[TC 11.02RC3] cm_SyncChangeDir — synchronous exit from directories with different names

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

[TC 11.02RC3] cm_SyncChangeDir — synchronous exit from directories with different names

Post by *Fla$her »

I've already written about it:
Fla$her wrote: 2023-10-13, 19:56 UTC It remains to fix it so that there is no synchronous change of different-named directories when switching to the parent by Backspace or Enter on [..].
Fla$her wrote: 2023-10-15, 08:55 UTC I hope this bug will be fixed.
Also, the exit from the folder on the other panel occurs if you do the same from the FTP root folder or drive list (cm_OpenDrives).

Moderator message from: petermad » 2023-11-02, 11:03 UTC

Moved to "TC fixed bugs" from "TC Behaviour which will not be changed" by request of Fla$her:
Reported by Fla$her « Thursday 02-11-2023, 11:39:54
The original bug has been fixed. Move the topic here: viewforum.php?f=15
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [TC 11.02RC3] cm_SyncChangeDir — synchronous exit from directories with different names

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I disagree.
What do other think?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [TC 11.02RC3] cm_SyncChangeDir — synchronous exit from directories with different names

Post by *Fla$her »

What exactly do you disagree with? The synchronous change (either by Enter or by Backspace) has always touched only the same-name folders. Now it has changed. Moreover, the behavior in the FTP roots and drive list is completely illogical, there is no synchronicity as such, there is an unforeseen change in only one of the panels. How can such behavior be considered correct if it is nothing more than a bug?
Overquoting is evil! 👎
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Hmm, I find that "no synchronous change of different-named directories when switching to the parent by Backspace or Enter on [..]" is already fixed, also for FTP. in RC3
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2petermad
Do you have this on both TC arch's?
Have you checked this without a SyncChangeDirMode key or with a specific value?
What happens in the other panel when you press Backspace in the drive list?
Overquoting is evil! 👎
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2ghisler(Author)
2petermad
There will be no answers to the questions?
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maybe add another option?
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2ghisler(Author)
Add an option so that there is no bug? :? I ask you to explain the expediency of the current behavior, which did not exist before. What is the logic of synchronicity? In order for the enter and exit to work equally, i.e. with the directories of the same name, as it was before. Now this is how only entering works, but not exiting. What is the reason? I don't understand. The fact that Backspace in the root of FTP and the drive list changes the directory in another panel, do you also not consider a bug? Does this also require an option? :shock:
Overquoting is evil! 👎
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Fla$her wrote:Have you checked this without a SyncChangeDirMode key or with a specific value?
What happens in the other panel when you press Backspace in the drive list?
I have checked both wih no SyncChangeDirMode key and with SyncChangeDirMode=7

If I, while SyncChangeDir is on, have gone into a subdir, that does not exiest in the other side (so that either SyncChangeDir is disabled of suspended (setting 7)), and I then go back updir from that dir with BackSpace or double-click on [..], then the opposite side does NOT change, as expected.

In order for the enter and exit to work equally, i.e. with the directories of the same name, as it was before. Now this is how only entering works, but not exiting.
Well, it does work here - are you sure you are testing with rc3?
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

petermad wrote: 2023-10-22, 11:44 UTC are you sure you are testing with rc3?
Yes, 100%. This is clearly visible with SyncChangeDirMode=1, when there is no suspension. Have you checked on x32?
Overquoting is evil! 👎
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Fla$her
32bit and 64bit TC behaves the same here.

I have to use SyncChangeDirMode=5 (or 7) if I do not want to not go updir in both panels if I (while SyncChangeDir is enabled) went into a folder with a name that doesn't exist on the other side.

Are you perhaps talking about the behaviour if you turn SyncChangeDir on while in two dirs with different names and then press BackSpace immediately? In that case TC goes updir in both panels and are not in sync. But why would you do that?

Or maybe I have completely misunderstood you problem. Try with a step by step instruction on how to reproduce the behavior your think is faulty.
License #524 (1994)
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

petermad wrote: 2023-10-22, 17:20 UTC Are you perhaps talking about the behaviour if you turn SyncChangeDir on while in two dirs with different names and then press BackSpace immediately? In that case TC goes updir in both panels and are not in sync. But why would you do that?
Strange question. What difference does it make what I do if the behavior itself does not agree with the logic of synchronicity? You've confirmed the described bug yourself. With =1, you don't need to specifically turn on the mode immediately before exiting the folder to catch it, this can be done at any time. That's the difference from 5/7. Go to the FTP root or drive list and click Backspace immediately after enabling the mode. You'll see how the subfolder (including ftp and wfx subfolders) is replaced by the parent in another panel. This is the same bug.

Synchronous exit from the same-name folders, just like entering them, shouldn't be disturbed by any key value. This is simply wrong.
If the folder name in the inactive panel doesn't match the name in the active one, there is no longer any question of synchronicity, then the directory change in both directions (up or down) should occur only in the active panel (similar to how it happens in Free Commander, on the example of which this function was requested).

Even from the point of view of usefulness, there is no sense in simultaneously exiting folders with different names. It's just a useless feature if it were intended that way.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It has been discussed before why the current directory name can't be used to decide whether we should go up on the other side or not.
Example:
1. Start with c:\test and d:\test
2. Go to subdir "other" on the left which doesn't exist on the right
-> we are now in c:\test\other and d:\test
3. Go to subdir "test" on the left which doesn't exist on the right
-> we are now in c:\test\other\test and d:\test
4. Go up one level on the left. Since "test" is the name of the current directory on both sides, should we go up one level on the right too? No!
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2ghisler(Author)
It's not clear how your example has anything to do with what I write. I write about unreasonable exit in another panel with different folders, drive list or FTP root, and you write about exit from the same-name folders.

Moreover, I disagree with the rationale itself when SyncChangeDirMode=1. It is not necessary to turn on the mode immediately before the synchronous change of folders. You can enter the desired directories at any time when the mode is enabled (in particular, using %COMMANDER_EXE% /O /L=<path> /R=<path>). It's possible that the necessary files are in c:\test\Program\Program after unpacking the archive, and not in c:\test\Program. As a result of enabling the mode from c:\test\Program we won't get the necessary synchronicity after entering c:\test\Program\Program.

It's correct for the user to determine how to open folders himself, so that the mode works at the right moment with same names, and not the program determines which same-name folders to exclude from synchronicity, otherwise the user will have to spend extra time disabling and enabling the mode, while it should work according to a uniform algorithm, which, in fact, is lies in the essence of the request.
I recommend you to see how it works in Free Commander.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have now implemented this, please let me know what you think:
24.10.23 Added: cm_SyncChangeDir: Going up one level is now handled in a similar way to going down: If the names of the left and right directories are different, the function gets turned off or suspended just like when the clicked subdirectory doesn't exist on the other side (32/64)