OPENBAR1 doesn't save the button bar as the main (current) after restarting TC

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

OPENBAR1 doesn't save the button bar as the main (current) after restarting TC

Post by *Fla$her »

OPENBAR1 differs from OPENBAR by loading the main toolbar.
Logically, the command should keep a record in wincmd.ini

Code: Select all

[ButtonBar]
Buttonbar=<NAME>.bar
, which doesn't happen.
Overquoting is evil! πŸ‘Ž
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Re: OPENBAR1 doesn't save the button bar as the main (current) after restarting TC

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

a) where is this a bug?
b) OPENBAR can load the vertikal main toolbar too :!:

So I dont understand why this topic is in bugs instead of suggestions where it clearly belongs?
as all 3 openbar cmds do what they are supposed to do?
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Re: OPENBAR1 doesn't save the button bar as the main (current) after restarting TC

Post by *Fla$her »

Due to an incorrect description in TOTALCMD.INC. It is necessary to change the "main" to "horizontal".
09.06.16 Added: New commands OPENBAR1 and OPENBAR2 to open new button bar file in horizontal/vertical button bar.
The main one is perceived as default.
Last edited by Fla$her on 2023-06-16, 08:16 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Fla$her wrote: ↑2023-06-16, 08:09 UTC Due to an incorrect description in TOTALCMD.INC. It is necessary to change the "main" to "horizontal".
Where is the BUG?
main = horizontal bar and everyone knows that :!:
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Sir_SiLvA wrote: ↑2023-06-16, 08:12 UTC main = horizontal bar and everyone knows that :!:
Once again, you speak for everyone. It's not true.
Nowhere in the help does the phrase "main button bar" appear...
Before the appearance of the vertical bar, few people would call the horizontal bar the main one, because it was the only one. It was called the button bar or toolbar.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

a) I dont speak for Everyone but I at least use the wiki -> OpenBar(1) = Load main button bar from file
(OpenBar1 = OpenBar except if you put it in the vertical bar)
b) you can change the title as much as you want but it is not a bug as OpenBAR is not suppossed to replace anything
as the command discription clearly states: OpenBar(x) <filename> = Load button bar from a file
there is nothing written down about saving it and it was never intended that way.
Fla$her wrote: ↑2023-06-16, 08:23 UTC Before the appearance of the vertical bar, everyone would call the horizontal bar the main button bar, because it was the only one.
fixed your mistake, hth :D
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Wiki is a weak argument, only a few who wanted to spend time on it, such as you now, could read it there. No Openbar(x) in the official help and TOTALCMD.INC, especially in the version with parentheses.
Sir_SiLvA wrote: ↑2023-06-16, 08:46 UTC you can change the title as much as you want
Why is this said? As you can see from the lack of editing, I haven't changed anything yet. When I see fit, I will change both the title and description of the problem, if necessary.
Fla$her wrote: ↑2023-06-16, 08:23 UTC fixed your mistake, hth :D
It's better to keep silent about your mistakes, right?
Sir_SiLvA wrote: ↑2023-06-16, 08:12 UTCeveryone knows that :!:
Sir_SiLvA wrote: ↑2023-06-16, 08:46 UTCI dont speak for Everyone
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Fla$her wrote: ↑2023-06-16, 09:14 UTC Wiki is a weak argument, only a few who wanted to spend time on it, such as you now, could read it there. No Openbar(x) in the official help and TOTALCMD.INC, especially in the version with parentheses.
1. No, everyone can read the tc wiki :!:
2. Help -> Operation -> Menus -> Menu Configuration -> 11.
3. ???
totalcmd.inc wrote:
[________Commands with Parameters_________]=0
OPENBAR <filename>=-8;Load button bar from file
OPENBAR1 <filename>=-20;Load main button bar from file
OPENBAR2 <filename>=-21;Load vertical button bar from file
(as you can see even the Creator calls it main button bar... and no we dont need MORE documentation for OPENBAR(x) cause it does exactly whats in the name :D )
Fla$her wrote: ↑2023-06-16, 09:14 UTC It's better to keep silent about your mistakes, right?
Sir_SiLvA wrote: ↑2023-06-16, 08:12 UTCeveryone knows that :!:
Sir_SiLvA wrote: ↑2023-06-16, 08:46 UTCI dont speak for Everyone
The first one is called general knowledge and the second is a fact not a contradiction to the first as you wish it to be.

Lets get back to the point of your bug report which I still dont see anywhere.
Last edited by Sir_SiLvA on 2023-06-16, 10:25 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Hoecker sie sind raus!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

OPENBAR* is only temporary.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Sir_SiLvA wrote: ↑2023-06-16, 10:13 UTCas you can see even the Creator calls it main button bar... and no we dont need MORE documentation for OPENBAR(x) cause it does exactly whats in the name :D
Why should I see what I pointed out?:
Fla$her wrote: ↑2023-06-16, 08:09 UTCDue to an incorrect description in TOTALCMD.INC. It is necessary to change the "main" to "horizontal".
Once again, the description does not include the "OPENBAR(x)" entry to which I referred, only OPENBAR, OPENBAR1 and OPENBAR2.
Why point to the creator if errors in the documentation are constantly being corrected? It's strange to say the least.
I don't understand why you write about yourself in the plural.
Sir_SiLvA wrote: ↑2023-06-16, 10:13 UTCThe first one is called general knowledge and the second is a fact not a contradiction to the first as you wish it to be.
Your answer in my understanding is called casuistry.
Sir_SiLvA wrote: ↑2023-06-16, 10:13 UTCLets get back to the point of your bug report which I still dont see anywhere.
There doesn't seem to be anything to go back to. All explanations are given by me.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

