TC 11 Normal (light) Mode: Adjust color of horizontal button bar (solution found)

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Erik-DJ

TC 11 Normal (light) Mode: Adjust color of horizontal button bar (solution found)

Post by *Erik-DJ »

The background color of the horizontal button bar is white (RGB 255,255,255) while the rest of the interface, even the vertical button bar, has the light gray color (clBtnFace; on Win10 this is RGB 240,240,240).
Please make the background color of the horizontal button bar also light gray (also for the drive buttons bar). It would give a more coherent interface. Thanks!
I found a solution for my suggestion in TC: Options > Layout: uncheck 'Windows XP theme background'. Win10/11 do not use the XP theming.

---
Another request (nice to have):
In the dark mode most colors are adjustable by the user, perhaps this could also be made for the light mode? Like the colors for the horizontal lines etc. So the user could choose between the normal mode (Windows current/classic colors), light mode (user adjustable) and dark mode (user adjustable).
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC 11 Normal (light) Mode: Adjust color of horizontal button bar

Post by *petermad »

2Erik-DJ
Just go to "Configuration" -> "Options..." -> "Layout" and disable "Windows XP-theme background (menu+all bars)"

In the dark mode most colors are adjustable by the user, perhaps this could also be made for the light mode? Like the colors for the horizontal lines etc.
Y0u can set the horizontal lines in light mode too with the HorizontalLines= parameter in the [Colors] section of your wincmd.ini

All colors in the [ColorsDark] section can also be used in the [Colors] section except for these four:
DarkForeground=
DarkBackground=
DarkHighlight=
DarkBorder=
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Erik-DJ

Re: TC 11 Normal (light) Mode: Adjust color of horizontal button bar (solution found)

Post by *Erik-DJ »

2petermad
Thanks, I did not know that. It works except for the line directly under the main menu. You can change the HorizontalLines color but when you minimize/restore TC then the line is overdrawn by the default Windows-menu color (dark/black) and later redrawn by the user-color.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC 11 Normal (light) Mode: Adjust color of horizontal button bar (solution found)

Post by *petermad »

2Erik-DJ
It works except for the line directly under the main menu. You can change the HorizontalLines color but when you minimize/restore TC then the line is overdrawn by the default Windows-menu color
It is a know limitation in Normal mode for 32bit TC - see: viewtopic.php?p=434275#p434275

For me it works fine in 64bit TC under Windows 7 and 10 with flat icons disabled (which I don't like anyway), but apparently there are problems under Windows 11 (which I don't have).

There is a solution. You can make a pseudo Normal mode, by selecting Dark Mode and then configure all colors as in Normal mode. Dark mode does not have to be dark - it can be used to make TC look for example like DOS Norton Commander: https://tcmd.madsenworld.dk/nc4tc10.png
In Windows 7 the scrollbar and scrollbar slider uses the DarkBackground and DarkBorder setting, but in Windows 10 the system colors are used for the scrollbar, so here you can not fully configure your own lighter look using Dark mode.

You can download setting files for the Norton look here: https://tcmd.madsenworld.dk/nc4.zip
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
oOoZEUSoOo

Post by *oOoZEUSoOo »

2petermad,

Hi Peter,

you've made a small careless mistake :
You can download setting files for the Norton look here: https://tcmd.madsenworld.dk/nc4.png
If I may, it's not nc4.png but should be nc4.zip ^^

Have a nice evening,
Best regards, Frederic
Last edited by oOoZEUSoOo on 2023-10-24, 01:51 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Registered User. Total Commander : The best file manager...
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2oOoZEUSoOo
Thanks - I have now corrected my previous post.
License #524 (1994)