[TC 11.00b8 Dark mode] Multi-Rename Tool borders don't look right

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [TC 11.00b8 Dark mode] Multi-Rename Tool borders don't look right

Post by *AntonyD »

In my opinion the behavior of 32-bit TC makes more sense to me.
But why? The overall logic of ANY header of any column in any listview - is to provide for user MOST comprehensive representation of any info which is held inside the cells. Which means that in case when there is NO MORE places for proper reading of values inside the cell - the resizing of columns, like you did in your gif, should add this place and do the desirable trick. So if in `Location` column we have rather long path to the file and I can't easily to read it - I should be able to enlarge the Location column (ONLY it!!!) as much as it possible in order to achieve my goal. And HOW i can do that in your case - with using approach which is done at 32-bit TC??? Here I can ONLY move the overall border which IS NOT a right action - because I want to change ONLY the one header's width! And for example, this action can be performed as you did in the test: "...I can drag the separator out of view..."
#146217 personal license
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

AntonyD wrote: 2023-06-25, 18:01 UTC So if in `Location` column we have rather long path to the file and I can't easily to read it - I should be able to enlarge the Location column (ONLY it!!!) as much as it possible in order to achieve my goal.
I fail to see how enlarging the column outside the visible area helps you. You won't be able to see the part outside the visible area.
(BTW, overusing capitals and overpunctuation makes your text harder to read and doesn't make your arguments better.)
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

I fail to see
Me too.
Suddenly I understood that Mr.Ghisler did nothing literally in order to achieve better viewing position of all columns values.
Even simple double click on headers separator does not call auto-width correction process for column with its content.
And for a loooong listview content (in horizontal direction) - at the bottom there is even no scrollbar!

It seems that the functionality of the file panels was simply reused here at the minimum.
There is nothing like that - and there will not be? - like how the user does not need to see anything he needs to see in a convenient form ...
"A chic" solution... It turns out that I got off with a little blood when I used this tool - that I did not come across such inconvenient names and paths that they did not fit. But obviously many other people have a need to work with this tool on files that have, well, very long names and very deep nesting of directories. And how do they look at all this in such a window cut off in terms of functionality?
Spoiler
(BTW, overusing capitals and overpunctuation makes your text harder to read and doesn't make your arguments better.)
It's not the purpose of making the arguments better or worse - it's to highlight the emphasis in the whole phrase.
An analogue of human voice interaction. Just as if you saw an Italians and Greeks - actively gesturing with they hands during a conversation. It's just their style/nature of communication. Just accept it please, that's all.
#146217 personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

At least I can drag the separator out of view so it looks all right :)
Sorry, I didn't try hard enough finding the separator, all I managed to resize was the window itself. But I can see it now. I will just make the last section 10 pixels longer than the available space, this also solves the problem with the separator.

I also found a solution for the status panel at the bottom: I just hide the border completely while in dark mode.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

I will just make the last section 10 pixels longer than the available space
If I translated it correctly and understood the current state of affairs, it turns out that nothing actually useful will come out as a result of applying this fix? I.e. all those inconveniences I described above - they will remain? Only now and also in the 64-bit Total will not be able to grab the right border and increase the size of the column 'Location' with the mouse?
And the scroll bar will not appear at the bottom, because I will actually be forbidden to increase the width of the columns separately so that all the text fit into them completely visually = after all, if I can not grab and drag the rightmost border of the column headers (which belongs to the latest column 'Location'), then the whole size of the list in theory will be impossible to increase more than the borders of the dialog itself allow...
#146217 personal license
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

AntonyD wrote: 2023-06-26, 14:26 UTC And the scroll bar will not appear at the bottom, because I will actually be forbidden to increase the width of the columns separately so that all the text fit into them completely visually
Yes, that is how it is currently implemented, isn't it? Both in Multi-Rename Tool and in the main window. What you are suggesting is a different concept, if you prefer a different concept I suggest you make a suggestion for that.
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

I do not quite understand - why THIS "scketch-up" is called "the current concept", and is not recognized as an erroneous code that will need to be quickly corrected? Yes, I have not come across very long names while working with this tool. But that's just my situation (And yes - that's why I did not complain about this behavior in some thread of the original bug for version 9/10 of Total). And in the general theory of this dialog, there should obviously be support for EASY visibility of all components in the cells of their respective columns. And this, as it turns out, is simply not the case. simply no. Although it should have been. Otherwise, it is not clear - but HOW should I provide myself with full visibility of all values ​​in all cells of all columns? Full and easy visibility! How is it implemented in Excel? And main window ;)))

In the main window, I already had to switch to custom columns in order to both get horizontal scrolling and to see the necessary fields in a width. And there IS support for quick double-clicking on a column separator to get auto-resizing the column to fit the content. Those Now here I can get what I want. And it turns out that in MRT it still can't be done???
#146217 personal license
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

AntonyD wrote: 2023-06-26, 16:25 UTC I do not quite understand - why THIS "scketch-up" is called "the current concept", and is not recognized as an erroneous code that will need to be quickly corrected?
I think it's working as designed. If you want something different, I feel that is outside the scope of this thread and it is better to create a new thread for that. Whether to call the current design a bug or a feature, I think is not important.
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

Aha, ok, I see your point.
#146217 personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

There will not be a scrollbar in the preview, sorry.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

HISTORY.TXT wrote:26.06.23 Fixed: Multi-rename tool, dark mode: moved right separator of directory column out of the visible area (64)
26.06.23 Fixed: Multi-rename tool, dark mode: Removed border around bottom panel while in dark mode (32/64)
Tested OK using TC 11.00b9.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

Moderator message from: white » 2023-06-28, 16:50 UTC

Moved to Fixed bugs.