[implemented in Tc11rc2] Sync-Tool: Keep the number of read directories (on screen)

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

[implemented in Tc11rc2] Sync-Tool: Keep the number of read directories (on screen)

Post by *JOUBE »

Sync-Tool: Keep the number of read directories on screen simply as a number.

Keep this number in the emty area between the buttons [duplicates]/[singles] and then buttons [Synchronize]/[Close] on Sceen. Simply as a Number without any text. This is for info purposes to estimate how long a re-comparison will take approximately (and if 4,5,6 digits how long you can do something else, for example go and drink a coffee.)

Again: only as a number...

Joube
Last edited by JOUBE on 2023-07-21, 06:33 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
oko

Re: Sync-Tool: Keep the number of read directories on screen

Post by *oko »

What about counting files instead of folders during reading? Files are object of synchronizing, number of files are shown in footer after reading, so the number of files should be counted in footer during reading. It could be better to guess the time for re-reading.

For re-reading there could be mesurement % estimated in footer based on previous number counted (if no changes in pathes in sync dir list were made before re-reading of course). E.g. in footer would be shown during reading:
"Reading...150 files found (20% of estimated 2567 found files total based on previous count)"
(number 150 and 20% are counting up, number 2567 is steady number of files kept from previous reading)
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

I'm looking for a solution that can now be implemented as easily as possible just in Tc11. That would make things a lot more comfortable. Then can be talked about everything else.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

TC 11.00rc1 now shows the number of the currently shown directory and the total number of directories in top to the right of the "Show" buttons.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

petermad wrote: 2023-07-12, 13:46 UTC TC 11.00rc1 now shows the number of the currently shown directory and the total number of directories in top to the right of the "Show" buttons.
Yes, there is indeed something there, but that is not what I mean and need. I don't need the number of Foldern left and right after the run had finished, I just need only the number that disappears when the comparison is done. The run up number on the bottom left. For further questions, please do not hesitate to ask me.

Joube
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I don't need the number of Foldern left and right after the run had finished
it is not showing the folders left and right it is showing the number of the currently shown folder and after the / the total number of folders, which is the number you want.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

petermad wrote: 2023-07-13, 00:32 UTC
I don't need the number of Foldern left and right after the run had finished
it is not showing the folders left and right it is showing the number of the currently shown folder and after the / the total number of folders, which is the number you want.
No, I don't want those numbers (whatever the numbers mean, I don't care): I want the one number that appears on the bottom left during the run and disappears when the run is over. Incidentally, this number has little to do with the actual number of directories, but is simply an incrementer. (But very useful for a time estimation and nothing else)

An example: it is counted up to 3850 and disappears in the moment the run is over. This number is to be displayed later at the top and keep on then screen. But ghisler(author) now shows other numbers: it is displayed: 1122/1448. But what I want to see is 3850.

Please use at least this size 3850 when testing (definitely over the network, if possible even a mapped drive in the slow WAN).

And - please - don't tell me what number I want to see.

Maybe I could describe it better now. I want to keep the incrementer on the screen after the run is finished: the number on the bottom left, which unfortunately disappears when the run ends. This number has nothing (or only little) to do with the real number of directories, but is simply an incrementer so that you can see how and how fast the TC is currently working.

I suspect that others always test it with structures that are much too small and also with both sides on one computer: That does not result in realistic conditions in this case.

Joube

Why am I trying so hard to explain now? Because it would be of great, great use to me...
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

2JOUBE
To begin with, let's say that these newly added elements are actually very convenient and useful.
So let's say thank you for listening and implementing them to Mr.Ghisler. :D :!:

But about one number! Still not very clear. At the bottom left, it seems to be simply written - how many objects have been found for comparison.
And with parentheses, their division by type is specified.
And if we take your example, where you use the number 3850, then HOW can we use such single number even for a very correct and useful purpose of realizing the tool's speed? Is there any OTHER counter somewhere else that can somehow correlate with this number and somehow shows its values from 0 to this number in a stretched timeline which indeed should be "(very useful for a time estimation and nothing else)"?
Last edited by AntonyD on 2023-07-13, 09:10 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
#146217 personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

An example: it is counted up to 3850 and disappears in the moment the run is over. This number is to be displayed later at the top and keep on then screen. But ghisler(author) now shows other numbers: it is displayed: 1122/1448. But what I want to see is 3850.
For what purpose? It makes no sense at all.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-07-13, 08:58 UTC
For what purpose? It makes no sense at all.
For the time estimate. It's very useful to me and doesn't bother anyone or take any work to implement. It can simply be displayed as a number at the top above the two new lines.

