[TC 11.00b1] Unexpected behavior of cm_OpenNewTabOther and cm_OpenNewTabBgOther

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

[TC 11.00b1] Unexpected behavior of cm_OpenNewTabOther and cm_OpenNewTabBgOther

Post by *Fla$her »

The analog of cm_OpenNewTabOther should be the item in the context menu of tabs "Copy Tab To Other Panel".
cm_OpenNewTabBgOther in addition should also focus on the tab being opened (without activating another panel, of course).
Overquoting is evil! πŸ‘Ž
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [TC 11.00b1] Unexpected behavior of cm_OpenNewTabOther and cm_OpenNewTabBgOther

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The analog of cm_OpenNewTabOther should be the item in the context menu of tabs "Copy Tab To Other Panel".
I'm not so sure about that - my understanding was cm_OpenNewTab duplicates the current tab, so cm_OpenNewTabOther should duplicate the current tab of the other panel.
cm_OpenNewTabBgOther in addition should also focus on the tab being opened (without activating another panel, of course).
Bg means that the tab is opened in the background (not made the active tab), like cm_OpenNewTabBg.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [TC 11.00b1] Unexpected behavior of cm_OpenNewTabOther and cm_OpenNewTabBgOther

Post by *Fla$her »

2ghisler(Author)
However, I pointed out the analogy (you requested it) from the context menu. And what you have added is already, consider it, a new functionality.
I would prefer the above behavior of the program. Perhaps you should add a couple more commands?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Your interpretation seems to be more useful, the command name is just a bit unfortunate.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

In choosing a name, I was guided just by the cm_OpenDirInNewTabOther command you mentioned.
It works with the active tab in the same way as the specified menu item, opening it in another panel.

What do you propose in the end?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I will probably just change the behaviour.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

ОК.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

@ghisler:
I was updating my mnu-file for TC v11, came across cm_OpenNewTabOther / cm_OpenNewTabBGOther and expected them to do like they are named:
(like how cm_OpenDirInNewTab and cm_OpenDirInNewTabOther work)
open a new tab, in the target panel with the current folder of the SOURCE PANEL
but no, they
open a new tab, in the target panel with the current folder of the TARGET PANEL and switch the cursor to the target panel ??? :shock:

For that behavior I would have expected a name like cm_OpenNewTabTarget / cm_OpenNewTabBGTarget.

PS: I would like to have all 4 commands added to TC, tia.
Hoecker sie sind raus!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I also find it annoying that focus is set to the Target panel when these two commands are used.

We already had cm_OpenDirInNewTabOther that (if cursor is not placed on a dir entry) opens the current dir in the source side in a tab in the target side - So I don't think the new cm_OpenNewTabOther should do the same - current implementation where cm_OpenNewTabOther opens the currrent dir in the target in a new tab in the target side seems OK.

But maybe a cm_CopyTabOther command should be added to mimic the context menu item "Copy tab to other panel"

I have use my own command for "Copy tab to other panel":

Code: Select all

[em_ext_copytab]
cmd=cm_FocusTrg,cm_OpenNewTab,cm_FocusTrg,cm_MatchSrc,cm_FocusTrg
menu=Copy current folder tab to opposite panel
but a dedicated cm_CopyTabOther wouldn't be bad.

I also have a Move tab to other panel function:

Code: Select all

[em_ext_movetab]
cmd=cm_FocusTrg,cm_OpenNewTab,cm_FocusTrg,cm_MatchSrc,cm_CloseCurrentTab,cm_FocusTrg
menu=Move current folder tab to opposite panel
but a cm_MoveTabOther could also be usefull instead.

