Expand drag-and-drop area to a separated extension field

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Slavic

Expand drag-and-drop area to a separated extension field

Post by *Slavic »

In Explorer (List view, Details view), the active area of drag-and-drop includes all selected line, at least the file icon, filename with extension and also Date, Type, Size if these fields are shown in the Explorer. In TC, currently only the file icon and filename (without separated extension) can be used for this operation. This cause some problem with the files with short name like 1-2 characters: a large space between the end of the name and extension cannot be used to begin dragging.

I suggest to extend the area, where drag-and-drop can start, at least to the end of extension, if the extension is aligned to a separate column (Configuration - Tabstops). .
Desktop: Windows 11 Pro 23H2, TC 11.03(RC). Mobile: Pixel 5a, Android 14, TC 3.42b5
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Expand drag-and-drop area to a separated extension field

Post by *petermad »

a large space between the end of the name and extension cannot be used to begin dragging.

I cannot reproduce that - I can start the dragging by clicking on any part of the file name, ext, size, date, etc: https://tcmd.madsenworld.dk/drag&drop.mp4
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Slavic

Post by *Slavic »

I cannot reproduce that - I can start the dragging by clicking on any part of the file name, ext, size, date, etc: https://tcmd.madsenworld.dk/drag&drop.mp4
Your test is much different from what I have. Apparently we have some different settings, need to understand which exactly.

When I move the mouse cursor to any area outside of file icon and filename, left click results in begin of rectangle selection (slightly darker area with dark border). This allows to select several files, and selected files get different colour (red in my case, they same in your). After that, the group of files can be dragged as a whole. Need to release left button and press it again. Yes, it's possible to select a single file, then it can be dragged the same way. But without such selection, only the icon and name can be dragged.

I hope I explained well enough, otherwise please ask more.
Desktop: Windows 11 Pro 23H2, TC 11.03(RC). Mobile: Pixel 5a, Android 14, TC 3.42b5
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Slavic

You are using "Left mouse button (Windows dtandard)" selection AND have "Rubberband selection" enabled in TC's "Options" configuration.

I am using the "Right mouse button (as in NC)" setting, which is the default.

So either disable LMB selection or disable Rubberband selection.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
Slavic

Post by *Slavic »

petermad wrote: 2023-06-04, 17:51 UTCYou are using "Left mouse button (Windows dtandard)" selection AND have "Rubberband selection" enabled in TC's "Options" configuration.

I am using the "Right mouse button (as in NC)" setting, which is the default.

So either disable LMB selection or disable Rubberband selection.
You are right, these settings are exactly what I have. And I can disable the "Rubber band selection" in Options, then mouse behaviour changes and all file rectangle becomes draggable. But why should I do this, if such settings correspond to my personal preferences and habits?

Well, I try to ask slightly differently: is it correct that drag-and-drop started from any point of current file is guaranteed only at default TC settings, and behaviour becomes different if user has some non-default preferences? Apparently TC has a conflict between these two options, while Explorer doesn't have such conflict. How can it be resolved, if it's possible of course? One way is to expand the drag area to the end of extension, and behind that point rubber band can work as now. Or may be some other ways... What you think and, maybe, can suggest?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Slavic
You can still do it with your settings (LMB selection and Rubberband selection) - just make sure the file you want to drag is selected first by either:
  • Press Ins or Space to select the file
  • Press Ctrl and click on the file
  • Click on the file and then Press Shift and click on the file
  • Just draw a small rubberband only at the one file
  • Or as you already know - click on the name part of the file or the file icon.
Explorer, by the way, almost behaves the same way - if the file is not selected first, it also draws a Rubberband - the difference is that Explorer selects the file with just a click, whereas in TC you need to use one of the methods listed here above.
License #524 (1994)
Slavic

Post by *Slavic »

petermad, sorry to say that, but you are not right here.
My suggestion is about some inconsistency in UI and possible way how this can be improved. You, on the other side, perceive my suggestion as an opinion of a person who doesn't understand how UI does work and who needs a help in that.

I don't need help! Not at all.

My opinion may be a result of some personal attitudes and even prejudice (you can say that) because I change many default UI settings. But all they are permittable changes. Why if we show an extension directly after a filename, click on it can start drag operation (in my settings), but if an extension is separated by tab column, it loses this ability? I see this as inconsistence, while you don't even try to discuss this.

Well, any suggestion can be accepted or refused by TC author's decision. It's OK. Anyone can criticise the suggestions, for example, because they may bring more problems than resolve some issues. Could you say something like: "I think that it will not improve TC UI because ..."? Critical opinion is often good, then I will try to rethink some ideas and maybe even agree that such proposition should be cancelled. But giving "helpful" advices to a person who writes in "Suggestions" section, is not OK.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Why if we show an extension directly after a filename, click on it can start drag operation (in my settings), but if an extension is separated by tab column, it loses this ability? I see this as inconsistence, while you don't even try to discuss this.
I cannot say why Ghisler chose to implement it this way, but a guess could be to make it easier to start a rubberband selection, even though that can always be started by clicking at any other column to the right of the extension column.

As I wrote earlier:
Explorer, by the way, almost behaves the same way - if the file is not selected first, it also draws a Rubberband - the difference is that Explorer selects the file with just a click, whereas in TC you need to use one of the methods listed here above.
So in order to make the LMB selection fully IE compatible, TC should be changed to select files with just a click (if no dragging is started at the same time) instead of as currently require either a Ctrl+click or a Shift+click.
License #524 (1994)