TC Does Not Copy Files on Windows 11.

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

totalatha

TC Does Not Copy Files on Windows 11.

Post by *totalatha »

I have been using TC for many years with absolutely no problem with it with any of the Windows operating systems before Windows 11.
I now have a major problem with Windows 11. TC fails to copy files from one folder of an external drive to another folder on the same external drive or anywhere else of the computer. I even reformatted (exFAT --> NTFS) such a two terabytes drive and nothing happened to correct the
situation. I never use drag and drop. I am alway copying/moving files from one window of TC to another.
I would certainly appreciate any help.
Thank you!
totalatha

(XPS 8940, Windows 11, 32GB)
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC Does Not Copy Files on Windows 11.

Post by *Dalai »

What does "fails to copy files" mean exactly? What happens? Does TC give any error message? Have you tried with a clean wincmd.ini?

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TC Does Not Copy Files on Windows 11.

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It may also be a permissions problem. For example, if you copied files/folders to the drive with their permissions, then you will not be able to access the on the other computer even if the user names are exactly the same. The reason is that internally Windows uses some unique identifier and not the user name for the permissions.

You can check this with Alt+Enter on a file or folder, via the security tab. If it shows strange numbers instead of "Everyone" or your user name, then you don't have access. To fix it, you need to first take possession of the file via "Advanced" button, then give user "Everyone" full control.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com