Actually:
cm_OpenNewTabOther = cm_FocusTrg,cm_OpenNewTab
cm_OpenNewTabBgOther = cm_FocusTrg,cm_OpenNewTabBg

so did we really need new commands?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

petermad wrote: ↑2023-05-06, 07:48 UTC We already had cm_OpenDirInNewTabOther that (if cursor is not placed on a dir entry) opens the current dir in the source side in a tab in the target side - So I don't think the new cm_OpenNewTabOther should do the same
I disagree. cm_OpenDirInNewTabOther doesn't open the current folder, but the folder under the cursor. The fact that the cursor can be located on the transition element to the parent directory doesn't at all equate the action to what is requested.
petermad wrote: ↑2023-05-06, 07:48 UTC But maybe a cm_CopyTabOther command should be added to mimic the context menu item "Copy tab to other panel"
In this case, it will be necessary to rename the existing commands cm_OpenNewTab and cm_OpenNewTabBg to cm_CopyNewTab and cm_CopyNewTabBg.
But I think the main idea is that when opening a new one, there may not be tabs at all.
petermad wrote: ↑2023-05-06, 07:48 UTCso did we really need new commands?
In my understanding, if there is a menu item and a hotkey, the absence of an internal command is bad.
We cannot immediately assign a hotkey for a combination without a custom command.
Many of the existing internal commands can be implemented through a combination, but they still exist.
Fla$her wrote: ↑2023-04-26, 12:42 UTC Much of what is in the internal commands of TC can be easily achieved by other means, this doesn't mean that these commands need to be cut out of the program.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Fla$her
I disagree. cm_OpenDirInNewTabOther doesn't open the current folder, but the folder under the cursor. The fact that the cursor can be located on the transition element to the parent directory doesn't at all equate the action to what is requested.
The cursor can also just be located on a file (as I wrote: "if cursor is not placed on a dir entry")

In this case, it will be necessary to rename the existing commands cm_OpenNewTab and cm_OpenNewTabBg to cm_CopyNewTab and cm_CopyNewTabBg.
But I think the main idea is that when opening a new one, there may not be tabs at all.
Why would that be necessary? And a panel without visible tabs is still a tab (hence the option: "Show tab header also when there is only one tab"), so we can always talk about copying a tab.
Last edited by petermad on 2023-05-06, 14:10 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

petermad wrote: ↑2023-05-06, 14:03 UTCThe cursor can also just be located on a file
In any case, this is not an analogy.
petermad wrote: ↑2023-05-06, 14:03 UTCAnd a panel without visible tabs is still a tab
This is debatable. Many will disagree with this point of view.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Fla$her wrote: ↑2023-05-06, 14:08 UTC
petermad wrote: ↑2023-05-06, 14:03 UTCThe cursor can also just be located on a file
In any case, this is not an analogy.
That is why i suggest a new command cm_CopyTabOther to do the same as the context menu item "Copy tab to other panel"

Fla$her wrote: ↑2023-05-06, 14:08 UTC
petermad wrote: ↑2023-05-06, 14:03 UTCAnd a panel without visible tabs is still a tab
This is debatable. Many will disagree with this point of view.
Well, apparently Ghisler think so since he uses the prase: "Show tab header also when there is only one tab" in the settings. Also - any of the current cm_commands for opening/copying folder tabs only works on the current tab, so it doesn't matter whether there are other tabs or not
License #524 (1994)
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

petermad wrote: ↑2023-05-06, 22:03 UTC That is why i suggest a new command cm_CopyTabOther to do the same as the context menu item "Copy tab to other panel"
This has nothing to do with OpenDir. In addition, if there is no tab, then there is no menu item with "Copy".
petermad wrote: ↑2023-05-06, 22:03 UTC Well, apparently Ghisler think so since he uses the prase: "Show tab header also when there is only one tab" in the settings. Also - any of the current cm_commands for opening/copying folder tabs only works on the current tab, so it doesn't matter whether there are other tabs or not
I am well aware of this option. But it's just about the fact that when it is deactivated, your statement ceases to be relevant, which means that the use of the original name with Open looks quite acceptable.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

history.txt wrote:04.05.23 Fixed: Internal commands cm_OpenNewTabOther and cm_OpenNewTabBgOther: The new tab opened in the other panel now gets the directory of the current tab of the active panel (32/64)
2ghisler(Author)
If there is only one tab and "Show tab header also if there is only on tab" is disabled, these commands have no effect - could you please change that so it works the same way as if that setting was enabled.
License #524 (1994)