Separate commands for renaming files (folders) and for changing the file extension would be safer / more user-friendly

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

oko

Re: Separate commands for renaming files (folders) and for changing the file extension would be safer / more user-friend

Post by *oko »

You can use multirename tool instead of rename/move. In MRT you can rename also only one file (under cursor). And:
- there is separated fields as is required in post - one for name and one for extension.
- moving in field and add or remove strings before or after name is easier.
- you can remain the original name and add string before or after, or you can simply overwrite it.
- you can immediatelly see the result in window
- you can add variable strings (counter, date atc.), that F6 does not offer.
- there is history of previous renamings.
Maybe only to appropriate decide if you use F6 or Shift+F6 or Ctrl+M.
9kvD38n6

Re: Separate commands for renaming files (folders) and for changing the file extension would be safer / more user-friend

Post by *9kvD38n6 »

Yes, it has a great many useful features but in most situations using it would be overkill for me. Also, editing the existing file name with it seems cumbersome as you'd have to figure out stuff like [N1-4]blabla[N8-XX]. In that case you'd best copy the name from the file list, then open the multi-rename tool and paste the name into the [N] edit box. Not very accessible...

In Autohotkey, I could automate
  1. copy filename
  2. open MRT
  3. paste filename to replace [N] placeholder
  4. select all
via a shortcut like Shift-Ctrl-m.

That should be close to what I want while not a usability improvement for users in general.
Last edited by 9kvD38n6 on 2024-02-08, 20:52 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

9kvD38n6 wrote: 2024-02-08, 20:03 UTC Yes, it has a great many useful features but in most situations using it would be overkill for me. Also, editing the existing file name with it seems cumbersome as you'd have to figure out stuff like [N1-4]blabla[N8-XX]. In that case you'd best copy the name from the file list, then open the multi-rename tool and paste the name into the [N] edit box. Not very accessible...
No :!: if you have a file name list then you open the mrt, press F10 and select edit names :!:
Hoecker sie sind raus!
9kvD38n6

Post by *9kvD38n6 »

Okay, so to edit one filename, instead of
  1. F6 (or other simple shortcut)
  2. edit keystrokes
  3. Enter
you are suggesting
  1. Ctrl-m
  2. F10
  3. e
  4. edit keystrokes
  5. Ctrl-s
  6. Alt-F4 (close editor)
  7. Enter (confirm)
  8. Enter (start rename)
?

My intention was to make rename more straightforward for the user, not a great deal more complex.

But thanks a lot for pointing out this great feature to use when renaming multiple files at the same time! (quite a different use case, though)
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

9kvD38n6 wrote: 2024-02-08, 20:40 UTC Okay, so to edit one filename, instead of
  1. F6 (or other simple shortcut)
  2. edit keystrokes
  3. Enter
you are suggesting
  1. Ctrl-m
  2. F10
  3. e
  4. edit keystrokes
  5. Ctrl-s
  6. Alt-F4 (close editor)
  7. Enter (confirm)
  8. Enter (start rename)
?

My intention was to make rename more straightforward for the user, not a great deal more complex.

But thanks a lot for pointing out this great feature to use when renaming multiple files at the same time! (quite a different use case, though)
My hint was obviously not for renaming one file but multiple otherwise you wouldnt talk of a list of file names....
Hoecker sie sind raus!
oko

Post by *oko »

9kvD38n6 wrote: 2024-02-08, 20:03 UTC Yes, it has a great many useful features but in most situations using it would be overkill for me. Also, editing the existing file name with it seems cumbersome as you'd have to figure out stuff like [N1-4]blabla[N8-XX]. In that case you'd best copy the name from the file list, then open the multi-rename tool and paste the name into the [N] edit box. Not very accessible...
Yes, you are right. It is disadvantage.
- MRT has not filename, only mask (placeholder) of filename to edit in field (while F6 has)
- MRT has not path, only mask (placeholder) of path to edit in field (while F6 has)
- F6 has not advantages of MRT like history list, separated list for name without extension, variables (placeholders) like date etc.

So we have 3 ways to rename but it would be great to have their advantages in one. There can be separated multirename and rename. But rename would have all mentioned features.

(analog) e.g. F7 (create new folder) has history, variable strings, why not F6.
Last edited by oko on 2024-02-09, 18:11 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

oko wrote: 2024-02-09, 09:00 UTC - MRT has not ability to move file with renaming (like F6)
This is wrong :!:
MRT is absolutly able to move files to another folder :!:
Hoecker sie sind raus!
9kvD38n6

Post by *9kvD38n6 »

Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2024-02-08, 20:05 UTC No :!: if you have a file name list then you open the mrt, press F10 and select edit names :!:
My use of the term "file list" was imprecise. Really, I meant file list pane or folder pane, not sure what the exact terminology is. Hence the misunderstanding, but I thought it was clear from the context. My bad, sorry.
oko

Post by *oko »

Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2024-02-09, 10:08 UTC
oko wrote: 2024-02-09, 09:00 UTC - MRT has not ability to move file with renaming (like F6)
This is wrong :!:
MRT is absolutly able to move files to another folder :!:
Thanks for correction. I have edited.
oko

Post by *oko »

9kvD38n6 wrote: 2024-02-09, 14:54 UTC
Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2024-02-08, 20:05 UTC No :!: if you have a file name list then you open the mrt, press F10 and select edit names :!:
... file list pane or folder pane, not sure what the exact terminology is.
Tip: You can see TC-help 3a (User interface) for right terminology.
9kvD38n6

Post by *9kvD38n6 »

Good point! After every update, it ends up being in German, though, even though I never set TC itself to German. I've stopped bothering to download the English help file as I barely ever need help anymore.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

29kvD38n6
I've stopped bothering to download the English help file
No need to download it - it is inside the Total Commander installation file - press Ctrl+PgDn of the installer (e.g. tcmd1102x64.exe) double-click on Install.CAB, and double-click on the folder "e" - here you find the English Help files.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
oko

Post by *oko »

9kvD38n6 wrote: 2023-09-11, 08:22 UTC My point is simply that for rename, I think that a simple, basic rename option with the file name in its own edit box without the extension would make the most sense to me. Put the extension into a separate edit box in the same dialog if you will or implement a separate command to change the file type. In fact, I'd be happy with just having an option to exclude the extension from Shift-F6 inline renaming. Then I could use the F6 rename / move dialog in case I wanted to change file type. Does that make sense or am I a minority of 1?
I think you are not minority but 1 of maybe 90%+ majority who extension gets in the way (me too). I would very welcome to have Shift+F6 without extension. The TC could add extension in background after the confirmation of renaming (e.g. by enter). Is there a situation when this design would gets in the way? Shift+F6 without extension would not be in conflict with moving while renaming, still you can add "dir\" before name. And everything you could do, except change extension. The extension could be changed in F6 or MRT as now it is.
oko

Post by *oko »

Dalai wrote: 2023-09-10, 22:43 UTC
9kvD38n6 wrote: 2023-09-10, 20:14 UTCHow likely is the user to want to manually type in a full path different from the target folder?
For me this is very likely. I often move files into a subfolder of the current folder (instead of the opposite pane), so I just need to type "subfoldername\" and press Enter. TC then creates the subdir (if it doesn't exist) and moves the selected objects into that subdir.

Regards
Dalai
I only specify - it is not "just type and enter":
With F6 you need first manually select target path to replace with "subfoldername\". (not very convenient)
With Shift+F6 you need first press Home to add "subfoldername\". (relatively convenient)
sa16

Post by *sa16 »

9kvD38n6
Place the cursor on the file, press the button, get a dialog.