functions from Windows NT.
Well, unless someone can point me to an XP theme that makes it look like classic Windows, I'm not going to be using the XP theme. It's not the big buttons or rounded corners that I hate, it's the colors. They're really bright and hard on my eyes, and even when I go in and customize all the user-selectable colors to match the classic Marine theme, large parts of the windows are still in a color that I can't change and they look like absolute crap.

If I could change all the colors to match what I normally use, I wouldn't mind it so much.

I tried looking for an alternate XP theme that I wouldn't mind, but all the ones I looked at were (in my opinion) butt-ugly. Either bright, garish colors, or dark, depressing colors. Nothing that was easy on the eyes.