PDF files won't open from either Total Commander or Windows Explorer

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

richardw

PDF files won't open from either Total Commander or Windows Explorer

Post by *richardw »

Hello,

Abbreviations used in this post: TC - Total Commander WE - Windows Explorer PDF's - Adobe Acrobat .PDF files

Like the title says - sometimes I cannot open PDF's from either WE or TC. Sometimes I can open PDF's from WE, but not TC.

I've noticed that if, after booting up, the first PDF I open is from WE, then I can continue opening them from WE, and (usually? sometimes?), from TC, too.

BUT, if the first PDF I try to open, after booting, is from TC, then it won't open, and after that, if I try to open a PDF from WE, then it won't open there, either.

I find it confusing. I think there might be some combination of having both programs in memory, or opening one of them before the other, that either screws things up for one or both, or allows one or both to work, but it's complicated, and I haven't been able to find a pattern yet.

I searched the forum, and there are threads about PDF's not opening, but none exactly like my situatation. One mentioned a 'Sandbox' setting in Acrobat/Edit/Preferences/Security(Enhanced). I looked in the Security(Enhanced) settings, but there is no Sandbox setting in the version I'm using.

Does anyone have any answers? Is it a configuration issue, a bug in TC or Windows, or...?

Thanks,
Richard Whitehouse, registered user # 12763
Registered Total Commander user (and loyal supporter) since 1997
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Re: PDF files won't open from either Total Commander or Windows Explorer

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

This is clearly a Windows Bug so no idea why you post this on a TC forum :?:

To fix it try this:
petermad wrote: Right click on a pdf file.
Choose "Open With"
Choose "Choose another app"
Select your PDF App - if it is not on the list - use the "More apps" to browse for your PDF App
Check the box "Always use this app to open .xxx files" IMPORTANT :!:

You can also use TC's Internal associations - and bypass Window's crappy association scheme.
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2richardw
Do you run TC as administrator? Then the mentioned security setting in Adobe Reader (if you use that) is relevant; other readers could have similar settings. It's possible that Adobe moved the setting somewhere else in the Reader's configuration. Since I don't use (a current version of) Adobe Reader I don't know where that setting is.

Regards
Dalai
Last edited by Dalai on 2023-06-26, 22:28 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
richardw

Post by *richardw »

Not sure why you think it is "clearly a Windows bug". It may be, but I'm not sure I'd make that assumption.

The problem is not that I'm trying to open the PDF in TC with something other than Adobe Acrobat - I am. And I know about the "Open With" feature. The problem is that the PDF does not open (sometimes) from TC. It always used to work, now it doesn't (sometimes)

I was hoping that the Total Commander Forum, being populated with knowledgeable, friendly, helpful computer experts, would have someone that either experienced the same problem as me, or knew the answer.

I've been out of the software maintenance field for many years now, so my knowledge is not up-to-date.

Richard

Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2023-06-26, 11:25 UTC This is clearly a Windows Bug so no idea why you post this on a TC forum :?:

To fix it try this:
Choose "Open With"
Select your PDF App - if it is not on the list - use the "More apps" to browse for your PDF App

You can also use TC's Internal associations - and bypass Window's crappy association scheme.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

richardw wrote: 2023-06-26, 22:20 UTC Not sure why you think it is "clearly a Windows bug". It may be, but I'm not sure I'd make that assumption.
Because it IS.
richardw wrote: 2023-06-26, 22:20 UTC I was hoping that the Total Commander Forum, being populated with knowledgeable, friendly, helpful computer experts, would have someone that either experienced the same problem as me, or knew the answer.
We cant help you if you dont even try we post to help you:
Choose "Open With"

richardw wrote: 2023-06-26, 22:20 UTC I've been out of the software maintenance field for many years now, so my knowledge is not up-to-date.
Its a bug that was implemented by maxihard for "security reasons"....
Hoecker sie sind raus!
richardw

Post by *richardw »

Sir_Sylva:

I did try the suggestion, and it made no difference, because I was already trying to open the PDF with Adobe Acrobat (from with TC).
richardw

Post by *richardw »

Dalai wrote: 2023-06-26, 12:27 UTC 2richardw
Do you run TC as administrator? Then the mentioned security setting in Adobe Reader (if you use that) is relevant; other readers could have similar settings. It's possible that Adobe moved the setting somewhere else in the Reader's configuration. Since I don't use (a current version of) Adobe Reader I don't know where that setting is.
Regards Dalai
Dalai - yes, I was running TC as administrator, so I tried running TC NOT as Administrator, and this seems to have solved the problem, although I'm not sure why.
I checked again in Adobe Acrobat Reader, and I found the Sandbox settings section, which I had missed before. But, the Sandbox feature was not activated, so I'm not sure that made any difference.

