Trouble with "Synchronize directories" in FTP connection

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

lares

Trouble with "Synchronize directories" in FTP connection

Post by *lares »

Hi!

I use comparing directories between my hard drive and a FTP server location very often.

Until I upgraded to Version 11 of TC, the comparison with subfolders was working as expected - every change in any of the directories and subdirectories was shown.

After the upgrade I noticed, that the state after logging in to the FTP server is compared correctly, but the subsequent changes at the server side (other users uploaded, as I'm logged in) will not be discovered and not shown...

If I go to the changed directory on the FTP server manually and do a CTRL+R, the new files will show up, and then it will be shown in the comparison (but not any other changes, if uploaded).

To make a complete new comparison I have now to log out of the FPT server, log in again and after that it will show all differences - until something changes on the FTP - this changes will not be shown in the comparison until I log out and in again...

The server software on the other side is "NASFTPD Turbo station 1.3.6 Server (ProFTPD)".
I use Windows 7 home premium 64bit.

Mat
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Trouble with "Synchronize directoeirs" in FTP connection

Post by *Horst.Epp »

There were never any automatic updates in the background
while a synchronize dirs is open.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1373a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
lares

Post by *lares »

What do you mean by "automatic updates"?

I do not mean any "automagic" ;)

I use this functionality for many years. It changed after update to V11.

I mean, after clicking the "Compare" button again, I do not get any changes displayed, where there were changes, new uploads, done on the server by another users in the meantime.

To see this changes, I have to:
1. go to the changed directory and do the CTRL+R
or
2. log out and log in again to the FTP - then the new changes will be found by the comparison in "Synchronize directories"'

Mat
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

You have to disable the FTP cache for your connection.
Ctrl-F on the 2nd tab
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1373a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
lares

Post by *lares »

You mean in the FTP connections settings?
"Remember contents of all visited directories (in cache)"?
The box is empty - not checked by me (never was ticked).

Mat
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

lares wrote: 2023-08-08, 08:38 UTCI mean, after clicking the "Compare" button again, I do not get any changes displayed, where there were changes, new uploads, done on the server by another users in the meantime.
I checked the history.txt once to see whether there were any changes to FTP between Tc10.52 (you have used that before, didn't you) and Tc11 (you mean FTP and not SFTP, which is something different and is handled by a plugin). There have been numerous changes to FTP. However, they seem to mostly affect cosmetic adjustments. I can't say whether there might be a side effect. I haven't used FTP (and even FTPS) for a long time, just SFTP. Probably only ghisler(author) can say that and test it if necessary. Maybe take a look at the history.txt yourself (in the Tc program directory and find something between Tc11 release and Tc10.52 final)

JOUBE
lares

Post by *lares »

JOUBE wrote: 2023-08-08, 09:12 UTC I checked the history.txt once to see whether there were any changes to FTP between Tc10.52 (you have used that before, didn't you)
It is very possible - I do not remember my last TC version number regretely...
and Tc11 (you mean FTP and not SFTP, which is something different and is handled by a plugin).
Yes - FTP, not SFTP
There have been numerous changes to FTP. However, they seem to mostly affect cosmetic adjustments. I can't say whether there might be a side effect. I haven't used FTP (and even FTPS) for a long time, just SFTP. Probably only ghisler(author) can say that and test it if necessary. Maybe take a look at the history.txt yourself (in the Tc program directory and find something between Tc11 release and Tc10.52 final)
Hopefully will the author look here at some point :)

And thank you for the tip to look into the history.txt - I'll try to find something there.

Mat
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

lares wrote: 2023-08-08, 09:32 UTC Hopefully will the author look here at some point :)
I think so.
lares wrote: 2023-08-08, 09:32 UTC And thank you for the tip to look into the history.txt - I'll try to find something there.
Good luck about that (for me it is surprisingly much (over 20 hits)) ;-)
lares

Post by *lares »

JOUBE wrote: 2023-08-08, 09:38 UTC Good luck about that (for me it is surprisingly much (over 20 hits)) ;-)
Checked it - yes - many hits, but nothing obvious in relation to my concern.

The last hope is Mr Ghisler :)

Mat
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

lares wrote: 2023-08-08, 09:47 UTC Checked it - yes - many hits, but nothing obvious in relation to my concern.
What's about these lines (have both in it 'ftp' and 'Synchronize dir')? side effects?

Code: Select all

28.06.23 Fixed: Synchronize dirs: When uploading files to ftp from  a case-insensitive directory, preserve case of matched remote file to not create duplicates (32/64)
27.06.23 Added: Synchronize dirs: Better handling of case sensitive folders: Case sensitive sync when both sides support case sensitive names, e.g. two local directories or one local and one ftp/plugin (32/64)
25.06.23 Fixed: Synchronize dirs: Synchronizing from local directory supporting case-sensitive names to FTP could overwrite wrong files if there was already a file with that name on the server (32/64)
lares wrote: 2023-08-08, 09:47 UTC The last hope is Mr Ghisler :)
Ever ;-)

Joube

Edit: one additional thing: In the past - a few years ago ;-) - when I was a student and test a app at a university computer and a set flag had no effect, the supervisor called the sysop by phone and said to him: Please disable and enable immediate again this option. After that it worked. In other words: Set the cache tick once, do everything, log out, delete the cache tick again, try again. Restart Tc in between.... HTH
lares

Post by *lares »

Please disable and enable immediate again this option.
Did this thing already ;)

But I have noticed something else different from the previous version.

The FTP connection does not expire...
Previously it _did_ expire after some time of inactivity, despite the fact, that in the configuration I did check the "Send command to keep the connection alive" option.

Now, it does not kick me out of the server... Almost ever.

So maybe some fix of the "keep alive" option caused now the problems with not refreshing the content of subdirectories?
I previously _had_ to connect again often.
Now a forced log out and then log in again resolves the issue for this one time - until I have to log out and then log in again to check new changes...

Mat
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Trouble with "Synchronize directories" in FTP connection

Post by *petermad »

Moderator message from: petermad » 2023-08-08, 15:01 UTC

Fixed typo in topic title - for better search-ability
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Please check whether the following buttons are all DOWN:
<-
=/=
->
duplicates
singles

My guess is that the button "duplicates" isn't down. Then TC will only show files which are new on either side, but not files which are updated (present on both sides).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
lares

Post by *lares »

Duplicates and singles are activated.

Normally I use -> and /= both on and = and <- both off.
I have the FTP left and my local drive right.
I'm interested in knowing if and which files are new or altered on the FTP in comparison to my local drive (there and here is exact the same folder structure).

It seems TC does not really go into each subfolder or it goes there, but does not refresh the files list - is it possible?

Mat
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I have checked the code: it's a bug in the 64-bit version only. The option to cache directories is being ignored in some cases, so the directories get cached and not re-read.
Until there is a fix, you can either
- return to TC 10.52
or
- use the 32-bit version of TC 11.00
or
- disconnect and reconnect before running sync again
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com