FileCompare please add count of current difference to status-bar

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

georgeb

Re: FileCompare please add count of current difference to status-bar

Post by *georgeb »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-10-09, 10:14 UTC That would indeed be much easier, but people would immediately complain that it doesn't work in edit mode. :(
Why would they? Currently nobody is complaining either that the total number of differences found (and shown in status-bar) resulting from the initial comparison may no longer be valid once the file has been edited and perhaps considerably been changed by the user in edit-mode?

My suggestion would be - once edit mode has been entered and changes been made - simply stop displaying such info as it may not be reliable any longer and as a consequence people might indeed complain about false or misleading info being shown.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

people would immediately complain that it doesn't work in edit mode.
Mention it in the help that it doesn't work if the files has been edited - people that complain, should at least bother to read the help.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
people would immediately complain that it doesn't work in edit mode
That would simply be a known limitation.
Later a button "Recalculate" or so could be added.
My suggestion would be - once edit mode has been entered and changes been made - simply stop displaying such info as it may not be reliable any longer
Nah, make it "grey" or "disabled" or prepend a question mark or so, I'd still want to see the information, as in "ok, I made three corrections, five more to go".

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
georgeb

Post by *georgeb »

Hacker wrote: 2023-10-09, 11:27 UTC That would simply be a known limitation.
Later a button "Recalculate" or so could be added.
A very helpful idea. I totally support that!
+++
Hacker wrote: 2023-10-09, 11:27 UTC Nah, make it "grey" or "disabled" or prepend a question mark or so, I'd still want to see the information, as in "ok, I made three corrections, five more to go".
I could certainly live with that, too. I just wanted to counter Christians argument that multiple user-complaints might arise from inaccurate numbers given. But I think your idea of a "Recalculate"-button would even better take care of that without the necessity of perpetual automatic recalculations triggered by every letter changed in edit-mode which would make the whole process far too clumsy let alone grind it down to a standstill - none of which have been my intention when making this proposal.