[TC 11.0x] The "Search result:" tab is not closed in *.lst when using "Feed to listbox" when folder tab is locked.

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

cpp64

[TC 11.0x] The "Search result:" tab is not closed in *.lst when using "Feed to listbox" when folder tab is locked.

Post by *cpp64 »

tc: 11.00 (32/64), 11.01rc1 (32/64)

# Symptom
The "Search result:" tab is not closed in *.lst when using "Feed to listbox" in "Find Files" when *.lst folder tab is locked.

# captured mp4 download
https://we.tl/t-z6VqWXO67l

# reproduce
1. Install diskdir(*.lst) plugin
2. Make totalcmd.lst by using totalcmd folder
3. Enable "Show tab header also when there is only one tab"
4. Enter in totalcmd.lst
5. Lock this(totalcmd.lst) tab
6. Find *.exe in search
7. Click "Feed to listbox (Alt + L)"
8. Press "Ctrl + T" or "Ctrl + Up" on any *.exe files.
// bugs
9-1. Close(Ctrl + W) "Search result:" tab --> not closed
9-2. Click "totalcmd.lst" tab --> creates "Search result:" tab
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [TC 11.0x] The "Search result:" tab is not closed in *.lst when using "Feed to listbox" when folder tab is locked.

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I can confirm the problem, it happens with all types of archives. The reason is that TC should open a new tab because the tab is locked, but it doesn't because the base folder is the same as the archive name. It works with directories because no path is shown in the title.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
cpp64

Re: [TC 11.0x] The "Search result:" tab is not closed in *.lst when using "Feed to listbox" when folder tab is locked.

Post by *cpp64 »

2ghisler

It it possible to use "Ctrl + Up" and "Ctll + Left/Right" in Archives like in normal folders when using "Feed to listbox" in "Find files" ?
Pressing 'Ctrl + Left/Right' in the "Feed to listbox" shows the root of the archive, not the searched file.
It will be verfy useful when searching files in a archive(*.lst).
Last edited by cpp64 on 2023-08-25, 07:55 UTC, edited 4 times in total.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, that's currently not supported. I will add it to my wish list.
cpp64

Post by *cpp64 »

2ghisler
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-08-25, 07:42 UTC No, that's currently not supported. I will add it to my wish list.
I forgot to mention "Ctrl + b" in the archive.
"Ctrl+b" shows all files below the root of the archive, not the current directory of the archive.
Could you also add "Ctrl + b" to the wishlist?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I tried adding it but it caused all kinds of problems, so for now you can only see the branch view of the entire archive.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

This should be fixed in Total Commander 11.01 RC2, please try it! Please also test it with Commands - Search in separate process!
cpp64

Post by *cpp64 »

2ghisler
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-08-25, 13:56 UTC This should be fixed in Total Commander 11.01 RC2, please try it! Please also test it with Commands - Search in separate process!
tc: 11.01rc2 (64bit)

Not fully fixed.
"Lock this tab" in archives is fixed.
But there is a workaround to reproduce the bug.

# reproduce
----------
1. Enter in *.zip/lst
2. Set folder tab to "Locked, but directory changed allowed"
3. Search any file in "Find files"
4. Click "Feed to listbox"
5. Set folder tab to "Lock this tab"
6. Press "Ctrl + T" or "Ctrl + Up".
// bugs
7-1. Close(Ctrl + W) the "Search result:" tab --> not closed
7-2. Click the "locked folder(archive) tab" --> creates "Search result:" tab
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, there are certainly 100s of other ways to lock a tab with a search result. It's not possible to prevent them all.
cpp64

Post by *cpp64 »

2ghisler
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-08-25, 19:24 UTC Well, there are certainly 100s of other ways to lock a tab with a search result. It's not possible to prevent them all.

Confirmed Fixed in TC 11.01rc2 (32/64 bit)

ps.
I rellay found the detour by accident.
I know that most people, myself included, don't use "lock a tab" in archives that way.
This is a bug that is unlikely to happen unless you intentionally try to cause it.
And the bug is just inconvenient, not harmful.

ps2.
The bug also occurs when the "Search results:" tab itself is locked in archives.
I report this in case you want to improve the operation in archives later.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maybe I should disable locking tabs in archives? It is lost anyway when you close and re-open Total Commander, but maybe there is use case I don't know about?
cpp64

Post by *cpp64 »

2ghisler
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-08-27, 07:22 UTC Maybe I should disable locking tabs in archives? It is lost anyway when you close and re-open Total Commander, but maybe there is use case I don't know about?
The "Locking tab" in archives is just as useful as in the normal folder.
When locking tab in archives, you can start from there rather than the root of the archive.
It allows incremental navigation like the snapshot of VM.
If the problem occurs, simply unlocking the tab manually is enough.
Disabling locking tab in archives is too aggressive a solution to the problem.

ps.
I found something intersting.
"Ctrl + Left/Right" in "Feed to listbox" in archives works when the opposite tab is in the root of the same archive.
In some cases, "Ctrl + Left/Right" points to the full path.
In other cases, "Ctrl + Left/Right" only points to half of the full path.
It's not perfect.
But you can change the path on the opposite tab using "Ctrl + Left/Right" in "Feed to listbox" in archives.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I will disable locking of tabs when there is a search result, and it has a base directory. Results showing normal files have an empty path and are fine.
"Ctrl + Left/Right" in "Feed to listbox" in archives works when the opposite tab is in the root of the same archive.
In some cases, "Ctrl + Left/Right" points to the full path.
In other cases, "Ctrl + Left/Right" only points to half of the full path.
It's not perfect.
But you can change the path on the opposite tab using "Ctrl + Left/Right" in "Feed to listbox" in archives.
I will not address this problem for now.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Moderator message

Moved to will not be changed