Comparing files before copying (Solved; was searching for "Synchronize dirs")

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

shawnf

Comparing files before copying (Solved; was searching for "Synchronize dirs")

Post by *shawnf »

Hi

I don't know if there is an option in TC to do this. I tried looking in the forums but "copy" is a very common word.

I back up my media machine every couple of weeks to my server. with all the metadata, jpg's files etc there is over 100,000+ files.
When I copy the root folder it scan's the source folder to calculate the file size (I know I can turn that off).
Then it goes through file by file to check if it exists and if the date is more recent. (I overwrite newer files).

This takes about an hour to go through all the files/folders to then copy maybe 50-100 files across.

So what I want to find out is there an option somewhere I haven't found, where TC can scan the Source folder/structure, then scan the destination folder/structure and compare them and just copy/replace any changed files rather than go through each directory individually?

Would make a 1 hour operation just 10 minutes or less.
I have found posts about fastcopy, but I haven't looked into that yet, but I prefer to use TC rather than call a 3rd party function if possible.

Thanks

Shawn
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Comparing files before copying

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Sounds like you are looking for Menu -> commands -> synchronize dir.

more about it in the helpfile (f1 -> 3.c Operation/Menus -> Commands -> Synchronize dirs)!
Hoecker sie sind raus!
shawnf

Post by *shawnf »

Hi.

Thanks for pointing this out, that is what I was after. Makes it much faster.
Seyran_72

Post by *Seyran_72 »

click "Sync directories" (compare directories/folders).
UNCHECK the two checkboxes "Compare by content" and "Ignore date". Then any files that differ in the time of the last editing (change) will be considered different