Win 11 Pro, keyboard shortcuts not working

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Naruki

Win 11 Pro, keyboard shortcuts not working

Post by *Naruki »

This is probably not a Total Commander problem, but it is affected on my system and maybe you guys have some idea what to do...

I press F7 and get "new folder" dialog. Good.
I press Alt+F7 and get nothing. BAD.
I press Alt+Shift+F7 and get "search in separate process" dialog. Good.

Obviously my Alt and my F7 keys work. But the shortcut is swallowed up, possibly by Windows or some other app.

I don't think Total Commander is the problem because this happens in some other apps, too.

But I cannot find the culprit.

Has anyone seen this before? Does anyone know how to find the cause? I tried a few things, but so far no happiness.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Win 11 Pro, keyboard shortcuts not working

Post by *Dalai »

This has been discussed quite often. The issue usually is some application registering these hotkeys globally. Search the forum for GeForce Experience if you happen to use an Nvidia GPU. According to other users, the hotkey can be disabled in that software. The other option is to remove it.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Naruki

Post by *Naruki »

Dangit, just figured out the problem. I changed "windows 11" to "macos" in my original searches to see if the same problem exists there. Someone mentioned ShortcutDetective for Macs, so I searched for "shortcutdetective for windows 11".

And that led me to this post.

Apparently the same thing happened to me, so I disabled the heck out of that "in game overlay" and suddenly all my shortcuts are working again.

I still don't know how to find the cause if something like this ever happens again, so if someone knows then please share. But if anyone has this problem, maybe that link will help.

FYI: I downloaded the Hotkey Detective mentioned there, but it did nothing for me. Might have to read the code to see how it works.
Naruki

Post by *Naruki »

Dalai wrote: 2023-03-23, 20:31 UTC This has been discussed quite often. The issue usually is some application registering these hotkeys globally. Search the forum for GeForce Experience if you happen to use an Nvidia GPU. According to other users, the hotkey can be disabled in that software. The other option is to remove it.

Regards
Dalai
Yeah, that was the problem. Thanks.

I had tried many searches, but the only thing I was getting were references to 10 year old arguments on Microsoft about the difference between accelerator keys and shortcut keys.

I didn't find a recent and relative post until I looked for macos. So frustrating.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Naruki

Hmm, if I search for GeForce Experience here in this forum, I get 34 hits.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
beb

Post by *beb »

petermad wrote: 2023-03-25, 00:54 UTC ...I get 34 hits.
It's gonna be a hot spring in Denmark!
:)
#278521 User License
Total Commander [always the latest version, including betas] x86/x64 on Win10 x64/Android 10
beb

Post by *beb »

Naruki wrote: 2023-03-23, 20:55 UTC ...And that led me to this post.
In case if someone follows the chain of links and wants to obtain the Visual Studio tool Spy++ mentioned in the instruction here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/829007/

The only way I could do it is as follows:

Getting the spyxx.exe:
- Download Visual Studio Community: https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/community/
Upon installation:
- Spy++ requires the following components:
- You can select these components from the Visual Studio Installer by selecting the Individual Components tab, and then selecting the following components:
- Under Debugging and testing, select C++ profiling tools
- Under Development activities, select C++ core features

Edit:

Another way:
https://github.com/westoncampbell/SpyPlusPlus
Of course, GitHub way much simpler and doesn't require installation.
The only thing GitHub latest version is 14.00.25420 (signed on 2016.06.20)
Visual Studio Community setup currently gives version 17.0.33312.129 (signed on 2023.01.12)
#278521 User License
Total Commander [always the latest version, including betas] x86/x64 on Win10 x64/Android 10