Inconsistency of tabs icons

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MarekKnapek

Inconsistency of tabs icons

Post by *MarekKnapek »

Hi, I'm using TotalCommander with tabs (that CTRL+T hotkey thing). I have multiple tabs open, each tab header contains name of the folder that is opened in that tab. No icons. Except the `Downloads` folder, that tab has its name plus an icon, I suspect that is because the `Downloads` folder has an `desktop.ini` file in it for appearance customization reasons.

So far so good.

Except when I create a folder that is both `read only` and uses the `NTFS compression` at the same time. In that case the folder icon in file/folder list changes, instead of yellow folder it is yellow folder with blue compression arrows. And tab header now starts to have an icon, it had no icon before.

This is also inconsistent with the File Explorer, I tried to change attributes of few folders back and forth a few times and I ended up with Explorer and TC disagreeing on what folders should have the blue arrows and what folders should not. Not sure who was correct and who was wrong.

I would like to have consistent behavior, so TC to agree what Explorer says. Even better, do not show folder icon in tab header only in case of compression (desktop.ini could stay as it is today).
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Inconsistency of tabs icons

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Total Commander requests a custom icon both in the file lists and on tabs when a folder has the read only or system flag set. It also does it for hidden folders on tabs (but not in file lists). Interestingly, Alt+Enter (Which is part of Explorer) also shows the compressed folder icon. So for now I don't have any plans to change this behavior, sorry.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *hi5 »

Perhaps setup a View mode + AutoSwitch mode that shows the icon you wish to see on the tab. TC Plugins in the search options allow for "read only" + "compression" searches so use that.
F4MiniMenu (Forum) - Open selected file(s) from TC in defined editor(s) - A (minimalistic) clone of F4Menu
Source at GitHub (AutoHotkey). TCSyncComments (copy file comments)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Moderator message

Moved to will not be changed
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com