Internal DC commands, which are very lacking in TC

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Internal DC commands, which are very lacking in TC

Post by *petermad »

2ghisler(Author)
It would be nice if the OPENBAR command could be aware of the "Show as menu" option.

Show as menu only works from an existing bar. This wouldn't work if the user has disabled both the horizontal and vertical bar.
Even from an existing bar but for a dynamically chosen bar file name it is not possible to use Show as menu - Example.

This button opens the local.bar as a bar:

Code: Select all

TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA
OPENBAR
"%Plocal.bar"
wcmicons.dll,14
Open local.bar

If I add a SPACE after OPENBAR - then the label in the "Change single button" dialog for "Run minimized" changes to "Show as menu" - and if I select that, the button icon gets a down-arrow, to indicate that it opens as a menu - but clicking the button REMOVES the buttonbar:

Code: Select all

TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA
OPENBAR 
"%Plocal.bar"
wcmicons.dll,14
Open local.bar

License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2ghisler(Author)
6. Open Quick Filter dialog and reactivate last-used filter (Ctrl+Shift+S)

OK, I will use cm_quickfilter 1
We don't have a command for Quick search (without filtering) - maybe cm_quickfilter 2 for that?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

Collecting ideas:

A command to focus vertical bar? >>> viewtopic.php?t=78821
cm_FocusButtonBar --->horizontal bar
cm_FocusButtonBar 1 --->horizontal bar
cm_FocusButtonBar 2 --->vertical bar

?

ghisler(Author) wrote: ↑2023-05-02, 15:50 UTC Indeed there isn't. I will add cm_FocusButtonBarVertical.

Β 
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2ghisler(Author)
There are undelete tools which work quite well - but not after cm_wipe.
I didn't write anything about cm_wipe. I'm just commenting on your concerns about cm_HardLink and cm_SymLink, which are not so scary compared to deleting past the trash. Do not forget about the problems of recovery from SSD and flash drives.
But how? TC uses .tab files which can be stored anywhere.
DC too. But specifically with favorite sets of tabs, it works differently, keeping the structure in favoritetabs.xml .
Using cm_LoadFavoriteTabs, it opens a menu where, among other things, you can select favorite sets from a saved list, between which it is convenient to switch. With ordinary sets, this would not have happened for the reason you indicated. Having such a kit in the assembly, you cannot worry about the loss of individual files. Working with cm_ReloadFavoriteTabs and cm_ResaveFavoriteTabs, you don't need to worry about knowing the path and name of the priority set, which is quite convenient.
OK, I can add this, but it will not work when the user has pressed Shift, Ctrl, or Alt.
Not a problem.
There is also no command to focus the system menu (context menu is Shift+F10).
Didn't understand what you mean by a command? You asked to give you something that has no command analogue.
Hmm, I think that this is a bug, not a feature.
If this is a bug, please do not fix it in any way. :!: I use it a lot. This is especially useful when selecting a folder with a deep structure. Let the status bar be empty. When you added the Alt+Shift+Down hotkey, I was a little upset :( because it worked the same way, but it was more familiar to press DOWN.
I think I will have to add more parameters here, as for cm_copy.
Good.
Btw, there is already cm_OpenDirInNewTab and cm_OpenDirInNewTabOther.
I thought about it right away, too.
That's what cm_AddFileNameToCmdLine will do.
That's what cm_AddPathAndFileNameToCmdLine will do.
You're right. I was only looking at the keyboard shortcuts and didn't pay attention to it.
It does the same except when in branch view or when showing search results. But then there wouldn't be a common path for all selected files...
It is for these modes that cm_CopyPathOfFilesToClip is required. I know how to get the current path. This is different. Here we get a list of folders to consider the location, especially when we are looking for a single file, including after Ctrl+F12 and Cltr+B. Having received such a list, you can work with the necessary directories via cm_SaveSelectionToFile, SAVESELECTION and LOADLIST0.

