[TC 11.00b3] - shift left/right arrow changed when using inplace rename?

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

hi5
Power Member
Power Member

[TC 11.00b3] - shift left/right arrow changed when using inplace rename?

Post by *hi5 »

Press shift F6 twice so only the filename is active and the caret is just before the dot, in TC 10.X and earlier, keeping shift pressed you could move left & right.

In TC 11 betas (32/64) pressing LEFT doesn't do anything so you're "stuck" with the full name selected, BUT pressing RIGHT now suddenly the selection from the LEFT SIDE is shortened while the caret remains at the RIGHT side (just before the dot)

[ selection ]
| indicates caret

Shift+F6 twice

[longfilename|].ext

keep shift pressed, press LEFT doesn't do anything (while it used to and is expected) so it remains:

[longfilename|].ext

still keeping shift presses, press RIGHT and the selection changes:

lon[gfilename|].ext
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [TC 11.00b3] - shift left/right arrow changed when using inplace rename?

Post by *petermad »

Confirmed.

It has to do with the new feature:
history.txt wrote:03.04.23 Added: In place rename, command line: Stop at more non-alphanumeric characters on Ctrl+Left/Right: \/(),.;=''^+-%&!_[ ]{} (32/64)
If you put:

Code: Select all

CtrlArrow=0
in your wincmd.ini [Configuration] section, it works like in TC 10.52
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

2hi5
this is NOT a bug but a new feature:

1) Shift+F6 -> Shift+LEFT once so you can in/decrease the selection from the LEFT side with Shift+Left/Right
2) Shift+F6 -> Shift+RIGHT once so you can in/decrease the selection from the RIGHT side with Shift+Left/Right
Hoecker sie sind raus!
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *hi5 »

2Sir_Silva
I don't think so, shift LEFT does not do anything - that's my point, that is so counterintuitive that I can't believe it is by design.

2petermad

CtrlArrow=0 does the trick, I was getting upset it no longer worked as I need it to. crisis averted.
F4MiniMenu (Forum) - Open selected file(s) from TC in defined editor(s) - A (minimalistic) clone of F4Menu
Source at GitHub (AutoHotkey). TCSyncComments (copy file comments)
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Sir_SiLvA
1) Shift+F6 -> Shift+LEFT once so you can in/decrease the selection from the LEFT side with Shift+Left/Right
Not anymore. Shift+Left does not do anything if the name part is selected and the cursor is at the end of the name.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

petermad wrote: 2023-05-17, 22:19 UTC 2Sir_SiLvA
Not anymore. Shift+Left does not do anything if the name part is selected and the cursor is at the end of the name.
that is a bug then? otherwise this "new feature" doesnt make any sense at all anymore :?:
Hoecker sie sind raus!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

No, the location of the cursor indicator doesn't matter because it can't be set at the same time as the selection. All that matters is how you selected the name. If you selected it with END, Shift+Cursor left, then the cursor is assumed to be at the start.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

2ghisler(Author)
Those, it turns out that in fact there is no way to use the usual keys, their set, to perform the usual actions, if the new code is activated, which just complements a few characters to stop the selection? and now it becomes harder to make this selection at times (((((
I don't understand this change/feature at all.
Maybe it's time to look for new libraries of GUI elements that would have their own code, their own implementation with many non-standard add-ons that could be activated in Total??????

You're probably already counting - how many people write about this bug (yes - this is a bug behavior, and nothing else) - and how it helps them just turning on the old way of handling the cursor movement/selection applying. Those they DO NOT use THAT - what you like you introduced as an innovation and benefit (for whom? who asked for these new characters?), but at the same time completely blocking the usual components of these actions.
#146217 personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2AntonyD
Sorry, I don't understand your comment. Which "usual keys" do not work?
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

Which "usual keys" do not work?
quote from the first post:
"In TC 11 betas (32/64) pressing LEFT doesn't do anything so you're "stuck" with the full name selected"
just for example
Simply put (although I’m not sure if it’s really simpler here) - all those keyboard shortcuts that worked in 10.52 in this field IMMEDIATELY after entering the name editing mode - either don’t work here, or work in a non-intuitive sequence.

And again - who asked for these new characters for stopping on them during [re-]selection? Why was this change even made?
You can even make a poll on the site - who will have the option set: CtrlArrow=0
#146217 personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

"In TC 11 betas (32/64) pressing LEFT doesn't do anything so you're "stuck" with the full name selected"
I cannot reproduce that. Mayb eit depends on how you selected the full name?
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

The selection occurs automatically after the code handler is triggered by the SHIFT+F6 key combination
This is all described in the first post of this topic and has already been described 3 times in other topics
#146217 personal license
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2AntonyD
Do you perhaps mean pressing Shift+LEFT?

Because here by me, pressing LEFT makes the cursor jump to the start and remove the selection (when used right after having pressed Shift+F6).

The old way (with CtrlArrow=0), pressing LEFT jumped one character to the left and cleared the selection - this seems more intuitive to me.
Last edited by petermad on 2023-05-18, 15:10 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
License #524 (1994)
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *hi5 »

To clarify: Pressing left WHILE YOU KEEP SHIFT PRESSED as I describe it, so SHIFT-F6, -> entire name+ext selected -> SHIFT-F6 again, just the name, still keep SHIFT PRESSED (the caret is before the . of the ext) now press LEFT (e.g. SHIFT-LEFT) nothing happens

With CtrlArrow=0 the behaviour from TC10 (and many versions before it) works again with shift-f6, shift-f6, (keep shift pressed), left.

Because it is so counter intuitive that nothing happens after shift-f6, shift-f6, (keep shift pressed), left (I don't know of any selection process in a program that wouldn't work like that) I consider it a "bug" even if it is intended as a feature. Therefore I will use the CtrlArrow=0 so it meets my expectations.

I'm fairly certain this "left does nothing" behaviour will trip up many people as you need to use a "ctrl" setting to make "shift" work. You won't find it because you are looking for "shift". Anyway, my issue is fixed with the setting.
F4MiniMenu (Forum) - Open selected file(s) from TC in defined editor(s) - A (minimalistic) clone of F4Menu
Source at GitHub (AutoHotkey). TCSyncComments (copy file comments)
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

Do you perhaps mean pressing Shift+LEFT?
yes. and *hi5* described it more effective above.

That’s why I’m talking - the number of people who will need to recover intuitive and habitual behavior through CtrlArrow=0 will only grow. It will be very difficult to find those who have to taste this innovation. So there is a reasonable question - so to whom and for what it was done? After all, there is no reason to consider the new behavior more convenient, friendly, intuitive, useful, etc. And why is it "such" then?
#146217 personal license