Removed files selection only from 1 panel after using SyncDir tool

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Removed files selection only from 1 panel after using SyncDir tool

Post by *AntonyD »

Hi!
Looks like we found one bug:
Prepare some 2 folders with similar content - and let for 1 file on both panels be slightly different.
If I make any changes to this file from inside this tool (I ran `Compare right & left files` command on those files and edited one of them inside the started subtool), when I close the main window of the SyncDir, the file's selection at the panel with that modified file will be gone!
I don't expect that, though. In addition, the selection will still be saved in the other panel!
If it was necessary to remove this selection (although I do not see the slightest indication of the need for it) - then in both panels simultaneously.
But again - selection - should not be removed completely!
Yes, I understand that some changes inside the SyncDir tool can lead to changes on filesystem - for ex, I could chosen cmd Remove left or right file. In this case IF this FILE DID exist in the initial file's selection, then - after that cmd - selection definitely should be changed. But exactly for that operation IT IS expected to have some negative consequences. But not after the operation "file's content modification".
#146217 personal license
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Removed files selection only from 1 panel after using SyncDir tool

Post by *Horst.Epp »

AntonyD wrote: 2023-03-27, 16:42 UTC ...
IT IS expected to have some negative consequences. But not after the operation "file's content modification".
Changing the file content may invalidate the conditions which where used for the initial compare.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Horst.Epp wrote: 2023-03-27, 17:55 UTCChanging the file content may invalidate the conditions which where used for the initial compare.
The fact that the files exist is already enough to re-synchronize the selected lists.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

2Horst.Epp
the initial compare.
You wrong - initially was only files selection on both panels. Manual selection.
And yes -as it stated above - files are all still on my disk - so preserve the selection after I simply exited from SyncDir tool!
Again - I completed what I wanted to do with this tool - so please simply revert me back on panels at the "time" when I
just selected all needed for me files.
#146217 personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The idea is that when the user chooses to manually compare and edit the files, then he doesn't want to also sync them.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

In fact, everything is exactly the opposite.
I just launched this tool to determine where and what changes need to be made in the files. Pre-selecting the ones I need manually. And after the end of the editing process, I need this selection in order to continue working with it - I will pack these selected and corrected files into an archive. So please consider correcting the current behavior. By the nature of my description of the problem.
#146217 personal license
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-03-28, 13:34 UTCThe idea is that when the user chooses to manually compare and edit the files, then he doesn't want to also sync them.
In any case, this does not explain why the selection remains only in one of the panels.
I would prefer to keep both selections.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
nice

Post by *nice »

It is not the "idea", it is because change in the filesystem causes the panel to be refreshed.
TC help -> Refresh when files are created, deleted and renamed, Also when size, date, or attributes change
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

2nice
We do not intend on finding the roots - we want to eliminate this behavior inside the boundaries of given circumstances - when and how this tool was used.
#146217 personal license
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2nice
This also happens with the auto-update option disabled.
Overquoting is evil! 👎