I'm going to keep testing this, and see what happens... Thanks for the suggestion.

Richard
richardw

Post by *richardw »

Sir_Sylva:

So far, I don't understand what you're getting at, but I'd like to.

1) you mentioned a fix which I should try, and you quoted PeterMad. I should first mention that the program I'm using to view PDF files is Adobe Acrobat Viewer, Version 2023.003.20215 64-bit (the current version). The quote from Petermad suggests that to fix the problem, I should right-click a PDF file, then use Open With etc. In my case, when I right-click a PDF file, the first item on the list is Adobe Acrobat DC (Adobe Acrobat Reader). It seems to me that in my case, opening a PDF file this way is equivalent to double-left-clicking it. Is there some nuance to this that I am not seeing?

2) you said I'm experiencing a Microsoft bug implemented for "security reasons". What bug is that, and is there a fix or a work-around?

Richard
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

It seems to me that in my case, opening a PDF file this way is equivalent to double-left-clicking it. Is there some nuance to this that I am not seeing?
it is the part:
petermad wrote:Check the box "Always use this app to open .xxx files" IMPORTANT
It forces a re-association that can often fix things.

Apart form that it is known that opening files in Adobe can often fail if you are running TC as administrator, IIRC especially if Adobe is already opened from another place than within TC. This can supposedly be fixed by changing some security settings in Adobe Viewer's setup.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
richardw

Post by *richardw »

Thanks, petermad

I'll try the "Always use this app to open .xxx files" thing.

I was running TC as Administrator, and I've changed that so that I'm NOT running it as Administrator. This has solved my problem, I think. But I'd like to put it back to Administrator, and try the "Always use this app to open .xxx files" thing under those conditions, and see if it works. If not, I'll go back to NOT running TC as Administrator (by default, that is. I can always run it as Admin if I need to).

richardw
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Otherwise have you tried using TCs internal Associations? (they will be used before using windows ones)

In WinCmd.Ini under [Associations] put

Code: Select all

Filter1=*.pdf
Filter1_open=<path\to\some\crappy\adobe\software\acrobat.exe> "%1"
Filter1.icon=<path\to\some\crappy\adobe\software\acrobat.exe>
- If you already use filters you have to replace 1 by another number
- You have to replace <path\to\some\crappy\adobe\software\acrobat.exe> with your own path ofc
- You can leave out Filter1.icon=... if you like the default pdf icon or give it the icon from sumtrapdf/word/chrome/whatever you like
Hoecker sie sind raus!
richardw

Post by *richardw »

Thanks, Sir_Silva

I like that suggestion - I will enjoy trying that. I didn't know about TC's internal associations, so I've learned something new.
I see you're not a big fan of Adobe, ha, ha :D

Richard
Impeeza

Post by *Impeeza »

Hello there, after almost 4 years with this problem I found the solution, Adobe Acrobat by default if is executed as administrator it put on a isolated mode, and if is invoked by another program on administrator mode, doesn't even shown any dialog on screen but the process kept on background.

The solution is simple but involve lower the default security of Adobe Acrobat.

Start Adobe Acrobat from Start Menu, then go to "Edit" -> "Preferences"

Then on the left list of items select "Security (Enhanced)" On right dialog, remove the tick of the option "Enable Protected Mode at startup", and for the "Protected View" select "off" radio button option.

Close Adobe Acrobat and now from Total Commander on Admin mode you can double click or press enter over a PDF File and the Adobe will be Shown normally.

The solution was taken from: https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader-discussions/acrobat-reader-dc-won-t-launch/m-p/11580319

on that post they use the registry to directly edit the value.
Impeeza jaja