Lost checkmark and got disabled status for checkbox in Search form

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Lost checkmark and got disabled status for checkbox in Search form

Post by *AntonyD »

HI!
Open any folder with any content. Select some listed there folders and call Standalone Search dialog (cm_SearchStandalone).
And you will see something similar: https://ibb.co/bWST7KS
Pay attention of checkbox "Only search...." So far - all is fine and correct.
And now on ANY focus changes - like even simplest LMclick on a Windows TaskBar - this standalone Search dialog will be slightly changed:
https://ibb.co/kGXRC20
As you see checkbox "Only search...." become disabled and turned off!
And on the contrary, field "Search in" will become suddenly available! And the two buttons following this field will also become available!
Last edited by AntonyD on 2023-06-30, 11:22 UTC, edited 3 times in total.
#146217 personal license
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Lost checkmark and got disabled status for checkbox in Search form

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Confirmed
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1373a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Confirmed, but I think it is by design, because with the Standalone Search you can focus TC and change the selection before searching, but the selection is recorded at opening of the Search dialog.

cm_SearchStandalone was introduced with TC 8.50, but it wasn't until TC 9.00 that Standalone Search supported the "Only search in selected directories/files" was supported - prior to TC 9.00 the option is always disabled.
history.txt wrote:22.02.15 Added: Standalone search: Allow to search in search results (after feed to listbox) and selected files. Option is disabled when user changes focus away from search (32/64)

If you run a separate Search via the command line by using the /S=F parameter the "Only search in selected directories/files" is always disabled.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

To be honest, neither the logic nor the lack of any improvements is clear.
This external search is needed simply so that this lengthy procedure can be done regardless of my actions in Total. Yes, there is something you can do even with those files / folders that I selected. BUT! I can do this action and NOT ONLY in Total itself. And now what? Maybe then it's worth blocking all file activity on the disk while the search is in progress?
And why should changing the focus affect the availability of the option? I even accidentally can just make this extra click and .. and that's it?
Highlight what I need again, call up the search dialog again, and take care of my movements? In order not to click anything in any case?
#146217 personal license
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

AntonyD wrote: 2023-06-30, 15:26 UTC...search is needed simply so that this lengthy procedure can be done regardless of my actions in Total.
Did you set OnlyOnce=n (where n is not equal to 0)? Otherwise you can simply call another instance of Tc...

HTH

Joube
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

AntonyD wrote: 2023-06-30, 15:26 UTC To be honest, neither the logic nor the lack of any improvements is clear.
This external search is needed simply so that this lengthy procedure can be done regardless of my actions in Total. Yes, there is something you can do even with those files / folders that I selected. BUT! I can do this action and NOT ONLY in Total itself. And now what? Maybe then it's worth blocking all file activity on the disk while the search is in progress?
And why should changing the focus affect the availability of the option? I even accidentally can just make this extra click and .. and that's it?
Highlight what I need again, call up the search dialog again, and take care of my movements? In order not to click anything in any case?
If you ask if this is your fault: Yes IT IS. Why call the search and not use it but switch to some other program?
Hoecker sie sind raus!
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

2JOUBE
Did you set OnlyOnce=n (where n is not equal to 0)? Otherwise you can simply call another instance of Tc...
which will hold the same rows of my many-many tabs - which is NOT my current expectation - in such "a one-shot case" another instance should be opened only with those paths on the target and source panels (and in single-tab form on each panel) that were active at the time of this "call another instance of...".
This will not happen. But yes, probably This one can be customized. BUT why do I really need another Total - if I solved my problems by calling the search procedure in a separate process? I just need to just switch to the Total window hanging in the background and do the necessary manipulations there ... And then return to the search form and .... and be surprised by the current injected focus change processing logic ...

2Sir_SiLvA
Why call the search and not use it but switch to some other program?
Ok, let's try again - I know: the search will definitely be long, while I know exactly WHAT and HOW I should do BEFORE I see the search results. I switch to Total - I do what I need - I return to the search form, see the results, process them. Then again I understand that I need the same iteration of the search / "background actions in Total" - only I need to change the search criteria, so I return to this !not-closed yet! the search form, coz there ALREADY i HAVE all the states of the needed search options .... and it turns out that it is not. This setting state no longer exists in a full form! Total suddenly forgot - WHERE it was looking for last time, and even manually I can’t fix it right here and now somehow.
And then I just close this "broken" form and IMMEDIATELY reopen it - and painfully reproduce all the search criteria...
As they say - manual labor made a man out of a monkey. Well, it means that this monkey work will mold someone smart out of me))))
#146217 personal license
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

I fully agree with AntonyD.
There is no logical reason why simple clicks outside the search form change the search options.
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

AntonyD wrote: I know: the search will definitely be long, while I know exactly WHAT and HOW I should do BEFORE I see the search results. I switch to Total - I do what I need - I return to the search form, see the results, process them.
If the search has been started (or has finished) then the option "Only search in selected directories/files" is NOT reset on focus loss.
Last edited by petermad on 2023-07-01, 10:08 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

petermad wrote: 2023-07-01, 08:11 UTC
I know: the search will definitely be long, while I know exactly WHAT and HOW I should do BEFORE I see the search results. I switch to Total - I do what I need - I return to the search form, see the results, process them.
If the search has been started (or has finished) then the option "Only search in selected directories/files" is NOT reset on focus loss.
But the discussion begun when the search was not yet started.
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Horst.Epp wrote: 2023-07-01, 08:41 UTC But the discussion begun when the search was not yet started.
I read AntonyD's remark as: he has already started the search, realizes that it will be long, and go back to TC to do other stuff.
License #524 (1994)
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

2petermad
It was just a clue to understand why it is possible in principle to make a search as the separate process.
And the essence of the bug is specified exactly - yes, the search has not yet started, but I prepared everything -
and then suddenly a random click outside the "Start Search" button resets the settings made?
#146217 personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

There is no logical reason why simple clicks outside the search form change the search options.
There is: The user could go back to TC and change the selection, then return to the separate search and wonder why his new selection isn't taken into account! That's why the option gets disabled.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

2ghisler(Author)
Do we really believe that the user is doing something useful without thinking about the consequences?
And how many people do you know who do what you described and think the same way?
Maybe then you should do the opposite? Think about users? And let's Total keep track of their current actions in the file panels. So that at the right time TOTAL himself can change its internal list of selected files / directories by the user before he/she clicks the "Start search" button? Why put him in a stupid position - when he remembers / knows for sure that he did the necessary manipulations to start the search, and then suddenly - bam! - and the settings have changed! Do you think that in the help - especially - if it is a help translated into another language - there will definitely be a clarification on this?
#146217 personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Do we really believe that the user is doing something useful without thinking about the consequences?
Yes.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com