plugin irfanview 2.54: how does this plugin actually work???

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Bertus oud

plugin irfanview 2.54: how does this plugin actually work???

Post by *Bertus oud »

I had installed irfanview 2.54 plugin, and pointed to a cdr and clicked F3, but then I get a message wrong path.
My question how does this plugin actually work???

2Bertus oud
please use an subject which most exactly represents what this tread is about, thank you
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Re: plugin irfanview 2.54: how does this plugin actually work???

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

1. please use the forum search: http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=429470#p429470
2. you need the plugin AND IrfanView for this plugin to work.
3. you dont need the plugin to display a cdr in tc.
Hoecker sie sind raus!
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

2Bertus oud
Add the path to your i_view64.exe and/or i_view32.exe in irfanview.ini.

Example:

Code: Select all

C:\totalcmd\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView_2\irfanview.ini ... corresponds to the following on my PC: ...
%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView_2\irfanview.ini
irfanview.ini ... Add your paths(!) ...

[Options]
path64=%COMMANDER_PATH%\Tools\IrfanView-portable-64bit\IrfanView\i_view64.exe
path=%COMMANDER_PATH%\Tools\IrfanView-portable\IrfanView\i_view32.exe
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

Really struggling to understand the instructions to get this plugin installed and working here, can anyone please help?

I've followed the tuska instructions. I've auto-installed the plugin using all default settings. I've added

[Options]
path=c:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\i_view32.exe
to the irfanview.ini I found in the plugin installation folder which is pointing to where my IrfanView and its own i_view32.ini is located.

I've restarted TC and still I get Invalid Application Path!

I'm lost at this instruction from the author in their readme file:

Copy the file from the i_view32.ini plugin package to the folder with IrfanView
What is the file? I'll happily copy whatever file it is, but what is the file that needs copying?
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

Add your setting to e.g.
C:\totalcmd\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\irfanview.ini

and NOT to e.g.
C:\totalcmd\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView\irfanview.ini (... where i_view32.ini is located)

If you are already using the TC IrfanView Plugin 1.8.2, then another installation location is recommended
for the TC IrfanView Plugin 2.54, otherwise the TC IrfanView Plugin 1.8.2 will be overwritten.

For example, I created this folder for this: C:\totalcmd\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView_2\

Note:
With TC IrfanView Plugin 2.54, F3 Lister does not call the "Lister (IrfanView)" but IrfanView directly.
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

you need to play with the rearrangement of words in places in this sentence;)
Copy the i_view32.ini file from the plugin's package (taking into account, of course, the appropriate bitness) to the folder with IrfanView
#146217 personal license
beb

Post by *beb »

2DRP535

From the author's readme:

Copy the file from the i_view32.ini or i_view64.ini plugin package to the
folder with IrfanView, depending on the bit depth of IrfanView
The path to IrfanView is specified in the irfanview.ini file and must obey the
following rules:
1. Empty section [Options].
File i_view32.exe is searched in the \IrfanView subfolder of the plugin.
File i_view64.exe is searched in the \IrfanView64 subfolder of the plugin.
In this case, the entire functionality of the plugin works.
So, to begin with, let's follow the author's instructions, understanding them as follows:

A. Installed TCIrfanView plugin by default searches for the IrfanView executables within the TCIrfanView plugin's subfolders:
- "i_view32.exe" - in "\IrfanView" TCIrfanView plugin's subfolder
- "i_view64.exe" - in "\IrfanView64" TCIrfanView plugin's subfolder
Thus, the author assumes that by default a user installs IrfanView in the above-mentioned plugin's subfolders:

%commander_path%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView\i_view32.exe
%commander_path%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView64\i_view64.exe
B. As soon as IrfanView is installed, a user needs to make sure that the dedicated IrfanView .ini(s) that come with the TCIrfanView plugin itself (that were specifically configured by the plugin's author) are kept intact and were not overwritten by IrfanView's original .ini(s) upon installation.
To be 100% sure that the requirements are fulfilled a user has to replace IrfanView's original .ini(s) with ones that come with the plugin:
- take dedicated "wlx_TCIrfanView_2.54.7z\IrfanView\i_view32.ini" from the plugin and place it as "IrfanView\i_view32.ini" REPLACING original IrfanView's .ini next to "i_view32.exe"
- take dedicated "wlx_TCIrfanView_2.54.7z\IrfanView64\i_view64.ini" from the plugin and place it as "IrfanView64\i_view64.ini" REPLACING original IrfanView's .ini next to "i_view64.exe"

