Very slow file copy speed over network with LAN plugin

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

bugmenot2

Very slow file copy speed over network with LAN plugin

Post by *bugmenot2 »

A few years ago, Christian Ghisler already said on the forum that:
"Unfortunately the Java implementation of SMB protocol isn't very fast indeed. If you can, try using a different protocol."

(proof: https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=39502)

But several years have passed since then, phones and tablets have become many times more powerful and productive, many software solutions have appeared, but the situation has not changed.
I decided to test on a tablet with a Snapdragon 888 processor (8 Gb RAM) with support for the ''ax" protocol for wi-fi (but the lower "ac" protocol was used)
The real speed of copying files on my network share is 32-40 megabytes per second (exactly megabytes, not megabits!)
I started copying exactly 1Gb file, located on my network share, in Total Commander for Android via wi-fi to my tablet.
The file was completely copied in 2 minutes 31 seconds, at an average speed of 6.3 megabytes per second.

After that, I ran exactly the same test, but copied the file over the network using the X-plore file manager.
This time the file was completely copied in just 30 seconds, at an average speed of 32-34 megabytes per second (!).

There is a huge difference in network copy speed between Total Commander and X-plore.

It seems to me that it is high time for Christian Ghisler to do something about this problem in Total Commander for Android (or in the LAN plugin).

UPD:
For clarity, I have added two video files with tests for Total Commander and for X-plore
Test with Total Commander
Test with X-plore
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Very slow file copy speed over network with LAN plugin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, I have no idea what library X-Plore uses. If you need to transfer such large files, then just use it.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com