Non-modal search window

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Non-modal search window

Yes
91%
No
9%

Total votes: 140

mnerec

Non-modal search window

Post by *mnerec »

When you set TC to do an extensive search, you cannot continue
working as the windows is modal.

For this reason I use several instances of TC, whick kinda work
against the whole tabbed panes feature set.

What about making it run in a seperate thread, non-modal?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I'm sorry but this is technically impossible. Most unpackers like the external unrar.dll do not work correctly or even crash when called multiple times, e.g. for unpacking and searching at the same time. The same is true e.g. for plugins.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
mnerec

Post by *mnerec »

I'm sorry for sounding silly, or even a bit dumb,but what does the unpacker have to do with searching for files?

As far as I noticed you cannot search for filenames inside a RAR file with the search.

What part of the search is the problem? You can copy files in the background, why is scanning for filenames not possible, or for that matter strings inside binary files?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Of course you can search for file names and even for text inside of archives - just check the option "search archives"...
mnerec

Post by *mnerec »

Fair enough, I missed that option :-)

Your search dialog is SOO much faster than the one in windows, and this is one of the reasons that TC is the first program put onto my personal computers.

But when searching my companys server for "that particlular source file", I really regret having to open another TC for, for what seems to me, a simple task.

Maybe searching in archives and/or plugins could be disabled if the window is not modal? These are not features I've ever used, let alone noticed.

That way everyone would be satisfied ;-)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
IIRC you never responded to the idea that you could make the window modeless when searching in archives is not enabled.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

One of the MOST WANTED features!
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Another approach could be to "queue" unpacking operations, so for instance when you search in archives and a RAR is being searched and the user wants to open another RAR in the main window, a message could pop up saying, "Another archive of this type already opened by the search operation, please wait..."

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2Hacker
I like the idea! It is really rare when i open a rar, which i just search. Besides, i only use the internal zip ;-)
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

I have written down my thoughts about that here:
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=45498#45498
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2Lefteous
And I agreed there too! ;-)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

IIRC you never responded to the idea that you could make the window modeless when searching in archives is not enabled.
This would be possible, but would cause even more support e-mails, like "the search archives functions cannot be checked" when users switch to and back to the search function...
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

ghisler(Author)
This would be possible, but would cause even more support e-mails, like "the search archives functions cannot be checked" when users switch to and back to the search function...
This could be implemented as a "hidden" option, turned off by default. To enable it the user will need to write a particular key in wincmd.ini - and in the description of this key (in the help file) there would be a BOLD warning. :)
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

ghisler(Author) wrote:
I think you misunderstood. The search window would become modeless after the search is invoked and only if search in archives is disabled. So the modality would depend on the search in archives checkbox, not the other way round.

And what do you think about my other proposal?

Roman
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately this would require a major redesign of all the various unpacking functions. One alternative would be to start the search in a separate program instance (launch a hidden TC with just the search window), but then "feed to listbox" would no longer be possible.