ghisler(Author) wrote: ↑2023-06-16, 10:24 UTC OPENBAR* is only temporary.
This is understandable. I suggest making the description less ambiguous by replacing "main" with "horizontal".
OPENBAR1 <filename>=-20;Load mainhorizontal button bar from file
And then I will ask for the save option in the suggestions section.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Fla$her wrote: ↑2023-06-16, 10:41 UTC There doesn't seem to be anything to go back to. All explanations are given by me.
You post in the bug forum, one expects a bug report which this thread still lacks. :D
Fla$her wrote: ↑2023-06-16, 10:48 UTC This is understandable. I suggest making the description less ambiguous by replacing "main" with "horizontal".
And I concur, as theres nothing cryptic about "main button bar" because when someone reads
totalcmd.ini wrote: OPENBAR <filename>=-8;Load button bar from file
OPENBAR1 <filename>=-20;Load main button bar from file
OPENBAR2 <filename>=-21;Load vertical button bar from file
its clear from the context that main = horizontal.
You could complain in your casuistry way that Openbar only loads the vertical bar when its
written in it which you didnt do either. :D
Fla$her wrote: ↑2023-06-16, 10:41 UTC Once again, the description does not include the "OPENBAR(x)" entry to which I referred, only OPENBAR, OPENBAR1 and OPENBAR2.
There are only those 3 and as everyone of those 3 is different it would not be helpful to write "OPENBAR(x)" in the documentation.
Fla$her wrote: ↑2023-06-16, 10:41 UTC Why point to the creator if errors in the documentation are constantly being corrected?
You yet failed to point to any error in this thread because as i pointed out multiple times it is comon
knowledge that main = horizontal, because it was the first, to which you wrongly claimed
"few people would call the horizontal bar the main one" so I pointed out that even the creator
calls it main button bar. I dont understand why that is so hard to grasp for you.
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

Directly above the toolbar we have a menu, main menu. It is always MAIN, regardless of which menu file or language is used, regardless of whether it is used permanently or temporarily. The same principle applies to the toolbar.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Sir_SiLvA wrote: ↑2023-06-16, 11:46 UTCYou could complain in your casuistry way that Openbar only loads the vertical bar when its written in it which you didnt do either.
Do you see "Openbar" in the title and description? The rest, I hope, only see "OPENBAR1", oddly enough.
Casuistry so far comes only from you, and now catch the argument from lng, which crosses out all your early theses and emoticons:
141="Do you want to make this button bar the new main button bar? (The main button bar is loaded when Totalcmd is started.)"
=
141="MΓΆchten Sie diesen Buttonbar permanent festlegen?\nEr wird dann bei jedem Start von Total Commander geladen."

Sir_SiLvA wrote: ↑2023-06-16, 11:46 UTCThere are only those 3 and as everyone of those 3 is different it would not be helpful to write "OPENBAR(x)" in the documentation.
Here I completely agree. It's just not clear why you referenced the wiki with these parentheses.
Sir_SiLvA wrote: ↑2023-06-16, 11:46 UTCYou yet failed to point to any error in this thread because as i pointed out multiple times it is comon
knowledge that main = horizontal, because it was the first, to which you wrongly claimed
Precisely because it was the first, it is not the main one. It's just illogical.
Your point of view, judging 141=..., is erroneous. And I pointed out just the inconsistency and ambiguity, although you do not see it point-blank.
Sir_SiLvA wrote: ↑2023-06-16, 11:46 UTCI dont understand why that is so hard to grasp for you.
You're fixated on habits, not wanting to think logically.
In addition to lng, I can help you with logic by asking a leading question:
Which of the two types of panels should be the main one at startup, if either of them can be either hidden or shown? πŸ™ƒ
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Fla$her wrote: ↑2023-06-16, 12:28 UTC
Sir_SiLvA wrote: ↑2023-06-16, 11:46 UTCYou could complain in your casuistry way that Openbar only loads the vertical bar when its written in it which you didnt do either.
Do you see "Openbar" in the title and description? The rest, I hope, only see "OPENBAR1", oddly enough.
There is nothing wrong with the description of OPENBAR1 and thats why I brought up OPENBAR which is the only
thing you could complain in your casuistry way.
Sir_SiLvA wrote: ↑2023-06-16, 11:46 UTCThere are only those 3 and as everyone of those 3 is different it would not be helpful to write "OPENBAR(x)" in the documentation.
Here I completely agree. It's just not clear why you referenced the wiki with these parentheses.
Sorry cant help with your personal flaws regarding written words. :D
Sir_SiLvA wrote: ↑2023-06-16, 11:46 UTCYou yet failed to point to any error in this thread because as i pointed out multiple times it is comon knowledge that main = horizontal, because it was the first, to which you wrongly claimed
Precisely because it was the first, it is not the main one. It's just illogical.
Your understanding of language is flawed and without illogical: main = the first = the horizontal menu bar.
Next you gonna complain why the main menu (which can be hidden contrary to the popup menu) is NOT called top menu... ? :D
Fla$her wrote: ↑2023-06-16, 12:28 UTC In addition to lng, I can help you with logic by asking a leading question:
Obviously you cant :lol:
Fla$her wrote: ↑2023-06-16, 12:28 UTC Which of the two types of panels should be the main one at startup, if either of them can be either hidden or shown? πŸ™ƒ
QED.
Hoecker sie sind raus!