TC 10.52: issue with "Extra lines below cursor=0" setting on "go back to parent folder"

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Michael REMY

TC 10.52: issue with "Extra lines below cursor=0" setting on "go back to parent folder"

Post by *Michael REMY »

hi,

i have an issue with the 10.52 release than i did not have with the 8.52.

my setting to "Extra lines below cursor" is 0 (and i do not want more).
when i'm in a sub-folder and decide to go-back to the parent, then the cursor put me in the bottom !
In previous version, when i go back to parent folder, i was put on the top (the parent was always on top in the back operation) .

did i miss another option to fix that ?
i'm an old long user of TC since the windows 3.11 release !, for the history, i came to tc when i migrate from amiga commodore to PC where they are diskmanager and directory opus there.
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Re: issue with "Extra lines below cursor" setting

Post by *Gral »

Michael REMY wrote: 2023-05-25, 14:24 UTC when i'm in a sub-folder and decide to go-back to the parent, then the cursor put me in the bottom !
How do you go back?

How did you discover that this behavior is related to this setting :?:
Michael REMY

Post by *Michael REMY »

when i update to 10.52 (from 8.52), i discover the auto-scroll was pre-activated (with value 4 in the option "Extra lines below cursor").
when i use keyboard to "work" on folders, the autoscoll list is "handicap" , so i desable it by put 0 this option.
now, when i go back to parent (i use ENTER key on ".." item to go back) or use the click on mouse, the back-list cursor is not positionned on the top but it remember the "last" position. the remember position was not in the 8.52. the 8.52 always put the cursor on top when i went to parent folder.

maybe there is another option to disable the "remind last position parent" ? i search but i don't find it.
Then using F1, i discover options named "ScrollingTopMargin=4 ScrollingBottomMargin=4 "

the 4 value was the default i replaced by 0. Curiously i did not fin any parameter of ScrollingTopMargin / ScrollingBottomMargin in the option dialog window either. Only one named "Extra lines below cursor"

it is strange, because even if my parent is in the middle before i go into the child folder, when i will go back it will put me in the bottom after the ".." action ! i can provide screenshots if my english is bad...

update : in fact, the go-back, did not remember the last parent position, it aways put me on the bottom.
i'm an old long user of TC since the windows 3.11 release !, for the history, i came to tc when i migrate from amiga commodore to PC where they are diskmanager and directory opus there.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Yes screenshot of your operation would be nice,
From your description I figured thus far:
you are working with lots of folders and sub folders and when you switch back from
a sub folder to its parent the cursor is not on the parent folder - is that correct???

The "Extra lines below cursor" setting is stored in ScrollingTopMargin and ScrollingBottomMargin (I dunno why in 2 vars)
Its default value is 4, and is used for Top/Bottom margin when scrolling through file lists with keyboard.

sound a bit like this

Code: Select all

15.02.21 Fixed: When going up one directory, the cursor was moved to the fifth directory from the bottom/top. Instead, use the margins set via Configuration - Options - Operation - Extra lines below cursor (32/64)
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Michael REMY

Re: TC 10.52: issue with "Extra lines below cursor=0" setting on "go back to parent folder"

Post by *Michael REMY »

here the case (before that , just remember i put 0 in the option EXTRAT LINES BELOW)

(i put the same list in left and right to let you understand the different between in/go-back from the parent/chid)

first (left), my folder is on the top (but it's not the first, look at the scrollbar), i will go into "rémi sans famille"( green arrow)

https://ibb.co/98gS9JW

then i am in the subfolder "remi sans famille" and i will hit the ".." item to go back to parent folder (purple arrow)
whatever i use mouse or keyboard, the issue is the same

https://ibb.co/D9wqkR4

and the issue: i went back in the parent folder "remi sans famile"
as you can see, the cursor is well on "remi sans famille" BUT the position in the list item is changed "autoscroll-down" my folder As if i scroll down myself the scrollbar (which i did not !)

https://ibb.co/wwFBT48

For me , it is a bug because i would expect the left side was like the right side (original position)

In my example, i chosse the top folder item , but if i go into a middle item like "superman" folder, the bug is the same.
when i will go back, "superman" folder will be bottom :

https://ibb.co/N98mHjZ

In my old memory of tc 8.52, when i went back to parent folder, the parent position was ALWAYS auto-scroll & focus in the top like THAT (i simulate both examples there : blue arrow)

https://ibb.co/xHkMrXQ
https://ibb.co/3Nk1XZ3

i hope my infos are clear with the screenshot.

best regards
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC 10.52: issue with "Extra lines below cursor=0" setting on "go back to parent folder"

Post by *petermad »

2Michael REMY
I just tested it with TC 8.52

If there are more folders that can fit in the panel and I go in and out of a folder that I have to scroll to reach, then when going back the folder name is positioned at the 4th last visible folder in the panel - in TC 10.52 it is placed as the last visible folder if "Options" -> "Operation" ->"Extra lines below cursor" is disabled (or set to 0).
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar