Hotkeys for multi-rename presets

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ymmv

Hotkeys for multi-rename presets

Post by *ymmv »

I've been a long-time TC user (20+ years), but after getting a Mac I needed a similar file management tool for OSX. So I tried Double Commander, an obvious TC clone, and I was surprised to find that DC isn't half bad. In fact, it has a few features that TC should have, too.

One of these is that you can use hotkeys for your most used rename presets. The first nine presets in the list are assigned to alt-1 to alt-9. (Alt-0 is used to load the last preset). It's possible to edit the sort order of the presets, so you can define which presets get which alt-<number> key.

IMO this would be a very useful addition to TC.

Image: https://doublecmd.github.io/doc/en/images/imgDC/mulrenpreset.png
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Hotkeys for multi-rename presets

Post by *Gral »

in TC you can create keyboard shortcuts for as many stored rename operations as you like using the command MULTIRENAME stored_operation_name.
E.g.

Code: Select all

[em_mymultirename001]
button=WCMICON2.DLL,33
cmd=MULTIRENAME
param=myrename001

With double equal sign you can autoexecute command, e.g.:

Code: Select all

[em_mymultirename002]
button=WCMICON2.DLL,33
cmd=MULTIRENAME
param==myrename002
ymmv

Post by *ymmv »

The way multi rename keyboard shortcuts work in Double Commander is much, much simpler than your solution of course. In DC it's clear how it works just by looking at the GUI elements. In TC you can build the same functionality, but you've got to be a Total Commander guru to know how to implement it. That's a big difference.
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

Yes, I know that in TC it is too complicated, especially from the point of view of a novice user. I often make suggestions to make things easier, but usually these suggestions are not accepted for unknown reasons. Mostly, I don't care about my own convenience, because I will always manage, I just need TC to be a good, coherent and logical program.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

ymmv wrote: 2023-05-22, 12:38 UTC ... but you've got to be a Total Commander guru to know how to implement it. ...

As whit every application ;-) (but maybe on other features)

But you can ask for and get answers :
"Multi-rename tool (MRT) / Save+Load template (MULTIRENAME) / Default setting" >>>> viewtopic.php?p=347067#p347067

ymmv

Post by *ymmv »

Well, that's not really what I want. I don't want to launch a rename operation in the regular two panel file management interface, I don't want to create buttons with custom commands.

I want to use hot keys while I'm in the Multi-Rename tool so I can load a saved preset with one key combination. Now it always takes a few seconds to manually select the saved setting (I've got about 25 different rename mask saved, but I use about six of them very frequently). Double Commander has got that feature, I'd like to see it in TC.

Or why not use the Ampersand sign in the name of a saved rename setting to create a hot key? (This is how the ampersand is used in the directory menu). Save a rename setting like "&1 - Rename MP3s" and then make it possible to press F2 and then 1 to immediately load that saved setting. That way you could create dozens of user defined hot keys.
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

First sign for stored operation works here, so you can use at least 26 different latin letters and 10 digits in names, also special signs.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

Ah, I understand now better your suggestion.

For the first letter as hotkey you do not need an ampersand at all: "&1 - Rename MP3s"
Just save as
"1 - Rename MP3s"
"2 remove blanks"

and use with
F2 ; 1
F2 ; 2
or F2 ; Arrow-up/down

instead of the DC version
Alt+1
Alt+2

Me think, nearly the same, just different behavior.
After pressing F2, you also see the list like in your screenshot.

You can edit the wincmd.ini manually at your own and add leading numbers or chars:
[rename]
1 Rename MP4s_name=[N]
1 Rename MP4s_ext=[E]
1 Rename MP4s_params=2|1|1|1

No need to restart TC here, just edit, save and next open MRT and use.

So you can also redirect the "[rename]"-section to an extra file (like wincmd_rename.ini) and exchange that file to get different templates.