[11.02rc1] SyncChangeDirMode with 2 added: no warning

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [11.02rc1] SyncChangeDirMode with 2 added: no warning

Post by *petermad »

8. User goes to c:\docs\mails, but the right side wouldn't change because c:\docs\letters and d:\backup\letters were remembered as last good location.
If the rule only only applied to going up-dir, wouldn't that prevent this from happening?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

2ghisler(Author)
I feel that the scenario you described is exactly what I would expect from TC, if such a feature was implemented, and I don't see it as a problem. Even more, the fact of changing path on both sides should cause the sync nav mode to turn off automatically. From my perspective, it's more intuitive than TC trying to guess too hard, and turning the sync mode back on when the user did not even expect it.

2petermad
Only up-dir is too restrictive. I don't think TC should restrict the ways you use to get into the required destination. As soon as the inactive panel's path was never changed after "breaking" the syncnav, returning to the original path in the active dir should restore the syncnav mode.
For example, if I'm in some non-matched subdir (the syncnav mode is "suspended"). I can temporary jump to some completely different path using a bookmark (a standard one, that doesn't change the inactive panel), then press Back, then go up. It will put me into the path I was in, when the syncnav broke. With your "only up dir" restriction, I will no longer have the syncnav; according to my suggestion it will resume from where it was suspended.

If that seems too unintuitive, some options could be added, which control the actions, that would reset sync navigation. Then the users could adjust the behavior for their own scenarios.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
7. Users goes to c:\docs and d:\backup via a bookmark
In my view, using a bookmark should reset the synchronous dir changing state to "off".
8. User goes to c:\docs\mails, but the right side wouldn't change because c:\docs\letters and d:\backup\letters were remembered as last good location.
And this is the expected behavior.
Perhaps in a later TC version we could get an "activate sync change dir" checkbox when adding / editing an entry in the dir hotlist.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

OK, I will add an extra value 4 to add to SyncChangeDirMode to be combined with 1, which will
1. Save the left and right directories as base when trying to go into a subdir with Enter or double click doesn't have a same name directory on the other side
2. don't try to go up or down(!) on the other side when these base directories are saved, and don't match the current left and right directories
3. Remove the saved base directories when changing directory in any other way than Enter or double click, e.g. via bookmark, button, history etc.

Does this cover what you would need?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Does this cover what you would need?
It sounds like it, but it is hard to say for sure until it can be tried.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

2ghisler(Author)
Generally sounds good, but I'd like to suggest allowing the history navigation in this mode too. I personally often use Back instead of Up for simple navigation when using mouse: double-click to enter a subdir, then a mouse button Back for returning. Forcing to switch from mouse to keyboard (or moving the mouse up to the [..] element, and then all the way down again for the next subdir I need) is a significant restriction, which will reduce the usability of this new mode.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
I agree with Flint, keeping Back / History would be useful, if possible.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

OK, I will not clear the base paths when using the history or "go back". You will be able to test it all in RC2, so there will be time for improvement.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

I tried the new value in rc2, and there is a problem when I use Backspace: when the sync mode is in suspended state, it still reacts to Backspace and goes up in both panels, instead of just the active one. If I use Enter or double-click on [..], then it seems to work fine, and changes only the active panel's path (until I reach the saved location).

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

In TC 11.02rc2 with SyncChangeDirMode=7 I experience that if I have SyncChangeDir deactivated and I go into an archive inside another archive (like if I Open tc1102x64_rc2.exe with Ctrl+Pgdn and then go into install.cab) then SyncChangeDir is suddenly being activated again.

It also happens with SyncChangeDirMode=1 and 5.

See: https://tcmd.madsenworld.dk/SyncChangeDir_nestedarchive.mp4
License #524 (1994)
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Flint wrote: 2023-10-11, 15:45 UTC I tried the new value in rc2, and there is a problem when I use Backspace: when the sync mode is in suspended state, it still reacts to Backspace and goes up in both panels, instead of just the active one. If I use Enter or double-click on [..], then it seems to work fine, and changes only the active panel's path (until I reach the saved location).
Confirmed. It works OK if I go back with Alt+leftArrow or via the Directory history (Alt+downArrow)
License #524 (1994)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good catch, Backspace is handled elsewhere.

Going into an archive currently disables the base paths.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Going into an archive currently disables the base paths.
How about the unwanted automatic activation of SyncChangeDir when going into a nested archive - as I described here above.
License #524 (1994)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

How about the unwanted automatic activation of SyncChangeDir when going into a nested archive - as I described here above.
That's because you are going to an entirely different directory (in TEMP).
Maybe I should completely disable SyncChangeDir when going into a nested archive?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Maybe I should completely disable SyncChangeDir when going into a nested archive?
Currently even if SyncChangeDir is NOT activated it suddenly gets activated when entering a nested archive - that can't be right. If I have manually turned SyncChangeDir off, it should only be activated by me again, not by TC when navigating. I am talking about deactivated SyncChangeDir not suspended SyncChangeDir.
License #524 (1994)