C. As soon as a user makes sure that the TCIrfanView plugin is working as intended in the default configuration, a user has unrestricted liberty to install/place IrfanView wherever a user wants, making sure the plugin's "i_view32.ini, i_view64.ini" (from the plugin's archive) are intact and kept next to "i_view32.exe, i_view64.exe", and the plugin's "irfanview.ini" contains the valid path(s) to the IrfanView executable(s), e.g.:
plugin's "irfanview.ini":

[Options]
path=%commander_drive%\Utils\IrfanView\32\i_view32.exe 
path64=%commander_drive%\Utils\IrfanView\64\i_view64.exe
NB
What is the file? I'll happily copy whatever file it is, but what is the file that needs copying?
The straightforward answer to namely this your question is point B.

Edit:
In the case of your example of irfanview.ini, when it's assumed that the IrfanView has been already installed to
"c:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\i_view32.exe",
"wlx_TCIrfanView_2.54.7z\IrfanView\i_view32.ini" from the plugin should be copied to
"c:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\i_view32.ini" REPLACING original IrfanView's .ini.
Last edited by beb on 2023-05-21, 11:06 UTC, edited 6 times in total.
#278521 User License
Total Commander [always the latest version, including betas] x86/x64 on Win10 x64/Android 10
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

AntonyD wrote: 2023-05-21, 07:55 UTC
Copy the i_view32.ini file from the plugin's package
(taking into account, of course, the appropriate bitness)
to the folder with IrfanView
???

I don't know if that's such a good idea, because then the settings from the plugin's package would be used,
instead of your own settings.

i_view32.ini
This file is required in %COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView\ only (and automatically present there after plug-in installation)
if the file .............. %COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\irfanview.ini contains only the [Options] section
and the path to the 32bit (i_view32.exe) IrfanView variant was not saved in this file.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

I will not comment on any further installation proposals until further notice.

My suggestion here has been tested successfully - (even using the setting: C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\i_view32.exe).
I am interested to know whether the user DRP535 was also able to successfully implement this suggestion.

By the way, it was only one of two possible installation variants.

%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\
irfanview.ini    ->> [Options]
                        ->> path=c:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\i_view32.exe
IrfanView.wlx
IrfanView.wlx64
That's all you need in irfanview.ini [Options]! --- (user DRP535)

Note:
With TC IrfanView Plugin 2.54, F3 Lister does NOT call the "Lister (IrfanView)" but IrfanView directly!
With Ctrl+Q the preview is displayed in the opposite TC window - window title, e.g. "xxx.JPG - irfanview".
With this variant, it is no longer possible to switch to other plug-ins after F3 Lister by pressing the 4 key several times,
which could also have displayed this file [possibly even better].

The TC IrfanView Plugin 1.8.2 opens the Lister window (IrfanView) with F3 or displays a preview with Ctrl+Q.
Step-by-Step Instructions - German - for TC IrfanView Plugin 1.8.2
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

My 2 cents to the installation and usage of the IrfanView 2.54 plugin.
I like it more than the version 1.8.2 which for me sometimes has problems to show all IrfanView buttons.

I agree with Tuska and did not copy the Irfanview ini files
from the plugin archive into my IrfanView home dir.
Using my normal ini file works perfect.

