Searching multiple disks with "Advanced" stops after one

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

al20878

Searching multiple disks with "Advanced" stops after one

Post by *al20878 »

Hi,
I was trying to search all files on all "Local drives" that are less than an hour long... So the search (Alt/F7) dialog showed empty "Search for", 5 drives drives separated by commas populated by the "Drives" button and "Not older than" "1 Hour" selected in the "Advanced" tab.
The search stopped after it was done with the first drive (C:\)...
If I searched other drives one by one, it was able to find such files on the last drive as well, but it never went there, from the "group search".
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Searching multiple disks with "Advanced" stops after one

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Multiple drives or paths must be separated by semicolons, not commas. Try the "Drives" button, it adds for example
C:\;D:\
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

Multiple drives or paths must be separated by semicolons, not commas.
But how will we, in this case, separate the correct path, which actually contains both
a comma and a semicolon in its name, from the enumeration of some paths separated
by semicolons?
#146217 personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

TC looks for a semicolon followed by either a drive letter and colon, e.g. ;c: or by two backslashes, e.g. ;\\ for an UNC path. Neither of them can appear within a path, so
c:\path1;d:\path2
can't be a valid path by itself.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-10-12, 08:23 UTC Multiple drives or paths must be separated by semicolons, not commas.
1) With a clean ini and drive letter "t", the dot of the semicolon touches the "t", making the semicolon look like a comma. Is this a bug in the Windows font?

2) If I use a comma instead of a semicolon then the error "Search path not found" appears. But only for the first term.

Suppose drives c:, d: and e: exist.

Code: Select all

Search in: c:\,d:\;e:\
The error "Search path not found" does appear.

Code: Select all

Search in: c:\;d:\,e:\
The error "Search path not found" does not appear.
al20878

Post by *al20878 »

> Multiple drives or paths must be separated by semicolons, not commas. Try the "Drives" button, it adds for example C:\;D:\

I used exactly the Drives button, as I described, and WHATEVER it used to separate the drives (comma or semicolon) -- when populating the path element in the search form -- caused only the first drive to be searched.

When I said,

> drives separated by commas

I should have said "separated by whatever was placed in there by the button"... I mistook the semicolons for commas because of the small font and the tiny upper dots... But I guess, I should not be concerned about that at all -- if the line was auto-filled, it should have used the correct separator, I presume, and then should have caused all of that list of the drives to be processed, but it didn't -- that's the entire point of this report.

And oh, BTW, I did not "select all" drives. First, I selected "local harddisks", and then I deselected one. So this is exactly what the "search in" was filled with, when I clicked "ok":

c:\;d:\;f:\;g:\;i:\

The results were only from the drive "C:". But the matching files (per the "Advanced" tab) also existed on the drive "I:" -- confirmed when searching just that drive with the same "Advanced" condition (and only "I:\" in the "Search in" field).
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

al20878 wrote: 2023-10-12, 13:45 UTC The results were only from the drive "C:". But the matching files (per the "Advanced" tab) also existed on the drive "I:" -- confirmed when searching just that drive with the same "Advanced" condition (and only "I:\" in the "Search in" field).
I cannot reproduce that. Are you able to produce that erroneous result again?
al20878

Post by *al20878 »

I cannot reproduce it, either. But it happened to me last night when it was reported.

Feel free to disregard this concern then.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

1) With a clean ini and drive letter "t", the dot of the semicolon touches the "t", making the semicolon look like a comma. Is this a bug in the Windows font?
2) If I use a comma instead of a semicolon then the error "Search path not found" appears. But only for the first term.
The search function only warns when the first search path is wrong, not for all the others. I prefer not to change this, because otherwise you may get a warning after a long time (when TC is finally done searching the first path).
Feel free to disregard this concern then.

Moderator message

Moved to "will not be changed"