It may not seem useful to you, or even pointless, but nobody bothers and for me it's very useful.

I asked for it.

joube
oko

Post by *oko »

1/ When reading - number of directories read is shown. The number is incrementing during reading. But after finish of reading the number (number of directories found) is nowhere shown, only number of files found is shown in footer. As I understand, JOUBE probably wants to keep showing this number (total number of directories found) for next case of re-reading, becouse when re-reading there is number of directories read increased again from 1 and there is not shown number of directories that are going to be read total, which is known from previous reading.
2/ during reading there is shown number of folders found, but after finish reading there is shown number of files found. So it is hard to use this not comparable numbers in prediction of next re-reading. Therefore I suggest to show number of files not directories (or both) while counting and during re-reading there could be estimation of process done based on total number from previous reading of the same session.
3/ the implementing of path and numbers in top of sync dir list is good thing, but it shows number of folders with different names on left and right, that mean if folders in left and right is equal in name, there are counted only once not as two folders. In fact it is two folders (one left, one right). Probably therefore not good for JOUBE.
Last edited by oko on 2023-07-13, 11:33 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

AntonyD wrote: 2023-07-13, 08:06 UTC 2JOUBE
To begin with, let's say that these newly added elements are actually very convenient and useful.
So let's say thank you for listening and implementing them to Mr.Ghisler. :D :!:
2AntonyD
There are other channels too. You don't have to know anything.

Joube
Last edited by JOUBE on 2023-07-13, 11:40 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

oko wrote: 2023-07-13, 11:18 UTC 1/ When reading - number of directories read is shown. The number is incrementing during reading. But after finish of reading the number (number of directories found) is nowhere shown, only number of files found is shown in footer. As I understand, JOUBE probably wants to keep showing this number (total number of directories found) for next case of re-reading, becouse when re-reading there is number of directories read increased again from 1 and there is not shown number of directories that are going to be read total, which is known from previous reading.
2/ during reading there is shown folders found, but after finish reading there are shown number of files found. So it is hard to use this not comparable numbers in prediction of next re-reading.
Yes, Thanks
oko wrote: 2023-07-13, 11:18 UTC Therefore I suggest to show number of files not directories while counting and during re-reading there could be estimation of process done based on total number from previous reading of the same session.
No, I prefer no change here
oko wrote: 2023-07-13, 11:18 UTC 3/ the implementing of path and numbers in top of sync dir list is good thing, but it shows number of folders with different names on left and right, that mean if folders in left and right is equal in name, there are counted only once not as two folders. In fact it is two folders (one left, one right). Probably therefore not good for JOUBE.
I don't care. It can stay that way _if_ the desired number is displayed above it.

Joube
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

If the author inserts this number, then probably it will be necessary to add explanations everywhere - why is it and how to use it?
Is it reasonable? And what explanation would be appropriate here?
"A number has been added to the panel indicating the total number of folders found and participating in the synchronization procedure"
So what? Well, OK. a number is a number - but how can other users use it? I still don’t understand how the fact of the value of this number helps to make some kind of value judgments about the time spent on sync.processing.

Well, let's take a real example - there is a directory with 3 directories with ~1500 files in each. And another directory with 2 subdirectories with 4 files each. And now the number (3 + 2) = 5 directories will be indicated. OK. And the files with which the real synchronization work will be carried out: ((3*1500)+(2*4))=4508! Well, by what number 5 or 4508 can I more easily navigate the time spent? Which number indicates a longer processing time?
#146217 personal license
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

AntonyD wrote: 2023-07-13, 12:04 UTC If the author inserts this number, then probably it will be necessary to add explanations everywhere - why is it
No, because everyone who uses Sync-Tool, knows this counter. True! And will appreciate it being shown. But that's nothing for hobby users and 'small' users.
AntonyD wrote: 2023-07-13, 12:04 UTC and how to use it?
Use? What do you mean?