The plugin works in TC 32bit and TC x64 with the x64 Irfanview.
The ini file in the plugin dir looks like this in my case

[Options]
path64=C:\Tools\IrfanView\i_view64.exe
path=C:\Tools\IrfanView\i_view64.exe
Not being able to use the key 4 to change the plugin is no longer importand for me
since we have the Lister menu Plugins from which I can directly select any other available plugin.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

Copy the i_view32.ini file from the plugin's package (taking into account, of course, the appropriate bitness) to the folder with IrfanView
But doing this will overwrite all my customised IrfanView settings I have stored for using irfanView as my default image viewer (I have by settings files stored in the program directory). Is it possible to merge and combine the settings into one file or should I backup by IrfanView settings file and then reinstall putting the settings into my User/Application Data folder instead?
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

DRP535 wrote: 2023-05-21, 15:03 UTC
But doing this will overwrite all my customised IrfanView settings I have stored for using irfanView as my default image viewer (I have by settings files stored in the program directory). Is it possible to merge and combine the settings into one file or should I backup by IrfanView settings file and then reinstall putting the settings into my User/Application Data folder instead?
As I wrote above there is no need to do so !
I use my unmodified IrfanView settings without problems.
Try it and you can later add lines from the plugin archive files if required.
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
HerbieH

Post by *HerbieH »

Hello Bertus oud :P

I think, you are not being treated very well by all those clever people, who actually mean well, ..but cannot see, that all you probably just need, is a simple, straightforward step by step guide to make the 'irfanview' plugin AND the program play together.

a guide, that doesn't contain any 'fancy' tech. abbreviation or rare 'one-worders' like 'bitness' (I actually had to google that one.)

With all respect to all 'nerds' on this forum: I thing you should look at the answers from 'petermad'.
He has a great knowledge of everything about TC, plugins etc. but most importantly: He communicates useful solutions to people, that are not as nerdy, as he is himself.

Ps. In Denmark, we have an education called 'Naturvejleder (Nature (or. natural) counsellor) which is an extension you can take to f.eks. PhD's and other scientific educations of all sorts. This makes highly qualified people able to communicate complex stuff, e.g., to ...ME! :mrgreen:
HerbieH*
-Keep on makin' music!
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

HerbieH wrote: 2023-05-21, 15:47 UTC Hello Bertus oud :P

I think, you are not being treated very well by all those clever people, who actually mean well, ..but cannot see, that all you probably just need, is a simple, straightforward step by step guide to make the 'irfanview' plugin AND the program play together.

a guide, that doesn't contain any 'fancy' tech. abbreviation or rare 'one-worders' like 'bitness' (I actually had to google that one.)

With all respect to all 'nerds' on this forum: I thing you should look at the answers from 'petermad'.
He has a great knowledge of everything about TC, plugins etc. but most importantly: He communicates useful solutions to people, that are not as nerdy, as he is himself.

Ps. In Denmark, we have an education called 'Naturvejleder (Nature (or. natural) counsellor) which is an extension you can take to f.eks. PhD's and other scientific educations of all sorts. This makes highly qualified people able to communicate complex stuff, e.g., to ...ME! :mrgreen:
I don't know what you read or what you don't understand.
Its simple enough, double clicking the install archive installes the plugin.
Add the path to your IrfanView installation into the plugins IrfanView.ini
Thats all.
And stop to advertise non TC related commercial stuff or you may be banned.
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

Horst.Epp wrote: 2023-05-21, 14:56 UTC My 2 cents to the installation and usage of the IrfanView 2.54 plugin.
I like it more than the version 1.8.2 which for me sometimes has problems to show all IrfanView buttons.

Not being able to use the key 4 to change the plugin is no longer important for me
since we have the Lister menu Plugins from which I can directly select any other available plugin.
My 2 cents to your statements:
Obviously, some things are different with you than with me concerning the TC IrfanView Plugin 1.8.2 and 2.54.

The buttons displayed in TC IrfanView Plugin 1.8.2 with "F3 Lister-IrfanView" are the same as directly e.g. in IrfanView v4.62 - 64 bit.
But maybe I don't use F3 Lister as much as you do and I no longer notice this effect.

For me, F3 Lister does NOT open the Lister window in which you could select other plugins via menu "Plugins"
but directly the IrfanView window.
(Only if under Configuration - Lister plugins (.WLX) the TC IrfanView Plugin 1.8.2 or another plugin
is still above the TC IrfanView Plugin 2.54, I can access the menu item "Plugins" after pressing F3 Lister).

However it came to these different settings(?) - let's just leave it at that.