Thanks for the approved ones!
Overquoting is evil! πŸ‘Ž
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

didn't write anything about cm_wipe. I'm just commenting on your concerns about cm_HardLink and cm_SymLink
These are also dangerous, because the files would look like they are duplicates, and would even be found by duplicate file finders.
DC too. But specifically with favorite sets of tabs, it works differently, keeping the structure in favoritetabs.xml .
How do the tab files get in that list? Does the user have to add them manually, or is this some kind of most recently or most frequently used list?
Didn't understand what you mean by a command? You asked to give you something that has no command analogue.
I mean that there is no Windows command to put the focus on the system menu, which would simulate Alt+Space. So to simulate this, would have to simulate the key strokes (alt down, space down, space up, alt up) which wouldn't work when the user attached this command to a different hotkey like Ctrl+M. Then Ctrl would also be pressed and Alt+Space wouldn't be picked up by Windows to open the system menu.

Btw, just use F10 - cursor right, Enter.
It is for these modes that cm_CopyPathOfFilesToClip is required. I know how to get the current path. This is different. Here we get a list of folders to consider the location, especially when we are looking for a single file, including after Ctrl+F12 and Cltr+B. Having received such a list, you can work with the necessary directories via cm_SaveSelectionToFile, SAVESELECTION and LOADLIST0.
So what happens when you have paths from different locations selected, e.g.
c:\windows\notepad.exe
c:\users\yourname\file.ext?

Will it copy both paths to the clipboard? And if yes, will it copy the same path just once, or as many times as there are selected files in that path?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2ghisler(Author)
These are also dangerous, because the files would look like they are duplicates, and would even be found by duplicate file finders.
I understand it. But can a user who uses them to significantly save space not understand this?
We can also consider the creation of encrypted archives with the deletion of source files as a much more serious danger. But it's also supported in TC. Synchronization is also quite a dangerous thing if you use the options incorrectly. In each case, you need to be prepared.
How do the tab files get in that list? Does the user have to add them manually, or is this some kind of most recently or most frequently used list?
cm_SaveFavoriteTabs (also available in the context menu of tabs) opens a dialog for entering the name of a new set. After confirmation, the set is added to the list of other favorite sets, becoming active (priority).
cm_ResaveFavoriteTabs replaces the active set saved in the xml file with the current tabs.
In the DC settings window, there is also a tab favorites management page.
I mean that there is no Windows command to put the focus on the system menu, which would simulate Alt+Space.
GetSystemMenu + TrackPopupMenuEx ?
I don't need it so much, since with TCFS2 I can already call the necessary items by sending WM_SYSCOMMAND messages, but still.
So what happens when you have paths from different locations selected, e.g.
c:\windows\notepad.exe
c:\users\yourname\file.ext?
Obviously the parent paths will appear in the clipboard:
c:\windows\
c:\users\yourname\
Will it copy both paths to the clipboard? And if yes, will it copy the same path just once, or as many times as there are selected files in that path?
All paths will be copied. But it will be great, of course, if you also make an option without matches.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I understand it. But can a user who uses them to significantly save space not understand this?
They could forget that they made a hard link to an important system file, and then wipe it, edit it, overwrite the content etc.
cm_SaveFavoriteTabs
Thanks for the explanation.
GetSystemMenu + TrackPopupMenuEx ?
That's not opening the system menu, it's displaying my own system menu as a popup. The user choice must then be handled manually. This is easy for the default entries, but third party programs can add entries to the system menu too.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

They could forget that they made a hard link to an important system file, and then wipe it, edit it, overwrite the content etc.
With system files, of course, it's better to be extremely careful. But in any case, this doesn't apply to symbolic links. And they are no less useful in saving. In particular, in a portable TC assembly, we use relative symlinks to dll and exe to work from different places.
That's not opening the system menu, it's displaying my own system menu as a popup. The user choice must then be handled manually. This is easy for the default entries, but third party programs can add entries to the system menu too.
Right. But do we need any additional entries?
konfekt

