[11.00b] No initially selected element in history when at the top/bottom

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

[11.00b] No initially selected element in history when at the top/bottom

Post by *Flint »

1. Configure the history option "Scroll list" to "at the top", or "at the bottom", or any other combination that will lead to the same result (e.g., "at the last visited folder" with "Show last visited folders closer to the middle" option unchecked).
2. Press Alt+down to show the history list.
3. No element is selected by default.

Strictly speaking, this is not a bug, as nothing requires a menu to appear with any item pre-selected. However, it would be more logical to have the item, mentioned in the option, be chosen by default.
Reasons for that:
a) it's simply more intuitive if you see the selected item at once; without it one may have the impression that maybe the selected item is there, but simply not visible (e.g. beyond the scroll viewport).
b) it's more consistent, because when you choose, for example, "at the last visited folder", then it'll be pre-selected when "Show last visited folders closer to the middle" is on, and non-pre-selected, if that second option is off.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [11.00b] No initially selected element in history when at the top/bottom

Post by *petermad »

I think this is basically what I reported here: https://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=433323#p433323
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Yes, it is. I tried searching, but apparently, I didn't manage to get the right search words together.

Pity that it was declined. I'm not satisfied with the explanation at all, it seems to me the argument was applied to one scenario, but completely ignored for another scenario, even though it's still valid there… :(
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

I would not expect to have anything selected just by opening such a list.
You personally may prefer this, but I guess that may not be the majority.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1373a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2Horst.Epp
Don't guess, speak for yourself, please.
For me all lists (MRT, Find files, Drive list, Tab list, History list) should look like a file pane list and use TC colors. Currently only Drive list use TC colors, other ones in normal mode use default TC colors. What is more, Tab list and History list work like a menu, not like a file/directory list. Icons are also inconsistent.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is intentional.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Usher wrote: 2023-07-01, 21:39 UTC 2Horst.Epp
Don't guess, speak for yourself, please.
For me all lists (MRT, Find files, Drive list, Tab list, History list) should look like a file pane list and use TC colors. Currently only Drive list use TC colors, other ones in normal mode use default TC colors. What is more, Tab list and History list work like a menu, not like a file/directory list. Icons are also inconsistent.
Now, you are talking about colors and icons, but the topic is about a default selection.
There is no logical point why any entry should be preselected, whatever you say.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1373a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

2Horst.Epp
There's a difference between "there is no point" and "I don't see any point for myself". A few people have already posted their views on that, and provided their reasons and explanations on how and why that could be beneficial. If they are not your scenarios, that's fine, but please, don't diminish other people's needs just because they are not identical to your own needs. It's not nice.

Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

Horst.Epp wrote: 2023-07-02, 13:05 UTC but the topic is about a default selection.
Read more carefully, please.
I have mentioned Drive list, which looks almost like a File list. When you see the whole drive list, the current drive is SELECTED, not just marked with almost invisible arrow.

On the contrary, neither active tab nor current directory are selected on their lists. Tab list and History list are usually larger then Drive list and may be as large as file lists but they don't work and look in a similar way. It's highly illogical, capltain Kirk.
Horst.Epp wrote: 2023-07-02, 13:05 UTCThere is no logical point
Once again - speak for yourself and read more carefully, please.
I'd like to work with new lists in a similar way as with File lists. You want to use those lists as menus. It's another logic.

Note that for History list there already exist settings for icons and fonts similar to File list settings.
So why not just use other File list settings for all mentioned lists: Drive list, Tab List and History list?
Why not allow two background colors?
Why not provide directory icons set in desktop.ini? Without those icons History list is even more unreadable, which forces using Search feature although you may just stare at the needed directory. However, Drive list and tab list show proper icons.

Why, why, why... And the answer is still illogical "Just because..."
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator