[TC 11.00b2] Improper alignment of sub-objects and width of a new "Hot-Dirs" menu

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

[TC 11.00b2] Improper alignment of sub-objects and width of a new "Hot-Dirs" menu

Post by *AntonyD »

https://ibb.co/5hSkNMK
You can clearly see how badly the objects are not-aligned on the bottom boundary?
Also, do you notice that the filter/search box is TOO tight pressed against the bottom edge of the history menu?
Look precisely into the red oval.
There is also a suspicion that this problem is simply derived from a DPI-{not?}aware error or something similar.
I have 120 DPI in the Total settings in the Fonts settings section.
And when I set 96, I get a more correct alignment: https://ibb.co/9sfWCyW
Well, looking more precisely - except that the new "menu" still completely overrides the additional elements of the filter field.
And still completely missing the gap between the filter field and the bottom border of the new "menu"

In the case when TOO long names of the folders I visited begin to appear in this menu, the situation becomes much worse:
https://ibb.co/WxmPfff
see how this new menu completely covers the auxiliary rightmost objects?

Also, an obvious mistake is the fact that when deleting "long" records from this "menu" - its width does not change dynamically downwards. Only reopening allows you to see the reduced width. In the picture above I just deleted a very long string and as you can see now the size of the "menu" is very wide compared to the values it displays. Lot of empty space on the right.

These "additional" objects are coming from the plugin QuickSearch eXtended 2.2.9
BUT! there are no such both problems when these objects are drawn over regular File panels - where this search/filter was originally needed/used.
#146217 personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [TC 11.00b2] Improper alignment of sub-objects and width of a new "Hot-Dirs" menu

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [TC 11.00b2] Improper alignment of sub-objects and width of a new "Hot-Dirs" menu

Post by *AntonyD »

But the fact of layering a new menu over the GUI sub-objects from the plugin is still clearly not relevant to this problem.
There's something different here.

And about the dynamic resizing of this menu when deleting records in us - this is also very important for user usability.
#146217 personal license
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

1) OK - alignment on bottom line is fixed. Confirmed in TC 11.00b3
2) NOT ok - there is still NO a visible little gap between bottom border of this new menu and top border of a filter's GUI field.
3) NOT ok - additional elements from plugin QuickSearch eXtended are rendering still UNDER this new menu.
Yes, sometimes I saw some ?delay? before rendering the general filters' field and additional plugin's GUI elements. But it was non stable.
Mostly I observе the problematic case "UNDER"...
4) NOT ok - "an obvious mistake is the fact that when deleting "long" records from this "menu" - its width does not change dynamically downwards. Only reopening allows you to see the reduced width. In the picture above I just deleted a very long string and as you can see now the size of the "menu" is very wide compared to the values it displays. Lot of empty space on the right." - THIS does not fix yet.
After removing the rows, resizing this menu should happen instantly and in both directions. Those: both in height (fewer entries are now displayed in the menu) and in width (if the most "protruding"/longest entries were removed)
#146217 personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, I don't have any plans to change 2-4, they are as intented.
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-05-18, 13:07 UTC Sorry, I don't have any plans to change 2-4, they are as intented.
Somehow I can more-or-less understand why 2 and 4 will not be fixed - although this is a VERY_VERY strange decision.
BUT point 3? When you call to draw a GUI-element of called plugin and it is drawn UNDER your new menu/list - what: it doesn't need to be fixed???
#146217 personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

3) is not done by me. My guess is that Quick Search extended uses the TC main menu as its parent, so it will not work when it is called from a child window. The author of Quick Search extended will have to fix that, there is nothing I can do myself.
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

2ghisler(Author)
Looks like we have some problems with understanding - HOW in nowadays reality TC in a new hot-dirs/all-tabs lists is working.
Author of that plugin has some questions:
viewtopic.php?p=433135#p433135
pls, answer there.

Very probably that you CAN do a little something worth)) which can help to another plugins' developers to do they job better.
Looks like we now HAVE to somehow to distinguish from inside the plugins API - in which part of TC's GUI a plugin has been called.
From point of view of this particular plugin we have to distinguish between next concepts:
- 1. TC<11: filter the file panels
- 2. TC<11: filter search results in file panels
- 3. TC11+: filter the list of open tabs
- 4. TC11+: filter the list of recently visited directories
#146217 personal license