Post by *konfekt »

Fla$her wrote: ↑2023-05-02, 16:04 UTC 2ghisler(Author)
We can also consider the creation of encrypted archives with the deletion of source files as a much more serious danger. But it's also supported in TC. Synchronization is also quite a dangerous thing if you use the options incorrectly. In each case, you need to be prepared.
Since the possibility to copy symlinks of directories can already only be unlocked after setting CopyLinks > 0 in totalcmd.ini, how about a number > 2 unlocking a checkbox to copy symlinks of files?
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

ghisler(Author) wrote: ↑2023-05-02, 16:19 UTC
I am very surprised that you constantly refer to the fact that the user can somehow do something worse than he/she is doing now.
Because the proposed action is ONE of the possible options, then of course it will be used by those people who understand WHAT and why is being done. It's impossible to permanently protect them from something external, which is sort of necessary, but potentially - it could "kill them all"? Well, it's a strange decision.
And now we are constantly forced to look for third-party ways to work with these objects. Those we still constantly expose ourselves to danger - only now Total is not involved in this. So what? Who felt better?
#146217 personal license
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2konfekt
Here we are not talking about copying, but about creating links (cm_SymLink). Do not confuse.

2AntonyD
I fully support your thoughts.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2ghisler(Author)
Special thanks for cm_OpenDriveByIndex, cm_ShowCmdLineHistory, cm_RenameTab, cm_QuickFilter 1 and cm_listExternal !!! πŸ’ͺπŸ‘‘
This is something I will use with my hotkeys on an ongoing basis.
I haven't checked multiple parameters for cm_Copy and cm_RenMove yet, but they will definitely be very useful! πŸ‘

I will be waiting for options for cm_CopyToArchive and cm_MoveToArchive. πŸ™

Still, you should add analogs cm_LeftEqualRight and cm_RightEqualLeft, after all, the focus should be left in the active panel.
It's like synchronization, when it doesn't matter where the cursor is, the paths will always correspond to their sides.

I also think that cm_OpenDriveByIndex <β„–> should be replaced with cm_OpenDriveByIndexβ„– in order not to create em_ commands for hotkeys.

Please also position the menu under the corresponding drive button (when the drive bar is displayed) when calling cm_DriveContextMenu.

I am waiting for analogues of the commands cm_CopyPathNoSepOfFilesToClip, cm_CopyAllTabsToOpposite and, possibly, cm_...FavoriteTabs, cm_ShowMainMenu, cm_SymLink. πŸ™„

I also suggest considering the possibility of adding/removing the selection of several elements without shifting the cursor to the beginning/end of the operation, including in the opposite direction from the cursor. For example: a pair of buttons with full deselection in both directions.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I haven't checked multiple parameters for cm_Copy and cm_RenMove yet, but they will definitely be very useful! πŸ‘
I will be waiting for options for cm_CopyToArchive and cm_MoveToArchive.
I was waiting with the implementation until I got some feedback about the cm_copy and cm_RenMov parameters. If they are OK, I will add something similar for cm_CopyToArchive and cm_MoveToArchive.
Please also position the menu under the corresponding drive button (when the drive bar is displayed) when calling cm_DriveContextMenu.
It's currently shown where the drive combobox is: This is available via Alt+F1/Alt+F2 even if hidden. The drive buttonbar isn't always available.
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

IMO every option available in configuration dialogs should have an equivalent internal command.
e.g
Copy with comments on/off
Preferred comment file desript.ion/files.bbs
Logging on/off
As now some commands exist for decades while another useful commands still waiting for implementing
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

Gral wrote: ↑2023-05-04, 14:31 UTC IMO every option available in configuration dialogs should have an equivalent internal command.
e.g
Copy with comments on/off
Preferred comment file desript.ion/files.bbs
Logging on/off
As now some commands exist for decades while another useful commands still waiting for implementing
Support +++