[Old] [minor] Pack dialog: 'Compression rate' always shows underlined symbol

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

[Old] [minor] Pack dialog: 'Compression rate' always shows underlined symbol

Post by *Flint »

0. Prerequisite: Make sure you have set the Windows option to hide underlined access keys by default, and show them only when pressing Alt.
1. Select one of more files, and call the Pack command in any way that does not involve pressing Alt. For example, by clicking the buttonbar button Pack; or choosing Files->Pack menu item with your mouse.
2. The Pack dialog appears, and the i letter in the "Compression rate" option is underlined, even though Alt was not pressed, and all the other options have their access keys not underlined.

Screenshot
Last edited by Flint on 2023-06-14, 01:57 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [11.00b] [minor] Pack dialog: 'Compression rate' always shows underlined symbol

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Confirmed. Unfortunately I could not find a reason for this behavior, it's just a normal label.
There are only 2 possible solutions:
1. Remove the hotkey altogether, or
2. Remove the function itself.
I do not want to do 2, so I will just remove the hotkey from the label. Users will have to use Tab.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [11.00b] [minor] Pack dialog: 'Compression rate' always shows underlined symbol

Post by *Flint »

I think, it could be left as it is. One of the most often ways to open the dialog is Alt+F5, and then all the access keys are underlined anyway, so it won't stand out. I feel that removing the access key will affect the keyboard-only users more significantly than that minor visual issue, repdoruced only under specific cirtumstances.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

I 100% Agree with Flint.
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

BTW, I've found the same behavior on the new History Settings dialog page: the following controls always show the underline:
• Font
• Max width in characters
• all 4 "Maximum items to show/save" labels
• Storage location…
• Scroll list
In other words, all static text labels that are not part of a common control, like checkboxes. I've checked other dialogs, and it seems this is a common issue for all the static text controls, wherever they are present, and it's not new for 11.00, it's been like that long before (I've randomly tried 7.04, and it's there too).

Therefore, there's definitely no need to remove that single accent in the Pack dialog.

Sorry for the confusion, I've never noticed that before, that's why I thought it was a new issue in 11.00.
I've removed the [11.00b] marker from the topic title now.

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [Old] [minor] Pack dialog: 'Compression rate' always shows underlined symbol

In other words, all static text labels that are not part of a common control, like checkboxes.
Thanks for pointing that out! This gave me a clue what to do: I need to pass parameter DT_HIDEPREFIX to DrawText when underlined hotkeys are disabled, which can be determined manually via SendMessage(handle,WM_QUERYUISTATE,0,0) and check for UISF_HIDEACCEL being set.

This turned out to be a major overhaul of the program, because in dark mode, all controls always had underlined hotkeys.
Please check in beta 7 whether I missed any. So far the only exception is the "Alt+F4 Exit" button in the main window, where the "x" is always underlined on purpose.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [Old] [minor] Pack dialog: 'Compression rate' always shows underlined symbol

Post by *Flint »

I confirm that the trick works in b7. I've taken a look at various dialogs, and mostly the underlines are indeed gone.

Still, there are few places remaining where it's not been fixed yet. However, the reproducability depends on which bitness of TC I'm running, and what translation I'm using (and, of course, it's not about presence or absence of the ampersands themselves).

For example, the Settings - Tabstops is one of the dialogs where the underlines are still shown.
1. Open this dialog in 64-bit TC with a custom translation -> all the static labels on the right (separator names and the "Date format") have underlines (if the language file provides them, of course; for example, our Russian translation does).
2. If you open the same dialog in 64-bit TC, with a built-in English, the result is the same (with the difference that the Separators group does not have ampersands in the translation, so of course they won't show).
3. Now open the same dialog in 32-bit TC instance with the same custom translation -> all the underlines are hidden for all the labels, exactly as they should be.
4. And, finally, 32-bit TC with built-in English -> suddenly ALL the static labels now show underlines (again, apart from the Separators group as they don't have them).

Even checking all the dialogs in just one version of TC would be tedious, but multiply that by 4… I'm not sure I'll be able to perform such an extensive check, especially since I'm supposed to be working on the translation for 11.00. :)

I'll try, of course, but it will take a lot of time. I hope other users will be able to join the search.

Here's a couple of other places I've found so far, where underlines are always visible:
• Settings - Custom columns (only 32-bit with built-in English; the 2 text labels at the top)
• Settings - View modes (only 32-bit with built-in English; Background and Background 2 labels; others don't seem to have ampersands in that translation)

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Settings - Tabstops is one of the dialogs where the underlines are still shown
NOT confirmed. Did you go there via keyboard (arrowm keys)? This will enable underlines.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Here is the video recording.
https://youtu.be/Hh8aY9hkmNI

I started TC 11.00b7 x64 with an empty INI, then using only mouse went over to Settings - Tabstops, and show that there is an underline. Then I switch to Russian, and again, using only mouse show that there are underlines. You can see that only some of the labels have underlines, which would be impossible if I used keyboard. To prove this, at the end of the video I press the Alt key to show all the available underlines, and you can see how they appear on the labels which did not show them before.

I'm using Windows 10 22H, did not try other OS versions.

white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

How about the Multi-Rename Tool? Is it how it is supposed to work? 32-bit and 64-bit work differently.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

That's a good find.
In 64-bit TC Multi-rename tool works correctly (underlines are not shown if opened with mouse, shown after pressing Alt, and shown if opened with keyboard).
But in 32-bit TC if I open it with mouse, the underlines never appear, even after pressing Alt. But if I use keyboard, they are shown correctly. (Keyboard navigation with Alt+key keeps working, even when the letters are not shown underlined).

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here is the video recording.
The label "Date format:" and the 4 labels for separators were of type TLabel (standard Lazarus control), I will change them to my own type which hides the underlined letters. I didn't see it first because the 4 labels are not translated in German.
No other dialogs are using TLabel with hotkeys, I have already made a search.
How about the Multi-Rename Tool?
It works when you press Alt when the cursor is in the result list. It doesn't when it's in the edit boxes because Alt is intercepted there. I will try to add it. Edit: Alt isn't used to show the underlined hotkeys in all comboboxes with edit control.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

This should be fixed in beta 8, please try it!
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

Moderator message from: white » 2023-06-23, 10:22 UTC

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Could someone please check whether the original bug reported here has been fixed?