Why do we need a new file "tcDirFrq.txt"?

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Why do we need a new file "tcDirFrq.txt"?

Post by *Dalai »

Usher wrote: 2023-05-05, 18:01 UTCWrong. There are all directories saves there - including paths from the portable drive, from network drives and from plugins used by this TC instance.
Well, network drives are the same as local drives - they are probably specific to this particular PC. But I agree with the rest.

It's the same as with TreeFileLocation which can also contain the same (sensitive) data if it saves to the default location in %LocalAppData%. The only difference is that the directory tree (Alt+F10) needs to be used, but other than that, it's the same.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

Dalai wrote: 2023-05-05, 17:24 UTC
Yes, you can. Set DirUsageLocation to %COMMANDER_PATH% and you'll copy this file along with the TC directory.

Yes we can do all such things. (and with next release another setting too, and then another one?)
If we would know that TC is now not any longer portable in the sense it was by using ""UseIniInProgramDir=7"".
But most people will not notice this new feature and so leaving tracks on PCs they do not know they make on default.
Christian is all about to make TC working the save way but me think this new setting is a step in the wrong way.

I suggest to leave such files in the TC-folder and use AppData only if the TC-folder is write protected.
Or enable that feature not on default.

MaxX
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MaxX »

How can I simply disable any creation of this txt?
I don't need any saved stats or history at all. I use portable TC on my USB flash drive, with read-only for all files in TC's dir.
Ukrainian Total Commander Translator. Feedback and discuss.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Stefan2 wrote: 2023-05-05, 18:35 UTC If we would know that TC is now not any longer portable in the sense it was by using ""UseIniInProgramDir=7"".
But most people will not notice this new feature and so leaving tracks on PCs they do not know they make on default.
Christian is all about to make TC working the save way but me think this new setting is a step in the wrong way.
+1
Stefan2 wrote: 2023-05-05, 18:35 UTC I suggest to leave such files in the TC-folder and use AppData only if the TC-folder is write protected.
support +1
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Stefan2 wrote: 2023-05-05, 18:35 UTCYes we can do all such things. (and with next release another setting too, and then another one?)
Yes, well, that's the world of software updates, isn't it? Reading changelogs, the software/update history is the necessary evil when you want to make sure a program does what you want it to. And there's almost always a new feature not everybody likes. I'm definitely one of those people. I can't count the number of features I disabled over the last couple of decades because I considered them dumb, useless, were the opposite of protecting users' privacy or even dangerous.

The good thing about TC is that it's very broadly configurable - unlike the Windows platform it runs on which is getting worse and worse, but I digress (as Jay likes to say).
If we would know that TC is now not any longer portable in the sense it was by using ""UseIniInProgramDir=7"".
As I pointed out above, just this setting is probably not enough.
Well, there are only tracks left on PCs of other people. Now that it's so much noise about this feature, many more people will notice and act accordingly - either leave it as it is or disable it if they see the need to do so.
I suggest to leave such files in the TC-folder and use AppData only if the TC-folder is write protected.
Would you suggest the same for ThumbsLocation and TreeFileLocation? Although the latter might be not a good example because treeinfo.wc is saved on the drive if possible.
Maybe create a poll about whether or not to enable this feature by default to get an impression how people feel/think about it?

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror